What A Day...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
primitive
Textkit Member

What A Day...

Post by primitive »

It was my 17th birthday last september, and my parents decided to get me something that I really wanted, as long as I gave to them all of the money I had saved up in my room from previous birthdays, etc. What I really wanted was a Gibson Les Paul. We went to the guitar store that day. Just this past Sunday, I chose the one I wanted and we purchased it. I was thrilled, I absolutely love my guitar, it's beautiful. So I told my best friend Sean, one of my best friends, who is the guitarist in my band, and he was almost as happy as me. He's a lot better at guitar and for shows that we play I said that I would let him use it. Anyways, he came over this past monday to see it (and almost died at the sight of it). We were having lots of fun jamming and stuff.

Then Sean's phone rings, and it's his mom. She says that our friend, Stevo, just got in a major car accident. He got his license like four days ago and drives his dad's 1991 blue Corvette. Stevo is the kind of kid that would go 120mph on the highway at 3 pm. How would I know? He has before. I really wans't suprised that he got in an accident, which is sad. He was going about 90mph on a sidestreet and lost control of the car. Then his car spun into a telephone phone. The impact must've come to the side of the car becasue the car complately wrapped around the pole; the driver's window was touching the passenger's window. Stevo was okay though he broke a ton of bones. He broke his thigh bone, his pelvic, tons and tons of others, and was going in and out of consciousness. His friend in the car, luckily, only had a broken rib. I think it's amazing they lived. They would've died on impact. It must not have been five minutes after Sean hung up with his mom that his phone rang again. This time it was our friend Mike. Mike said that another one of our best friends, Andy, was also in another serious car accident. Apparently he was riding on the back of his friend's car and fell off. The car was a Honda Civic and he was sitting on the back. I'm not sure why he was there, I personally think that riding on a car while it's moving is bad. Even though they were 4 seconds from their final desination and the car didnt travel over 10 mph, it was stupid. Andy must've whip-lashed his head on the pavement. He just had brain surgery because of a cracked skull, and he has a huge cut on his lip since he bit his lip on the way down. Stevo just came out of the critical state today, but Andy is still in a self-influenced coma and in critical condition. It was a horrible day. It started off really really good, and then we found out that two of our friends came that close to dying. Andy is still not out of the woods yet either. It almost seems like it should be the other way around. I would expect Stevo to be dead and Andy to have a bunch of bruises and talking about Stevo with us. But we're visiting Stevo tomorrow and bringing him Playboy, and Andy could die. As bad as I feel saying it, they both deserved it. I just really hope they do okay.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

I'm sorry to hear about your friends. I hope they recover fully. Their behavior, however, reinforces my belief that it is the driving age that should be 21 and the drinking age that should be 18.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I hope your friends will be okay.

Very soon (as in within a year or two) the driving age will go up to 18 in California, which I think is excellent (and I would say that even if I was under the new driving-age restrictions, and not the old ones). I have heard that it is important to learn how to drive while still young so you build in the right reflexes; still, I agree that the less young people driving on the road unsupervised, the better.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

I wish the best possible outcome for your friends too.

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Post by Kynetus Valesius »

Dear Primitive

I am also saddened by the accident. You wrote,
Then Sean's phone rings, and it's his mom. She says that our friend, Stevo, just got in a major car accident. He got his license like four days ago and drives his dad's 1991 blue Corvette. Stevo is the kind of kid that would go 120mph on the highway at 3 pm. How would I know? He has before.
But I'm wondering if this is the same "stevo" that I've met on the moribund "Latin Language" group on yahoo and who recently posted here at textkit (I think)? The one who speaks Klingon and dabbles in lots of foreign languages? If it is the same, I am half-astonished because I had no idea he was so young-but then again I've been mixing up a lot of things lately.

I myself have three boys about the same age and they too are a bit on the out-of-control side of some things so your post really has me thinking.

Finally, kindly wish your friend "stevo", whether I know him or not, a speedy recovery on my behalf. Kynetus

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

when i hear stories about car crashes like this it confirms my intention to go through life without ever learning to drive. i hate cars. i was almost relieved of my head 2 years ago by a car which came up onto the footpath at high speed and plowed into us pedestrians waiting at an intersection... smashed the telegraph pole next to me into the head of the person next to me; i only got the bumper bar flying through the air which missed my head but got the back of my hand protecting my head... now i have a nice long scar on the back of my right hand, although it only clipped my tendon so all ok now. what made the story bizarre is that the ambulance dropped me off at casualty and the doctor who treated me was one of my college friends and flatmates after college... he'd just started as a intern after finishing med and he thought i'd just come to say hi to him at work :)

i'd rather pay more to live within walking distance of work than buy one of those stupid 20th c contraptions and have to drive.

re the nicer "guitar" story... i just bought last week a nice Gliga cello from romania, i know how you feel :)

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

Kynetus Valesius wrote:Dear Primitive

I am also saddened by the accident. You wrote,
Then Sean's phone rings, and it's his mom. She says that our friend, Stevo, just got in a major car accident. He got his license like four days ago and drives his dad's 1991 blue Corvette. Stevo is the kind of kid that would go 120mph on the highway at 3 pm. How would I know? He has before.
But I'm wondering if this is the same "stevo" that I've met on the moribund "Latin Language" group on yahoo and who recently posted here at textkit (I think)? The one who speaks Klingon and dabbles in lots of foreign languages? If it is the same, I am half-astonished because I had no idea he was so young-but then again I've been mixing up a lot of things lately.

I myself have three boys about the same age and they too are a bit on the out-of-control side of some things so your post really has me thinking.

Finally, kindly wish your friend "stevo", whether I know him or not, a speedy recovery on my behalf. Kynetus
hahahahaha nooooo the stevo i know would never be able to comprehend the nominitive case! god no haha.