Atlantis

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Atlantis

Post by Lucus Eques »

Saluete, omnes!

I would like to bring your collective attention to a subject I have been following for many years now, which has been essential in forming many of my more fundamental understandings of the world in which we live, specifically in the unification of history with mythology.

Atlantis: The Lost Continent Finally Found

I highly, highly recommend at least a partial perusal, if not an in-depth research of all its pages, if not the very book which has just been released. I will say no more here, but I will happily discuss the subject if asked.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

Salue optime Luce,

It seems that Atlantis have been found ... again :lol: . I love what I call fantasy-archeology, I spent a lot of time reading that bizare literature (like Von Daniken) and of course also the old dear Plato: probably I will keep doing it, I mean it's better that some crime stories ... but I do not believe it very much! It is interesting anyway and I could be wrong: nobody believed in Troy before Schliemann!

Probable Atlantis' location so far:
Santorini (Greece)
Sardinia (Italy)
Atlantic Sea
Bahamas
Brazil
Antartica (my favourite)
Danmark
Britain.
I am sure I have forgot some of them. And also the Lost Continent of Mu and that of Lemuria! Let me know if you need a bibliography.
Regards
Misopogon

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Thanks Lucus for bringing this up. I'll try to read everything as soon as possible :)

Here is another page talking about Atlantis. A discovery made in the sea of Cuba. You may find it interesting too.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

I've always had a slight interest in Atlantis ever since I learned that a Donnelly (Igantius) wrote one of those fantasy archeology books back in the late 1800's. I can only assume I am not related, but who knows? Anyway, the book itself is now in the public domain and available from the project gutenberg in both plain text and html:

Atlantis : the antediluvian world by Ignatius Donnelly
This book is an attempt to demonstrate several distinct and novel propositions. These are:

That the description of this island given by Plato is not, as has been long supposed, fable, but veritable history.

That the gods and goddesses of the ancient Greeks, the Phœnicians, the Hindoos, and the Scandinavians were simply the kings, queens, and heroes of Atlantis; and the acts attributed to them in mythology are a confused recollection of real historical events.
That ought to give you a feel for where "Uncle Ignatius" is going with all this.

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

Atlantis probably did exist long ago but I don't think that there will ever be a sign just outside the city that says:

NOW ENTERING ATLANTIS POP. 53,000 :lol:

But wait a moment, what if it was not an Island at all but the North and south continents of America joined together by an isthmas (central America) and the wonderful cities of golden temples (Aztec,Mayan, Tahltec, Omak...) are meso-americans and the great knwledge (mathematics and constelations studies) gossipped about were brought over by sailors (on reed ships; Chris. Columbus speaks of ships larger than his boats) by people like the Omak (African sailors that left giant sized statuary head carvings in Venuzualla).

and wonderful spices brought to them by the polyneseans (into Chile from trade with Easter Island).

Atlantis may be a mythological Island to the european but remember they also thought the world was flat whereas the Peruvians had carvings of all seven continites. (and those drawings had Ant-Arctica between Australia and S.America having forest.

just a thought to add to the discussion. :wink:

Ridan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ridan »

And then there's the Piri Re'is map. Image

I wonder if Atlantis was an Island like Plato described, and all of this evidence from other places around the world is just the remains of a larger Atlantean empire.

BTW, has anyone read "The Destruction of Atlantis" by Frank Joseph?
It's an interesting read, though I can't be sure if any of it is accurate.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Timotheus wrote:(African sailors that left giant sized statuary head carvings in Venuzualla).
You mean Venezuela? What heads??? :shock:
I wrote:Thanks Lucus for bringing this up. I'll try to read everything as soon as possible :)
But I didn't. Some of the points he made weren't convincing enough for me.

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

Sorry about the mispelling of Venezuela :oops:

the heads I am speaking of are from the ancient Olmecs. Last night was late and I may have had the wrong country. (:oops: - again.) As a matter of fact it was Mexico.

over the last several years I have seen a number of article about these peoples being from africa. the truth is - no one knows.

here are some links about these folks.

http://www.cultures.com/contests/heads/ ... est_e.html

http://www.crystalinks.com/olmec.html

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy ... ecip1.html

As for other Cultures here is a link about the carved stones of Peru showing some very interesting things.

http://www.crystalinks.com/icastones.html
http://www.viewzone.com/dinostone.ica.html

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Sorry about the mispelling of Venezuela :oops:
Don't worry. I just wanted to know if it was actually here, and what those big heads were. I pressumed they were either the Olmec Heads, or the heads from Easter Island from the begining.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

If you love this kind of reading you'll love H P Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" - it's online at:
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lo ... ddness.htm

I must have read this story at least 20 times and it still knocks me out - a classic!

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

A dear old book of mine (now lost, alas) "Mysteries of the Past" had a chapter on Atlantis and Mu. The story featuring Atlantis which has made the deepest impression on me is "Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water" - an anime series which has both wonderful and horrible episodes.

Surion
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Surion »

... and the Logic said "Atlantis never existed. Though I'm not so sure." :D

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Vobis rursus suadeo ut eum retis situm legant.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

Timotheus wrote:remember they also thought the world was flat whereas ... just a thought to add to the discussion. :wink:
Timotheus, we have all been taught this, but i heard something recently which claimed it simply was not true, and that there was no evidence that anyone in Europe (at least from the middle ages to date) thought the earth was flat. Columbus certainly didn't. Nor did he think it spherical or spheroidal. He thought it was pear shaped!

This was a BBC TV program, which cited no sources, but i'm sure there are people around here who would have better quality evidence, one way or the other.

So who, precisely, did think the Earth was flat? Anyone know? :?

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

sisyphus wrote: So who, precisely, did think the Earth was flat? Anyone know? :?
Sadly, the people on this website aren't joking:

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublons ... ociety.htm

And here's more info about them

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flatearth.html

Timotheus
Textkit Member

Post by Timotheus »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:
sisyphus wrote: So who, precisely, did think the Earth was flat? Anyone know? :?

You know, I might be compeled to the possibility of a geocentric orbit, where the earth is the center of the Universe, based on observations of the ancients (north star linear axis through earth poles and the rotation of the constellations rotating upon ths axis) -But
Flat ???????

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I believe the Romans thought the world was a circle (orbis terrarum), surrounded by water. I hope I am not confusing that with some other people, which would be truly embarrassing :lol:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

too much to pass up

Post by nostos »

GlottalGreekGeek wrote:

some of their info:

-----After spending over sixteen million dollars and using over 48 thousand yards of industrial strength strapping tape, we of the Flat Earth Society were able to construct an enormously powerful neurotransmitter that can implant suggestions directly into the brains of the nearby non-Flat Earthers. Having set it up just outside of the Russian Antarctic exploration post (Vostok), we are awaiting word that all three scientists and 174 penguins have been shown the light.

-----Your dog has joined us.

-----harassment and kidnapping of close relatives, threatening phone calls and abduction/brainwashing have been both slow to work and generally discouraged. So, despite four hundred-plus years of tradition, we have revised our philosophy, and have adopted a more insidious means of undoing Efimovich once and for all: subliminal messages.

And you're telling us they're not joking? :P

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Re: too much to pass up

nostos wrote: And you're telling us they're not joking? :P
I did not look at that paticular site in detail : perhaps that site is a joke. But the society is real.

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

It has to be a joke... I mean, don't we have pictures and stuff of, well, a very much round Earth? It's too funny not to be a joke. :?

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

Deudeditus wrote:It has to be a joke... I mean, don't we have pictures and stuff of, well, a very much round Earth? It's too funny not to be a joke. :?
Deudedite, we have pictures but what are pictures? Only something that someone else claims to have seen, with evidence purported to be untampered. Have you ever been to space yourself and seen the earth as round? And either way, it's so big that it may look sort of round, but that's just from the side your seeing it (check out their photo of the earth as flat, I don't know exactly how to explain it, I hope you see what I mean). The earth is still three dimensional: you'd still sail from Europe to America in much the same way. But the dimewnsions of the whole thing get awkward (why so much time to get from Europe to america? Why do you have to get to Asia first if you sail accross the pacific?), so I don't see how they intend this. But it's possible, like anything else.

Personally I don't think it makes a whit of difference. We used to call Earth flat, then pear shaped, today round, tomorrow perhaps some great scientific didscovery will cause us to call her something else.

I believe, however, down to my bones, that the Earth is indeed round.

:lol:

Deudeditus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Deudeditus »

Well, I could possibly make our flat earth look pretty round with photoshop. (hey, if people can put Alfkid in a cave in Afghanistan, I can make our orbis terrarum round... wait... :) ) I can see why some folks thought it was pear shape, though.

-I.V. Romanasus :D
By the way, N., I couldn't find their pics of a flat earth. I'll search to the four corners of the earthboard untill I find them, though. :wink:
arroz

sisyphus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by sisyphus »

The Flat Earth Society is, indeed, a very real entity. i've known two members (no more, as far as i'm aware). Only having known two i can't claim that what i learned of them is representative of the whole Society. In fact, most stuff i read indicates otherwise.

To them the Society was very much a tongue-in-cheek affair, a kind of recreational epistomological debating society. They'd have a go at defending almost any outmoded or absurd idea, simply as a hobby. Discussion with them was exhausting, because it required wide ranging knowledge of several disciplines. You know the kind of thing - carefully selected obscure arguments of contentious academic points (usually archaic), the studied avoidance of wave-particle duality, deliberately misconstruing gravity.

But fun. Just read http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublons ... ociety.htm (part of the site GGG told us of) and tell me you didn't laugh at least once. It beats trying to convert a Unix geek to Windows (or vice versa). :lol:

nostos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by nostos »

Deudeditus wrote:By the way, N., I couldn't find their pics of a flat earth. I'll search to the four corners of the earthboard untill I find them, though. :wink:
Sorry, I thought I remembered seeing a flat 3 dimensional earth, but no, I checked the site again and the picture was 2d (maybe that's what they mean by subliminal messages...they make you remember their argument wrong!). But think of it this way:

All of Earth's Continents on this top surface

And then of course the sun and everything else would go around this box of an earth. But: why is it day here when it's night in England etc? I mean they leave a lot of stuff out of even common-sense explanation.

Again it would take a hell of a lot, a-la-Chomsky (who flipped me upsidedown with his political writings), to revise my perceptions of the earth being round.
sisyphus wrote:The Flat Earth Society is, indeed, a very real entity.
Yup, they're real. I looked them up on Google when I was killing time before a philosophy exam today (I couldn't get myself to study for it, not with Latin calling and calling; and the professor's a dufus, how could I study??) and it said that they were real, but they died out in the 80s I think. So I guess this is a resurgence? They're also a part of my home and native land originally.