In God we trust?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

In God We Trust on government building?

Yes
33%
No
54%
Maybeh
13%

Total votes: 24

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

PeterD wrote:Moving on, I 've never cared much for that philosophical phoney Leo Stauss and his neocon followers,..
This has been one of our better discussions. I am very much enjoying it. So in putting this question to Peter I do not intend to redirect the thread: Peter, can you name one work by Leo Strauss that you've actually read?

Happy Thanksgiving, Yanks!

Cordially,

Paul

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Paul wrote:
PeterD wrote:Moving on, I 've never cared much for that philosophical phoney Leo Stauss and his neocon followers,..
This has been one of our better discussions. I am very much enjoying it. So in putting this question to Peter I do not intend to redirect the thread: Peter, can you name one work by Leo Strauss that you've actually read?
Paul
I had the wonderful fortune to grow up near a great public library. You'd be pleasantly surprised to know that my reading repertoire is quite voluminous. I even had the pleasure as a young tike of reading My Pet Goat, but unlike your president, Curious George, I finished it. Seriously, though, in order not to go off topic, I'll answer you in the Academy, Paul.

Happy Thanksgiving, Paul. :)

~Peter

p.s. I am truly exhausted. My baby daughter has the stamina of a world class marathon runner. I can barely keep up with her.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

minus273
Textkit Neophyte

Post by minus273 »

How about "IN ZEUS WE TRUST" or "IN THUNDER WE TRUST"?
-- non-American and atheist (a bit pagan, though)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Paul! nice to see you around. How ya doin'?
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

PeterD wrote:
Rhuiden wrote:By the way, it is good to see you still lurking around PeterD. How is your daughter?
Thank you, Rhuiden.

She -- Name: Evlalia (Ev-la-li-a). Date and Time of Birth: Nov. 16, 2005, 10:12 pm. -- is doing great. We celebrated her 1st birthday last week. She is a dynamo -- it's go, go, go with her.

Take care.

~Peter
Ok Peter.....we're still waiting for pictures (Mingshey has been nice enough to post some of his daughter)....

What a lovely name....what does it mean?

Oh, and yes Peter....glad to see you still taking part. Even if you do insult our president (if only there were someone in Canada to make fun of....but alas...no one cares :))

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Lucus Eques wrote:Paul! nice to see you around. How ya doin'?
Hey Lucus,

Nice to be seen. Doing well, thanks.

I've been less active on the several boards lately. But I am following certain threads, including this one. I've very much enjoyed your posts.

I also try to keep Peter in check! :P

Cordially,

Paul

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Kopio wrote:Ok Peter.....we're still waiting for pictures (Mingshey has been nice enough to post some of his daughter)....
Hi, Kopio.

I'd love to post. Unfortunately, I'm still in the dark ages -- I don't have a digital camera, yet. :oops: I will be getting one for Christmas, though. :D
What a lovely name....what does it mean?
Thank you very much. It's my mother's name. It's Greek for fair of speech. In modern Greek, the EU is pronounced EV before the letter lambda. Even in Greece, the name is extremely rare.
Oh, and yes Peter....glad to see you still taking part. Even if you do insult our president (if only there were someone in Canada to make fun of....but alas...no one cares :))
I do my best. :wink:

~Peter

p.s. Ooops! :oops: Year of birth is 2004, not 2005.
Last edited by PeterD on Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Paul wrote:I also try to keep Peter in check! :P
I haven't forgotten you, Paul. Nosiree! I will be posting a reply, soon. Unfortunately, I only have about 15 minutes online; after that, my daughter starts tugging on my pants. :)

~Peter

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

The earliest mention of 'God' in Govt. is in 1865, 76 years after the constitution took effect.
Bullocks.
'When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.'

and that's just the first paragraph. I was trying to paraphrase a paper my teacher passed out. I came to him and corrected his mistake, but he told me I was wrong... :? God bless that man for moulding the minds of our youth in the right way. Nevertheless, I'm still embarassed about the misquote :oops: (or, rather, 'the quotation of misinformation.) I'm glad, though to see so many posts. I guess that means that some people still care. :)

PeterD, Evlalia is a beautiful name, Apollon would be pleased. :)