I do not enjoy this

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

I do not enjoy this

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

I am sick. With a sore throat/cold/cough. I will not be going to school tomorrow because I need the rest, and I should not be infecting other people. I probably got it from school. Other people got the same symptoms at the same time as me. I do not look forward to catching up on my missed schoolwork. I do not enjoy the decline in my physical capacity, nor my lowered intellectual capacity, nor the lower stability of my emotions (my family does not enjoy the last one either). I am used to mild colds which do not have much impact on me and last forever, not colds this severe. I hope it will not last forever. It does not show signs of being anything worse than a cold, fortunately.

Most victims of Hurricane Katrina would gladly swap positions with me.

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

Here's a poem for your convalescense:

Cuckoo Song

Sumer is icumen in,
Lhudé sing cuccu;
Groweth sed and bloweth med
And springth the wudé nu.
Sing cuccu!
Awé bleteth after lomb,
Lhouth after calvé cu;
Bulluc sterteth, bucké verteth;
Murie sing cuccu.
Cuccu, cuccu,
Wel singés thu, cuccu,
Ne swik thu naver nu.
Sing cuccu nu! Sing cuccu!
Sing cuccu! Sing cuccu nu!

~Anonymous

"... faviorite ..." ~G-G-G's signature

Someone has to point these things out.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Steven! Vi har hört den där sången förut! Minns du då?

Quantam insolentiam! Quantoque stupore istud poema perlegi!

GGG - just be grateful that you are not a bodybuilder, in which case a cold would only spell the dreaded shrinking of the deltoids. Something such as a formidable anterior deltoid (my favourite muscle, as you should know) is a rare quality of an ancient greek student.

I become enraged when I catch something from school. Those laterally challenged fools do not understand the blood sweat tears macronutrients involved in constructing such umeros.

For this reason I as the bishop bless you, and wish that you note one fact: muscle bulding involves firstly small tears in the stimulated muscle, and then the reconstruction thereof by means of a caloric excess. Therefore you should come back stronger. Immature though it is, I find the word "bollocks" helps. (So does whiteoctave, but only to be said by the most INSANE of us)

edonnelly
Administrator

Re: I do not enjoy this

Post by edonnelly »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:school
a.k.a. Viral Distribution Center

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

a.k.a. I go because I get paid wherewith I purchase proteins!

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: I do not enjoy this

Post by mariek »

edonnelly wrote:
GlottalGreekGeek wrote:school
a.k.a. Viral Distribution Center
Boy is that the truth! School and day care centers...

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Episcopus wrote:a.k.a. I go because I get paid...
You get paid to go to school?

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

I am well on the way to recovery. Thankfully this cold, due to its higher intensity, must be shorter lived. But now that I can think properly again, I have to cram my homework. Teachers somehow expect that students who are sick can do homework. In my case, if I'm so sick I have to leave school (which is not terribly common) I am in no shape to do homework very well.

Since I have a tendency to have very mild but long lasting sicknesses, I could be a key carrier of the "Viral Distribution Center". However I did not choose to be this way, and removing my service from the VDC would mean I would be practically homeschooled. For me, that is not reason enough.

The classmate I called today over the phone concerning a project we're doing together was also sick and staying at home today. I'm probably lucky to be getting sick earlier rather than later, before the school year picks up more steam.

I like that Middle English poem too. I especially like the word "verteth" - I wish it were in modern English too - "Mom, I verting now, and I'll be back at eight."

I know that I frequently mispell favorite. I got the wrong spelling ingrained into me at a very young age. Listen/Listien is another common one for me.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:I like that Middle English poem too. I especially like the word "verteth" - I wish it were in modern English too - "Mom, I verting now, and I'll be back at eight."
verteth does come into modern English actually. You just said "Mom, I am farting now..." Haha!~ :lol:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

benissimus wrote:
GlottalGreekGeek wrote:I like that Middle English poem too. I especially like the word "verteth" - I wish it were in modern English too - "Mom, I verting now, and I'll be back at eight."
verteth does come into modern English actually. You just said "Mom, I am farting now..." Haha!~ :lol:
Really? The poetry anthology I have says verteth means to blend in with the greenery or something along those lines ... are you pulling on my leg, or is the modern "vert" a slang word of some other kind of linguistic permutation.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Bert wrote: You get paid to go to school?
Yes. Most pay for a place in school but, as you should know, things round here are completely inverted!

If any one could host, I have a rather good recitation of the cuckoo song, by a friend of mine many months ago!

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:and I should not be infecting other people
Ahh, I got a cold two weeks before ending the school year, and I had it for a month and some weeks, maybe two months. I didn't treat it on time, so it got pretty bad, and well, all those bad things came... But I usually like to have colds so I can infect other people :twisted:

But it's good you're recovering :)
Bardo de Saldo wrote:Here's a poem for your convalescense:

Cuckoo Song

Sumer is icumen in,
Hey, there's a medieval tune named like that. Maybe it's supposed to go with that song...? I like renneisance and medieval music, but I don't know much about it though. I'd like to know which discs are good to buy and have a nice collection (I've only heard good things about Paul Van Nevel)

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

"The poetry anthology I have says verteth means to blend in with the greenery or something along those lines ..." ~G-G-G

I'm afraid that verteth is not a chromopopeyic word. If it were, it would have to be browneth!

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

actually verteth is a perversion of the original, pure 'uerpa', turned into a verb and made to mean 'grows green' because of gangrene in century thirteen.

This is documented fact; ask anyone who's anyone in etymology.

Edit: gotta stop looking at these boards and get back to work. They're just too tempting!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

nostos wrote: gotta stop looking at these boards and get back to work. They're just too tempting!
:oops: My medial deltoid does tend to have this effect. She apologises.

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

"... ask anyone who's anyone in etymology." ~Nostos

Thankfully, etymologists don't belong to secret societies (except for the P.E.O. [Post-menopausal Etymologists' Organization]), and tend to make their work accesible to the public. Look at the context, nostos, and tell me whether you think that the buck might be farting or turning green from gangrene.

"... original, pure ..." ~Nostos

Is uerpa kind of like the Virgin Mary of words? :D

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

Bardo de Saldo wrote:"... ask anyone who's anyone in etymology." ~Nostos

Thankfully, etymologists don't belong to secret societies (except for the P.E.O. [Post-menopausal Etymologists' Organization]), and tend to make their work accesible to the public.

"... original, pure ..." ~Nostos

Is uerpa kind of like the Virgin Mary of words? :D
Bardo de Saldo, of course they belong to secret societies, the real ones anyway. And they do not make their work accessible to the public. Look here at the secret societies I've encountered after painstaking research thus far:

The Standard Maintenance of Accute Language Etymolical Research (SMALER)

The Defense Industry Coalition of Short-Hand Etymology for New Adjective Reduction in Yiddish (DICSHENARY)

And there are others..

It is their collective ambition to maintain the purity of world languages, as I believe they should. In English, for instance, the OED has grown to massive proportions with superfluous words, such as 'massive', 'enormous', 'colossal', etc. all to mean 'big'. Look at how many ways there are of saying someone talks big: 'grandiloquent', 'magniloquent', 'bombastic', etc., all implying that the person speaks above themselves. The Diccionario de la real academia española does much the same thing.

What is the purpose of so many words? Keep languages pure, keep them simple. Eventually true etymologists will break out of their hiding-places and give us their Revised Language Dictionary (just one standard, universal language, without fluff) which will be placed on the great Internet to avoid any tangible, lasting artifact associated with it. And they will begin rewriting books in their style (also to be placed on the Net), and burning existing (excess) books because everyone will see that the existing books are just a waste of trees. Do not believe Chomsky, Orwell or Bradbury; they are crackpots and quacks . . . to think that Blaire actually changed his name because he didn't want to face up to criticism.

And though I do not have this date exactly (yet), I prophesy that this shall take place faster than a thief in the night.
Bardo de Saldo wrote:Look at the context, nostos, and tell me whether you think that the buck might be farting or turning green from gangrene.
Context is besides the point, mi gran Bardo de Saldo. That is why it's a perversion.

:P

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

nostos wrote: In English, for instance, the OED has grown to massive proportions with superfluous words, such as 'massive', 'enormous', 'colossal', etc. all to mean 'big'.
Would changing these adjectives to - big1, big2, big3, etc work toward a more pure language? Say...pure3 ?

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

Bert wrote:
nostos wrote: In English, for instance, the OED has grown to massive proportions with superfluous words, such as 'massive', 'enormous', 'colossal', etc. all to mean 'big'.
Would changing these adjectives to - big1, big2, big3, etc work toward a more pure language? Say...pure3 ?
No. I suspect that the final purity will contain only 15 words, the primordial 'ugh' uttered from the beginning of the human species being one of them (this, too, 'ugh', has been conclusively proven: forget all that trash you read about Proto-Indo-European and how it's all hypothetical at that point; the etymologists know better).

I also suspect that eventually they will do away with all scripts (imperfect systems of transcribing speech, which is pointless) as a waste of time, energy, trees (poor trees!), and most of all petroleum. We shall mutter 'ugh', 'gah', &c. to each other, and from the context, we shall know what we mean.

Isn't this obvious?

Phylax
Textkit Member

Post by Phylax »

Hey, there's a medieval tune named like that. Maybe it's supposed to go with that song...?
Yes indeed, the words and the tune make up the same song. It constitutes one of the earliest examples of polyphony in the western tradition, I believe.

There is a little picture of the manuscript, and an article on the song, at http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/themes/music/sumer.html

It's a charming little melody, considering its age. If you want to listen to the music, there is a midi file of it here:
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/emusi ... cumen2.mid

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

nostos wrote: No. I suspect that the final purity will contain only 15 words,
I'm reminded of Dan Akroyd's metric alphabet -- where the English language was simplified by reducing the number of letters in the alphabet to 10.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

nostos wrote:No. I suspect that the final purity will contain only 15 words, the primordial 'ugh' uttered from the beginning of the human species being one of them (this, too, 'ugh', has been conclusively proven: forget all that trash you read about Proto-Indo-European and how it's all hypothetical at that point; the etymologists know better).
That's excellent!

We should have contest to see who can come up with the best crank theory - with haughty screed - related to the classics.

It might be difficult to come up with new ones...
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Phylax wrote:
Yhevhe wrote:Hey, there's a medieval tune named like that. Maybe it's supposed to go with that song...?

Yes indeed, the words and the tune make up the same song. It constitutes one of the earliest examples of polyphony in the western tradition, I believe.

There is a little picture of the manuscript, and an article on the song, at http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/themes/music/sumer.html

It's a charming little melody, considering its age. If you want to listen to the music, there is a midi file of it here:
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/emusi ... cumen2.mid
Thanks for replying to my question Phylax :) Never seen the manuscript before, but I've heard the tune several times. People look me weird when I admit this, but most early music makes me want to dance, unlike most modern music.
Bert wrote:Would changing these adjectives to - big1, big2, big3, etc work toward a more pure language? Say...pure3 ?
Haha, it would make it look more like chinese too :D