What are the kids listening to these days - Round 2

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

What are the kids listening to these days - Round 2

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I asked this question I think about last year and had fun checking out everyone's music suggestions. So let me ask it again, what's everyone listening too that's cool?

Let me start be making some suggestions of my own, I have been listening to Spanish music for about 6 months now. My recommendations are probably pretty typical top 40ish/somewhat sissy suggestions, but hey, I like them.

Cafe Quijano
La Ley
Cafe Tacuba
Bacilos
Juanes
Control Machete and also Los Tetas (explicit and these would be a shocker for Epi since they are Urban Spanish)

My favorite I would have to say is Cafe Quijano, they sing very fast and it's a good pronunciation exercise for me to try and keep up.

For English... this is where I'm a broken record and need some help
I'm listening to too much interpol, death cab, ATB, and u2.

jeff
Textkit Founder

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

The new Kate Bush is pretty good, as is the new Sun Kil Moon. (The latter a covers record of Modest Mouse tunes.)

Jeff, if you're an Interpol fan iTunes has a session with them. It's pretty good, actually. I downloaded it last night.

Later,
WB

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

okay I'm listening to Sun Kil Mono right now, it's not what I expected, tiny cities made of ashes is slow and relaxed, unlike Modest Mouse - Pretty good still.

With Interpol, yeah, I have been listening to a lot of live tracks too. They were in town in last September, but it was on a Monday. I'm only 33 but going out on a Monday night is feeling like too big of deal... sad I know.
Textkit Founder

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

jeff wrote:I'm only 33 but going out on a Monday night is feeling like too big of deal... sad I know.
Trust me, I know. I used to go see shows all of the time, maybe forty or fifty a year. Nowadays I'm lucky to see five a year. No fun getting old! (Newly minted 40 year-old I am.)

WB

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

I guess I am an oddball, but, boy . . . I am into Wagner. Yeah, like Richard Wagner, as in opera. Once I got hooked on classical music, there was sort of, like, no turning back. :shock:

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

Liking classical music isn't odd. My faviorite music person of all time is Chopin.

As for the music I listen too ... I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. A small sample of what comes to mind, in no paticular order ...

Tchaikovsky
Stravinsky
(I love Russian Ballet music and dancing)
Horace Silver
Miles Davis
The Beatles
Nicoletta
Mozart
Bach
Boukman Eksperyans
Dionne Warkwick
The Carter Family
The Wailers

And on and on. There are also a lot of people/groups/whatever which I don't care for much except for a few songs (I don't much care for Al Jolson, but I love his "The Anniversary Song").
Last edited by GlottalGreekGeek on Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:Dionne Warkwick
Her Rhino label best of is really good. "If Anyone Had a Heart" is my favorite. With Dionne and her voice the younger the better. Good stuff.

WB

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:Liking classical music isn't odd.
Sounds good. Especially when it comes from someone as young as you, GGG :D
Stravinsky
Would you be listening to Oedipus Rex, then?

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

GGG great taste (I'm a bit skeptical of Warwick though- I've never given her a fair chance).

I too love classical. I like emotionally driving music. I'm tired of all the droning and whining that has taken our pop culture. Even the "soul" music in today's pop scene is lacking and can't hold a candle to Aretha Franklin.

Nothing rocks more than "flight of the Valkyries" and if you like that you'll love Rachmaninoff "Prelude in C Minor"

I'll have to check out the rest of your lists.

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are current reoccuring fav's and of course I rediscover Miles Davis every year. If you like Miles you'll love Wynton Marsalis!

rimon-jad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rimon-jad »

True Norwegian Black Metal :evil:
I can't imagine my life without music.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Yes, you can add Aretha to my list. Go Soul Sister #1!

I am representative of only a small segment of young people - that is, the teenage art crowd. The people my age who I hang out with, well, some of them go to the opera whenever they can get a free or cheap ticket, I know somebody who composed a piece for a string quartet called "Friday with Mahler" (and heard it performed by more of my peers), and when I was downtown with a male friend guess where he went looking for his girlfriend? Davies Symphony Hall, home of the San Francisco Symphony. The music concerts I go to myself tend to by at Davies Symphony Hall or at the Herbst Theatre or at the Legion of Honor, rather than the Cow Palace or Oakland Coliseum, and I occasional give opera another chance to seduce me. Of all the high-school aged people in San Francisco, I estimate about 1000-1500 of them are part of the teenage art crowd, and in the greater San Francisco Bay Area there are 3000-5000, depending on how you define the "Bay Area". I am definately towards the more hard-core end of the art crowd, probably in the top 200. There is also quite a teenage art crowd in the Los Angeles area, and throughout California, though those living in more urban areas tend to be more sophisticated. Doubtlessly there are teenage art crowds throughout the United States and the world. We may be a minority, but we have excellent taste.

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

led zeppelin and some smiths and morrissey mostly. ive started to listen to fusion artists. my favorite is keiko matsui. throw in some bowie too here and there.

by the way GGG, i love san francisco. i've visited once, it was a blast.

Fabiola
Textkit Member

Post by Fabiola »

another teen here...

I play classical (baroque/classical/romantic) music, so pretty much all I listen to is "classical".. currently into:

Bach
Mozart
Haydn
Schumann
de Falla
Scarlatti
Soler
Vivaldi

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

I listened to classical so long that I lost track of what pop, rock, or country songs were popular. I'm still out of the loop as far American music is concerned because I am now fascinated by German language rock, pop and metal, and am beginning to branch out to other European countries.

Jasmin Wagner (hubba hubba!), Silbermond, Christina Sturmer, Rammstein, Gronemeyer, Oli P, and now, the latest, the four girl Estonian band, Vanilla Ninja (hubba hubba!, hubba hubba!, hubba hubba!, hubba hubba!).

Anyone got suggestions for any other European music? I dont care what country, though I'm still stuck on Germany for the moment. Preferably rock, pop, or metal, but I'll try anything.

Oh, my beautiful Jasmin....I love her....I need her..... oh boo hoo, booo hooo hoo, boo hooo hooo hooooo.............and if she doesn't come to me soon, I'll chase after Maarja from Vanilla Ninja!!..........you know, sometimes I think I'm lost in my own little imaginary world, and that's unsettling........but then the fantasies kick back in, and everything's OK again.........hmmmmmmm

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

I listen exclusively to "classical": Baroque (normally from Lully and possibly Locatelli and Schütz to J.S Bach, G.F. Händel, J.P Rameau, C.P.E Bach...), Classical and Romantic through to some Modern...

I normally listen to music for study though, and to help me to compose pieces in my head while I go to school etc. though I can neither play nor write/transcribe them out (my aural skills have not at all developed). At the moment I am going through Bach's Book II of "Das Wohltemperierte Clavier" and his "Französischen Suiten" and an online analysis of Stravinsky's Pulcinella.

screamadelica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by screamadelica »

Top five artists, for me:

The Fall
The Kinks
Pet Shop Boys
Primal Scream
(whatever I currently dig -- the Velvet Underground, the Dream Syndicate, Massive Attack, Of Montreal, etc.)

Honorable mention: Leonard Cohen

Classical - Romantic period, anything really, although Vivaldi and Bach are also nice. Pompous music tends to turn me off. I'm very hot and cold when it comes to classical music; either I listen to it very often or I don't lisetn to it at all. I'm on a cold streak right now.

Jefferson Cicero: If you're willing to go back a few decades, you can't go wrong with Can; Stereolab carry their influence on their sleeves and are quite good. Air are a little bit like Stereolab but not really. Besides that I know little about European music (I assume you're not talking about crappy Eurotrash-type stuff) except for the French giants. I just got my ears onto some Serge Gainsbourg for the first time and from (very limited) first impressions, he seems a bit like a French Cohen figure in a few respects. You probably don't need another Jacques Brel recommendation but I'm giving you one anyway. I don't like Edith Piaf much but I'm throwing her in to round out the group of French giants. Finally, there's always Einstürzende Neubauten if you like your music not to be music at all.

Neu!
Cluster
Ash Ra Tempel
Tangerine Dream
Kraftwerk
Moebius
Amon Düül II

Finally, electronic music is almost exclusively Continental (and that's another universe entirely -- it'd probably double this post's length if I got into it)). And to close, it doesn't get much better than ABBA. Seriously.
Last edited by screamadelica on Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Señor Boethius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Señor Boethius »

Johnny Cash
Hank Williams (there is only one)
Lou Reed

Nuff said.

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

Screamadelica: Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out. I'm not sure what you mean by 'Eurotrash-type stuff' because I'm still relatively new to European music. What kinds of groups/genres are you referring to? I generally stay away from anything that can be described as 'Eurotrash', so I really would like to know.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I'm not what you would classify as a "kid'. Jazz is probably my favourite, but I must confess a weakness for hip hop.

And on the subject of hip hop - I was visiting a nursing home, mostly full of very aged/dementia patients. They were watching TV when a fill-in video of 50 Cent (a rapper) came on. When the nurse went to change channels they all said they wanted to watch it, then proceeded to to tap feet and (if possible) shuffle around clutching walking frames in time to the music. There is a moral to this story somewhere I am sure, but what it is......
Maybe your sense of humour is the last thing to go. :D

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

One word.....Jamiroquai

If you haven't listened to them, you owe it to youself. I'm a bass player (and sax player) and a total Jazz fanatic (99% of my cd's), but I got on a kick with Jamiroquai a while back, and I'm still on it. I especially like his newest cd "Dynamite" and "A Funk Odyssey" If you dig a great bass line and retro-disco effects with strings and funky synth sounds....check it out.

Other than that.

Miles Davis....Kind of Blue....this is quite possibly the greatest Jazz Album ever made.

Marcus Miller.....Silver Rain...the latest album from arguable the best living bassist (electric) there is.

Schubert......I dig some good classical when I work....it soothes me and helps me to focus...it also keeps the creative side of my brain happy when I'm doing laborious tasks.

Black Flag, Henry Rollins, and Linkin Park....I save these for when I am in an especially bad mood and want to savor it. Henry Rollins is still a very angry man after all these years!

Mainly Jazz though....the selections run far and wide....Sonny Rollins, Brecker Brothers, Pat Metheny, did I mention Miles Davis, David Sanborn, Al Jarrueau, and last but certainly not least.....

Diana Krall. If there is any woman out there that can melt my heart (other than my lovely wife), it is her, with her sultry voice, sweet inflections, and unbelieveable piano playing.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

I listened to some Billy Holiday last night, and I have to add her on too. I didn't like her at first, but when you listen to her again and again it builds momentum each time and moves your more...

I tried Vanilla Ninja. Not bad, but I never felt the urge to listen again.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Re: What are the kids listening to these days - Round 2

Post by Kopio »

jeff wrote:Cafe Quijano
La Ley
Cafe Tacuba
Bacilos
Juanes
Control Machete and also Los Tetas (explicit and these would be a shocker for Epi since they are Urban Spanish)
Ok....I had to check some of these out.... Cafe Quijano is actually pretty cool stuff. I don't speak spanish at all...but definitely a good groove, slick latin music. I also watched a Cafe Tacuba video called Eres....it was pretty good too. Ok...I have offically expanded my music horizons :) Oh yeah....I had to listen to Control Machete...although all I could find were radio edits (like I'd know if they were swearing anyway)....rap in any language to me can be amusing. I like some (Public Enemy, LLCJ) but some of it me up cuz they're trying to be so tough.
jeff wrote:For English... this is where I'm a broken record and need some help
I'm listening to too much interpol, cab, ATB, and u2.
I have a tough time doing a lot of industrial and electronica. I listened to all of these guys.....ATB would drive me nuts after only a little bit. BUT I would say if you like this kind of stuff AND rapish sorts of stuff check out trip-hop. I do enjoy that quite a bit, Faves are Mark Farina( his jazz is hip), RJD2 (very cool) and DJ Shadow.

psilord
Textkit Member

Post by psilord »

Hello,

Lately, I've been consuming a lot of nordic black metal. Stuff like Mithotyn, Asmegin, Finntroll, Dissection, Enslaved, Old Man's Child, Dimmu Borger, Emperor, Myrkskog, and Zyklon. In this list I wrote, you'll find everything from more traditional black-metal to folk music/black metal crossovers. Awesome stuff, really.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

The only thing I've been listening to that hasn't been mentioned here before is Niyaz, a sort of electronic/Persian/Hindi fusion, with established and skilled musicians. Very highly recommended.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

Billy Holiday's awesome, the 'Eres' video's quite outstanding (that's the song that made me like the group), Kind of Blue I'd have to agree is one really good album, Bach's really incredible (musically and technically), Banghra's amazing.

gots to go!