Word Game

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
primitive
Textkit Member

Word Game

Post by primitive »

I need a word that describes a person who is very laid back, calm and collceted, and lives a peaceful life. Something along those boundaries. I can't really think of anything.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Just a few that come to mind:

placid
sphinx-like
undisturbed
serene
unflappable

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

i was thinking farmer hippy bovine docile or decaffeinated.

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I would just use the term "laid-back" myself, since it implies the other qualities you listed.

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

easy (like Sunday morning)
mellow

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

ah see im trying to come up with a name for a band...

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

what kind of band?
I would suggest (only half-kidding) The Tibetan Monks of SoCal. :wink:

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

primitive wrote:ah see im trying to come up with a name for a band...
Do what the Grateful Dead did – they purportedly opened a dictionary and picked two words at random. On second thought, I'm not sure it worked out for them. The name is kind of crappy...

WB

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

Why not use a Greek name? 'The Galenes', 'The Eudias', or 'The Hesychias' perhaps? I am pluralizing, assuming you're bunch of cool, laid-back guys :D

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

chad wrote: farmer
Farmers are laid-back?

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

i think so compared to people working in city jobs. laid-back doesn't mean lazy at all to me, it's how much stress you show i think.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

chad wrote:i think so compared to people working in city jobs. laid-back doesn't mean lazy at all to me, it's how much stress you show i think.
You have clearly never seen a farmer paying the diesel bill. :)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

that's 6 times this morning that someone has said that to me. :)

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Oh! Band names - that's different. I think the most important rule is to get something that doesn't date. It's OK if you are doing a short term project but think about that 20-30 years working life..... (So if you called yourself the Psychedelic Bananas back in 1970 you are forever condemned to playing that kind of music!) I like the idea of the Greek name, it is a bit mysterious and doesn't date. You could have a poster with the name in Greek letters or something.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

chad wrote:that's 6 times this morning that someone has said that to me. :)
Be grateful you don't live in some parts of country Australia where you have to drive 300 km to see a doctor or dentist! (Or get your hair cut!)

I might actually start another post about what we are all paying for fuel. Is everyone suffering?

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:easy (like Sunday morning)
Lionel Ritchie?? :lol: :lol: :lol: They play that song on the musak at my work all the time!

I would go for "chill".

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

A group? That changes everything: "The Couch Rhythmatos".

I had no idea that was Lionel Ritchie, Kopio. I must have heard it at the Classic Rock station.

PhilipF
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PhilipF »

William wrote:
primitive wrote:ah see im trying to come up with a name for a band...
Do what the Grateful Dead did – they purportedly opened a dictionary and picked two words at random. On second thought, I'm not sure it worked out for them. The name is kind of crappy...

WB
Apparently a fan of the band who is a biologist named an insect after them . 'thanatogratus' . Although he comitted the solecism of combining Greek and Latin so did the inventor of something called 'television' which they said would never catch on . I am sure I came across the phrase 'the grateful dead 'in an old poem .I can't track down the phrase . I think it was to do with the American Civil War.
If you like the Beatles you could call yourselves 'Kantharides' Which is also a toxic aphrodisiac .

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re: Word Game

Post by mingshey »

primitive wrote:I need a word that describes a person who is very laid back, calm and collceted, and lives a peaceful life. Something along those boundaries. I can't really think of anything.
I call it "my dream".

I apologize for an offshoot from the flow of the discussion.
Once I uttered this mysterious word, it reminds me of a sentence quoted for an exercise in Chase & Phillips,
τί δέ τις; τί δ’ οὔ τις; σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος.
the ὄναρ was ringing along with the word ἀνήρ I learned before for years since. Maybe because I was not keen at accents then.

Now I learned that it's from Pindar, Pythias Odes 8:135 ~
ἐπάμεροι· τί δέ τις; τί δ’ οὔ τις; σκιᾶς ὄναρ ἄνθρωπος, ἀλλ’ ὅταν αἴγλα διόσδοτος ἔλθῃ, λαμπρὸν φέγγος ἔπεστιν ἀνδρῶν καὶ μείλιχος αἰών·

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Soryy...completely off the topic but....Mingshey, your daughter just gets cuter and cuter....what a doll!

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

haha wow. see i want to pick a name that has something to do with all of us in the band (4). and we are all very very laid back. we never really get angry, or waste time yelling. really cool calm and collected. for now we've settled on 'valhalla', but i really don't like the name too much. thanks for the suggestions. oh btw, we're a blues, jazz, and rock band kind of like zeppelin and ray charles combined.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

If you told me Valhalla, I'd say heavy metal with 8 valkyrie singers (no offence meant) :)
Asgard(r) would be another nice nordic option, if you're going by that side.