Introducing myself

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jpete
Textkit Neophyte

Introducing myself

Post by jpete »

Hello to all:

I am excited to find a group of people dedicated to helping each other learn the classic languages. I now know how the ugly duckling must've felt. I am a liberal arts graduate from Wichita State University. I originally majored in the classics but, as a returning adult student, I just didn't have the time to dedicate to learning Latin and Greek so instead I focused on more modern history. However, reading Seneca and Marcus Aurelius in English has kept the fire alive inside me for the Classics. Now that I have more free time I have decided to learn Latin and maybe Greek afterwards. I doubt I'll ever achieve my dream of earning a PhD in Classical Studies but I think knowledge is its own reward. I am most interested in reading more Stoic philosophy, in Latin, but I also want to read St. Jerome's Latin Vulgate Bible in its original form. Any ideas on where to buy books in Latin at a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for collector quality, Accurate, readable, reproductions are totally acceptable. I hope this intro isn't too long. I apologize if I have violated any etiquette rules. I hope to be a regular contributor and helpfully be able to help others in the future.

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

Hello, and welcome to textkit!

You can find a lot of useful help, hints, and information here, though I think we'd all like to know where to find inexpensive but still useful classical texts. At least, they're certainly difficult to find in the states, though you stand a better chance if you travel in England.

I have a copy of Testamentum Novum Latine which I usually take to church with me. I'd love to field any questions you may find yourself asking about the Latin therein (though I'm still learning myself). I've also tackled a little bit of Seneca, mainly an epistle or two. For Marcus Aurelius, though, you'll need Greek, which I haven't had gotten around to studying yet.

Good luck!

David

PS - I'm finishing up an English degree myself but hope to switch over to classical studies for my graduate work.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit!

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

welcome! good luck with thine studies! :)

-AlJon

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

Welcome!

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Carola »

jpete wrote:Hello to all:

....... Any ideas on where to buy books in Latin at a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for collector quality, Accurate, readable, reproductions are totally acceptable.
Second hand book shops near universities (or at least ones that teach Classics) are a good source as students often get rid of unwanted texts. The various texts on-line can also be printed out - if you double side the printing or print 2 pages to a sheet they won't be too bulky. I got a lot from sales at the university, they were selling off old text books to raise money for new additions to their library.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Welcome!! And by the way.....I have Marcus Aurelius' Mediations in the Loeb Classical Library....it is quite wonderful, I originally read them in English quite a few years ago, but now I have been working through them for a while (a year or two) in Greek. It's not too tough of Greek, but it does make you think :wink:

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Kopio wrote:Welcome!! And by the way.....I have Marcus Aurelius' Mediations in the Loeb Classical Library....it is quite wonderful, I originally read them in English quite a few years ago, but now I have been working through them for a while (a year or two) in Greek. It's not too tough of Greek, but it does make you think :wink:
oooh! I'm jealous!
That reminds me of another source of books - those Loeb editions are SO expensive in Australia, so last time I had to buy one for university I looked in the 2nd hand section on Amazon. I bought one in almost new condition for just over half the price of new - and that included postage to Australia.
If I ever become very rich I am going to order every single one of the Loebs - and then spend the rest of my life reading them! :D

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Carola wrote:oooh! I'm jealous! That reminds me of another source of books - those Loeb editions are SO expensive in Australia, so last time I had to buy one for university I looked in the 2nd hand section on Amazon.
How much are they?? Here in the US, they are only about $20 US Dollars each.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I get my Loebs 2nd hand - including tax they cost 15.73 USD each.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Kopio wrote: [How much are they?? Here in the US, they are only about $20 US Dollars each.
I've seen them priced at about $65 Australian!! There seems to be a lot of rip-off prices here on imported books and CD's. I used to order a batch of jazz play-along CD's with a friend of mine - we could get them air freighted to Australia from USA for just over half the price they were on sale in one of the big music stores! This is quite typical, especially if you want something a little out of the ordinary. We can buy imported clothes for next to nothing, yet text books are so dear the universities have special discounted book stores just for students, just to bring them down to the US and UK prices. This is great if the book you want is on the subject's book list, but if not....
I do an order of about 4-5 books every 6 months or so from Amazon which works out cheaper for postage.