Good German Grammar?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Deccius
Textkit Neophyte

Good German Grammar?

Post by Deccius »

Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of learning German, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good German grammar (similar to the ones found here at textkit). Also, for those of you who have studied German, what was the hardest part of learning the language? So far, the declension system seems very different from that of Greek or Latin, and the verbs, well they're just weird (strong verbs!). Nonetheless, I am enjoying learning the language, would like to obtain an excellent grammar to continue my studies. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Auf Wiedersehen,
Deccius

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 71-0457448

"ich muss ja euch ja dieses Gestoryschaft erschlöpfen", you would do well to listen to me given my superb deutschgesprachenshalt. I also achieved an A grade last year, meaning that I am excellent, and better at German als whiteoctave.
this is a grammar based course - do not be fooled by the pretty cover. the only disadvantage of this course is that the authors for some (gay!) reason choose to call the accusative case DO and dative case IO. It will not mess you about and if you study well gives you a considerable knowledge in a short time. ego completed the swedish in 3 months book within 3 weeks and haven't really studied the language since tee hee. but quis questus? din mor is all i need. ooh speaking of min mor she is cooking chips i köket forsitan peut-être qu'elle m'en magno muneri gebe?

and of german, i was at a ballet recital yesterday. it was gay, so ich ging zu das toilet weil ich auf dem Kreatine und von Eiweissibus sehr viel war. on the wall or perhaps on the toilet i am not sure i read the word "Geberit" - i have never been so disoriented in my life. why was some one doing this? i was thinking geben then dederit geberit sind sintn[e] eritausgegeben worden? to answer your question, the hardest part of german is the names for sausages. actually that is the 2nd hardest part. the hardest part for me is my german teacher, who hinders my amazing progress.

enough for now, good luck with the german.

~E

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Post by Kynetus Valesius »

Amici

Nescio cur sed cum primum epistulam quam noster Episcopus scripsit legerem recordatus sum huius loci ex Eunuchi Terentii Afri

ere: quae res in se neque consilium neque modum
habet ullum, eam consilio regere non potes.
incerta haec si tu postules
ratione certa facere, nihilo plus agas
quam si des operam ut cum ratione insanias.

Callidus es, amice. Fortasse nimis callidus.

Kynetus

Deccius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Deccius »

episcope,

uno die te spero potero scire, quod tua verba me semper conturbant :(

deccius

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Re: Good German Grammar?

Post by Democritus »

For a grammar, I would recommend A.E.Hammer's German Grammar and Usage. Comprehensive, but concise. A good reference book.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Deccius wrote: tua verba me semper conturbant :(
quid mali?

spero utut sanitatis mei causa tibi sit status, simul cum succurrisse me tum novissimo auxilio tibi inopinato fuisse, Germanice gemitus tam ut decore episcopus quam ille edas.

EPISCOPVS K. P.S.DICIT

latinas anglicis malenti maximas tibi gratias K., qua re magis mi maiore forum frequentium parte places. namque passi sumus canum permultum, nobis vero nimium, novum ergo est libentissime ab latine loquenti honore adfici. at quidnam animo nomine 'whiteautoclave' usus es? fortuito fecisse, si conatus sis, nequaquam poteris quin credam! cuiuspiam sine dubio Germanici illincve femellae mens velut canis ab me Deccium ipsius lingua allocuto et deletur et affligitur quatiturque labefactaturque! quo modo me posse qui Cantabrigiae classicis rebus studeat tantum Germanici excrementi cumulum edentem? praestatne quivis ut homo Germanice temetcum cinaedus canis colloquatur, callidiorem ut appelletur, cunctisque decernatur tibi ingeniosiorem? itaque memet perpaenitet omnium diligenter Germanicis libris laborantium - illorum quibus peritiaque ignota nemo faveat. his tamen rebus extemplo excussis nulliusque subinde culpae nobis conscio, agnoscendumst aliter nunquam fieri posse, quin probi placeant et studiosi multitudini, quippe vult turba et novis insolitisque rebus oblectari, quis enim nisi grandaevus qui consuetis queat carminibus frui? quae ratio, sodalis mi, usque ad virgines attingit: quantovis quidem ingenii quantoque honoris et diginitatis quantulo tamen aut pectorum aut formae ab femellis sine dubitatione sperneris. ast ego qui episcopum incedo dux, eas semper suspicabor, detegendum deinde in discrimen (inter vaginas inter et cerebra) quoque mane proficiscor. timeo tamen ne deficiam.

valetoque

~E

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Episcopus wrote: "ich muss ja euch ja dieses Gestoryschaft erschlöpfen", you would do well to listen to me given my superb deutschgesprachenshalt.
Nice creations... :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I have been asked by several people to translate what I have said, and since K. has done so, I will too. I just thought it a bit arrogant to provide english translations of oneself. Here however is an example that I am neither crazy nor a learner of latin since 1 week using with silly syntax to confuse people (benissimus!)

---

what's wrong?

i hope whatever i may have done to your health that i hastened to help you and be an unprecented aid when you least expected it, so that you might speak german as properly as the famous bishôp.

i thank you for opting to post in latin rather than english K., and for this reason your posts please me more than most, for we have suffered very many dogs, indeed too many for my liking, therefore it's refreshing to be given respect by some one communicating so willingly in latin. but why the truck did you use the name "whiteautoclave" on purpose? should you try to convince me that you did this by accident, you won't be able to make me believe you whatever you do. some german man or woman's mind is being destroyed and shaken by my speaking in their language to Deccius like a dog. how can i be a classicist at cantab. if my german is so poor? is it really better that some random loser [i.e. episcopus] just speaks to you [ok enclitic stack was naughty] in the german of a shameless dog who licks his own bollocks on the daily, in order to be called 'too clever' and that you might decree him to be of greater ingenuity than everyone else. i therefore apologise to all those studying german diligently, whom no one gives any credit, and whose wonderful skill is ignored. yet if you forget about all that and try not to feel any guilt, it is to be considered that it is impossible for honourable and studious people to be popular amongst the masses - indeed of course the crowds want to be entertained by fresh and bizarre doings - for what kind of loser (apart from an old man) can enjoy a show which every one has seen before so many times? And my friend, this way of thinking actually relates to girls too - especially the younger maidens - for however much ingenuity you possess however much respect and dignity you have, you will be rejected by girls if you are ugly or have tiny pecs. but I who am leader of all bishôps, will always have my eye on those scheming little fannies, so every morning i set out to uncover the difference between when their fanny speaks or when their actual mind speaks. often i succeed, but overall i fear that i shall fail.

farewell

~E

Thucydides
Textkit Fan

Post by Thucydides »

Hammer Grammar's the way to go.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

ja! Hammertime Hämmerzeit Thucydididischlöpfkäse!

Hammer is the way to go, I stole this book from my german teacher in year 11, I should really read it some time.