Huge Latin Language Resource on Net Temporarily; HELP

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Huge Latin Language Resource on Net Temporarily; HELP

Post by Kynetus Valesius »

Hi all,

I've just received notice that a there is a pdf on the net of a document called something like "Phraeseologia Wagneri". This supposedly is a great resource for people wishing to write/speak latin. The problem is that this file is too big apparently for me to download and that it won't be available on the net for long. It's like a one time deal. Can someone try to snag it for US. We can figure out what we are going to do with it later (i.e., break it into smaller pdfs or digitalize). Here is the link which I've run through "tinyurl":

http://tinyurl.com/ajtzz

I'll be very grateful if someone can assist.

Kynetus

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Got it.

Copyright 1800s - at least we know that's free and clear.

It is a monster.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

A wonderful text, I want it offline tee-hee

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I've got it - what do you want done with it? (no rude replies!) Do you want it copied on a CD and posted to you?

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Carola wrote:I've got it
I was just going to post the same thing. We must have been downloading at the same time. No wonder it was so slow...

By the way, what crazy person scanned this whole thing in? It looks amazing.

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Actually, folks, in the end I was able to get it too; it's on my work computer! Egad! In any event, thanks at least several gazillions! I found out about this through the other forum (GLL) that I've mentioned here several times recently. It was a fresh post so maybe that explains the slowness of the downloads. Dunno. Anyway it is a good thing that some copies were snaggged because the poster had made clear that's availability was strictly temporary.

After he'd gotten it, the moderator of GLL wrote to us that from now on, he would be using this "fons" as his primary composition assistant. But I don't know what he meant. Would he consult it electronically or print it out for a giant binder? I wrote him a letter to find out. In my own case, however, although I wouldn't mind having a physical copy, a usable copy on the net would be optimum - it's just my style of working. If textkit would (uh oh, there he goes again!) consider making it available in some kind of fragmented but more accessible form similar to the one used by the French site I referenced in my favorite links post I think it might become very popular with advanced latinists. Please, don't get me wrong; I am by no means posing as such a person, or even as anything close to that. I do however run all over the net trying to figure out what these folks are up to and know more than a few through either public or private correspondence or by reputation. Utut res se habet, kindly consider, dear moderators and influential persons, making this available to a wider audience. I wouldn't consider it a drawback either that brief definitions are given in French because anyone able to negotiate the latin could probably penetrate the French as well.
Valete,
Kynetus VALESIUS

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

Thanks a lot, Kynetus. It's indeed pretty cool. But yeah, the download was slow! Hehe.. in any case, worth it. I do agree with you in that people involved with Latin are likely to have at least a workable knowledge of French.

;-)

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

One more thing: edonnelly wrote
By the way, what crazy person scanned this whole thing in? It looks amazing.
I have only been able to get a glimpse (very slowly) of a couple of pages and yes the entries do look amazing - a dictionary of phrases organized around key words. I dimly recall someone (Vojin Nedeljkovic) from Eastern Europe talking about it on GLL, then follow-up discussion, and then Vojin saying how he'd scan it when he had the chance. Then today came the announcement that it was ready, but to hurry up and rush! His sujbect line read "Opus Laudibile..." Kynetus

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

If only someone would do this with the Greek Gradus...

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

Having downloaded it successfully, I closed the Adobe Reader by accident :( Now, I can't find it on the PC and if I try to download it a second time I get an error message. Anyone knows why?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Kynetus Valesius wrote:I dimly recall someone (Vojin Nedeljkovic) from Eastern Europe talking about it on GLL, then follow-up discussion, and then Vojin saying how he'd scan it when he had the chance. Then today came the announcement that it was ready, but to hurry up and rush!
I've contacted Jeff about having Textkit host this. While I wait for a reply, could you get permission from Vojin for Textkit to host it if Jeff consents? The text is of course out of copyright, but it's polite to ask before lifting people's efforts.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

amans wrote:Having downloaded it successfully, I closed the Adobe Reader by accident :( Now, I can't find it on the PC and if I try to download it a second time I get an error message. Anyone knows why?
I know different browsers use different temporary caches, and IE sometimes stores pdf's in places other than its usual cache and often changes the name (including the extension). You might search by date and see if anything on the order of 56,812 KB is anywhere on your PC if you still can't download it.

If textkit does end up hosting this, Jeff will probably apply some compression to it, making it a little easier for everyone to manage.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

annis wrote:
Kynetus Valesius wrote:I dimly recall someone (Vojin Nedeljkovic) from Eastern Europe talking about it on GLL, then follow-up discussion, and then Vojin saying how he'd scan it when he had the chance. Then today came the announcement that it was ready, but to hurry up and rush!
I've contacted Jeff about having Textkit host this. While I wait for a reply, could you get permission from Vojin for Textkit to host it if Jeff consents? The text is of course out of copyright, but it's polite to ask before lifting people's efforts.
This would be a good file to host, but I need to contact the creator and get permission.
Jeff
Textkit Founder

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Dear Jeff, Annis, Others

I reproduce the creator's note to GLL offering the file. As I take it, he grants permission to anyone (quis) wishing to display (proponere) the downloaded (deportum) file anywhere in the net (alibi interretis). Let me know if you require anything further. Regards. Kynetus

Vojin Nedeljkovic sodalibus s. d.

En digitalis factus liber de quo olim locuti sumus:

dekart.f.bg.ac.yu/~vnedeljk/privrem/wagner_phraseologiae-corpus.pdf

Qui scapus cum sit 57 MBorum, tamen multis, ut opinor, non solum inspectu sed etiam deportatu dignus videbitur. Deportate igitur, et cito; neque enim diu illic manere poterit; et deportatum si quis alibi interretis proponere volet, faciat strenue.

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Dear People,

In case the general implicit permission quoted in my previous post is not sufficient, I now post an exchange from GLL between me and Vojin Nedeljkovic, the person who did the scanning and who posted the result yesterday to the net. In his response to me, Nedeljkovic grants permission to textkit to post the material to the net and exhibit it in perpetuity. Papae!

Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:37:49 +0200
Reply-To: Grex Latine loquentium GREX <GREX@MAN.TORUN.PL>
Sender: Grex Latine loquentium GREX <GREX@MAN.TORUN.PL>
Subject: Re: Opus laudabile
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="Windows-1252";
reply-type=original

> Omnibus salutem > > Nunc mihi est scaphus nam tandem post operam strenuam eum ex reti in meum > computatrum extraxi. Possum eum legere et quaerere. Gratias! > > Nunc autem moderatores alius fori (textkit) volunt scaphum in situ suo > proponere. Quod laudo. Attamen illud facere recusant dum recipiant > permissionem explicitam a eo qui laborem perfecit. Quam mitte, Voijne > optime, quam primum, quaeso. Curate ut valeatis quam latinissme. Kynetus

Ajo ego Vojin Nedeljkovic Belgradensis nihil per me obstare quominus scapi a me repositi ad dekart.f.bg.ac.yu/~vnedeljk/privrem/wagner_phraseologiae-corpus.pdf exemplar transferatur perpetuoque exhibeatur in situ interretiali societatis 'Textkit'.

;-)
Last edited by Kynetus Valesius on Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

temp
Textkit Neophyte

Post by temp »

Yes, but are you sure he is happy with you posting his private web directory address on this site?

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Dear temp (?)

Do you have a name?

I didn't post his "private web directory" unless you mean his email address. Now perhaps that was a lapse on my part. On the other hand, I didn't think he'd mind. The reason I included it, lapse or not, was in case the moderators were not satisfied with the forwarded emails from him and wished to contact him directly regarding the permissions to use his material.

But now I'm kinda of worried that I did commit a blunder. Is there any way his email address can be subtracted from my previous post?

Kynetus

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Kynetus Valesius wrote:Is there any way his email address can be subtracted from my previous post?
You should still have the ability to edit your own post (look to see if an "edit" button appears by it when you are logged in). Otherwise, only the moderators can edit it.

temp
Textkit Neophyte

Post by temp »

Kynetus Valesius wrote:Do you have a name?
Yes.
Kynetus Valesius wrote:I didn't post his "private web directory" unless you mean his email address.
I was referring to the bit with the “dekart.f.bg.ac.yu/~******/*******/”.

My understanding of the message was that he was making available a copy for you to transfer and display permanently on textkit, rather than allowing direct access to his own copy.

I may well have misunderstood his message - which is more than likely as I could not find a meaningful translation of ‘scapi’ ( and I don’t actually know Latin ).

From the tone of your reply I seem to have rattled more than I had intended, for which I apologise.
Last edited by temp on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

blue
Textkit Neophyte

Post by blue »

i hope it joins the textkit resources soon...it kept timing out around the d's every time i tried to load it. :(

Kynetus Valesius
Textkit Fan

Dear Temp and Blue

The individual, o temp optime, semi-publicly posted the location of the file (which, it seems, happened to be in his private directory) and invited folks to download it. He also warned that it wouldn't be at that location permanently, presumably because he is only allocated a certain amount of space by his site administrators. All I did was publicize the location a little widely. He knows that I notified the folks at textkit and approves. (I believe).

Blue, I also hope that the textkit administrators can act on this expeditiously. A number of people on the GLL were unsuccessful in their efforts to pull the file on to their drives. Knowing that I did get a copy, they are now asking me to send them copies on CD to Europe, which I'm doing although it's a bit of a hassle. I'll do the same for you if you can't wait until the issue is decided upon here.

Kynetus

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Salvete! I've been away studying lesser tongues :oops: through necessity for a while but Latin is back in pole position again. :D

Can anyone please tell me if anything was ever done about making this resource available? I don't see it on the site but my not being able to find something doesn't ever mean it's not there.

Gratias vobis ago.

Sean
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

dammit! When I first saw this I thought Kynetus Valesius was back!

Edit: oops! thought this was about another post till I read it.

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Sorry to be a disappointment...

He had good Latin, did Kynetus.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I believe the whole thing about this resource being temporarily availible is that it was only availible for a month or so, and seeing how old this thread is, this resource has probably been removed by now. However, you can ask one of the Textkittens who did download this to email it to you.

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Thanks, GGG. Yes, it has definitely gone now but there was some discussion in this thread about chopping it up into manageable chunks (it was a monster file!) and making it available on textkit. It's so big that most people, including me, who tried to download it found that it 'timed out' before completion.

If anyone does have it, and can chop it up, I'd be glad to receive it as a number of emails over a few days - unless of course some computerwizard can come up with a better idea. I only got as far as 'C' each time I tried, but it looked simply marvelous! I see there is a hard copy for sale on abebooks but I'm a few euros short of the $500+ price tag at the minute.

Sean

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I didn't think I had downloaded it, but I double checked my files, and lo and behold, there is a 55.4 MB PDF called wagner_phraseologiae-corpus.pdf. It goes up to the letter Z. If you want to arrange with me to chop it up and email you (I think I can do it, though I probably won't be able to do it until this evening), PM me.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

Ó‚uadhaigh wrote:Sorry to be a disappointment...

He had good Latin, did Kynetus.
You weren't a dissapointment, I just thought he'd returned

:cry:

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Sorry, nostos, I haven't figured out which emoticon to use for friendly and jocular sarcasm. Perhaps :wink: would do?

I have to confess that, a few days ago, when I checked out the forum for the first time in months I was keeping an eye out for Kynetus amongst others and was disappointed to see he hadn't posted since. Does he hang out anywhere else?

Sean

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

GGG, PM'd you. Thanks.

Ciraric
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ciraric »

So, who has it and how large?

Is it email-able.

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

I think ':P' is the friendly and jocular sarcasm one, at least that's how I use it most of the time. Not sure it's interpreted that way tho.

Anyway I'm pretty sure he hangs out on a living Latin chatboard, but I'm not sure which one or what name he goes by. I tried PMing him not too long ago but the message went unviewed for about a week or so, so I erased it. Perhaps one day he'll be back..

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

�Buadhaigh wrote:I see there is a hard copy for sale on abebooks but I'm a few euros short of the $500+ price tag at the minute.
I believe this is the same book ($80), though probably not the exact same printing:

http://www.owlbridge.com/miva/merchant. ... _Code=1496

(Still not as good as free, though, but not too bad for 912 pages)
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

ÓBuadhaigh
Textkit Member

Post by ÓBuadhaigh »

Thanks, edonnelly, for that. It doesn't seem to want my money though. To be honest, I'd prefer a reprint to an original; I want to use it, not exhibit it! I'll wait to see what GGG can do about the file before I make any move with the Owl people.

Thanks again. Sean.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

how big is it when zipped?

I might be able to provide a temporary hosting arrangement as well.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

If it's ever reduced to a manageable size, I'd like to have it as well.

-David

sokabs
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sokabs »

I am interested in this file, as well. Thanks so much.

Mofmog
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mofmog »

Can I have it emailed to me too? mofmog@gmail.com