thunderstrom :(

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Emma_85
Global Moderator

thunderstrom :(

Post by Emma_85 »

:cry:
my Greek reference grammar, the small, concise one which i love so much - is just a pile of dirty soaked paper now, after a horrible thunderstorm! :evil: I've stopped the drip now, but the new table now no longer looks new and some other books are also ruined - the router for the internet was soaked too, but is seems it's (still) working, luckily, otherwise I wouldn't have internet right now :P . The external hard drive should be ok too...
:? i'm still upset about the loss of my favourite grammar book though :cry:
oh yeah, a rather large phone bill was also soaked :roll: :lol:

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

>_< Wow... I'd be pretty mad if something like that happened to my books... I even get mad if my books get a different smell from another thing :? Hope they're not too expensive, so you may buy new ones.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

yeah, they weren't very expensive books luckily and I'm quite sure that grammar book is still in print :) - but I'm still pissed off about it all :evil: .

some card reader was underwater for a few hours, that's not useable anymore, I'm just glad nothing happened to my laptop- if it had been just 30cm to the right of where it was it would no longer be a laptop, but a piece of junk :? . Oh, and I was lucky in another way I guess - just the day before I'd moved my EU5N form to somewhere else - if that had been soaked ... argh, that would not have been funny, as I have to get that sent in as soon as possible and if it had been soaked that would have been a minor disaster itself, lol. (If i don't get it sent in soon I can't go to uni, as this form will ensure that I only pay 1,200 pounds per year as opposed to 15,000 if I don't send it in on time :P )

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: thunderstrom :(

Post by Adelheid »

Emma_85 wrote::cry:
my Greek reference grammar, the small, concise one which i love so much
Now I'm curious, which one is that? Is it a German one?

Here in the Netherlands we also had some heavy rain, but only the south of the country really had their houses invaded.

Regards,
Adelheid

p.s. Despite your thunderstorm, I am still very jealous of you. Staying in Italy...

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Yhevhe wrote:I even get mad if my books get a different smell from another thing
A different smell? Where in the world are you storing your books?

Emma, my condolences for your loss.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

annis wrote:Emma, my condolences for your loss.
Yes, yes, ofcourse! Excuse my rudeness :oops:

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Will (if I can address you in such way),

I see that maybe smell is the wrong word to use...? What I mean is that (most of times) books come with their unique aroma, and I really like to smell my books a lot. And I keep them in two bookshelfs (wich are getting small for their purpose) :)

But sometimes, books take a different aroma from another object. For example, the other day I grabbed a small book about Zen, and when I went to inspire it's unique and sweet aroma, I cought and almost cried. It had taken the quite horrid smell of the plastic cover of a new enciclopaedia I'm currently colecting :( And that's something that got me mad. I couldn't concentrate on the lecture knowing that it had lost it's scent.

Other case happened with the so said enciclopaedia. It seems the printing it's not all that good, and one day I grabbed a tome and went to smell a nice page about the aztec culture. Well, it didn't smell that nice, but the worse was that some grease (is that the correct word?) from my nose 'stained' a word, making the ink get all fuzzy. And even worse when I tried to clean up the grease... :evil: I was very sad that week.

Well, yeah, I'm an addict to smelling books, so what? :lol:

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

Hi Emma,
My condolences for your book, believe me, I understand how you feel: once my girfriend's bookcase catched fire and since she used to borrow a lot of my books... :(
Regards
Misopogon

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

Yhevhe wrote:I see that maybe smell is the wrong word to use...? What I mean is that (most of times) books come with their unique aroma, and I really like to smell my books a lot. And I keep them in two bookshelfs (wich are getting small for their purpose) :)

Well, yeah, I'm an addict to smelling books, so what? :lol:
Hi Yhevhe,

That is such a funny post - you had me giggling :D I don't mean to be condescending: you seem like a very likeable fellow :lol: I try imagine you sniffing your books before reading them :D
Yhevhe wrote:Well, it didn't smell that nice, but the worse was that some grease (is that the correct word?) from my nose 'stained' a word, making the ink get all fuzzy. And even worse when I tried to clean up the grease... :evil: I was very sad that week.
Oh you mean snot, do you? :wink: In Latin: mucus.

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

Further proof that roofers are the greatest contributors to human knowledge.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Emma, my apologies for not giving my condolences before, and for making so much off-topic commentaries on your thread :oops: . Although I do feel your sadness, I'm not the kind of person who thinks too much about giving condolences. As I stated before, I really hope you can recover your books without much effort. I'm glad your "EU5N" is safe and sound - that's a thing to be happy for. ^_^

*-.-*-.-*-.-*-.-*-.-*-.-*-.-*
amans wrote:I try imagine you sniffing your books before reading them :D
Nay, I don't *sniff* them, I inspire deeply to feel the sweet scent :P
amans wrote:Oh you mean snot, do you? :wink: In Latin: mucus.
Neither, I don't mean snot. In Spanish: moco. I would have gone crazy if I just gave my new enciclopaedia a mucus bath :shock: What I mean is... fat? The shiny thing (not swet) you get over your nose and face when you haven't taken a bath in some days, or when the day is hot.
amans wrote:I don't mean to be condescending: you seem like a very likeable fellow :lol:
Thank you! :)

Bardo: What are roofers? :?

Bardo de Saldo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Bardo de Saldo »

"The shiny thing (not sweat) you get over your nose and face when you haven't taken a bath in some days, or when the day is hot." (Yhevhe)

In other words, the nasal equivalent of toe jam. (Churretes.)

Roofers: Those who apply roofing on the roof (where else) of buildings. (Techadores.)

My condolences, Emma. Episcopus is already working on some Greek elegiacs for your grammar book. May it R.I.P.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

:lol: thanks all! I knew all you book-lovers would understand ;)

Yes Adelheid, it was a German book. Karl Lahmer's 'Grammateion' from Klett - I've searched Klett's website but they have 0 entries listed in their Greek section... :? - at least they still have a Greek section (well, sort of, admittedly it's very empty), so maybe it's just that they aren't selling the Greek books online at the moment or something like that.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Yhevhe wrote:Nay, I don't *sniff* them, I inspire deeply to feel the sweet scent :P
I do, too, but only older books. Unfortunately my librarian friend tells me this lovely old aroma is just a sign that my books are decaying. :(
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

And my mother told me the other day that a lot of people were sick in the university because books had some kind of fungus (old books...), and they didn't even get close to smell them :S

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

My condolences too, Emma.
I know no sympathy would replace Emma's loss. But I'll share my sense of loss.
I had a similar experience many years ago. When I lived at a half-basement in a rainy season, When I wasn't home the sewage got stuck and the rainwater surged into my room and many of my precious(not expensive, but rare) books got wet and when they got dry they got hued and deformed and even cracked. What a loss and the sense of loss!

Now in a few days I have to move. And it's a rainy season here. What's worse is that I haven't got a new house yet and I have to keep my homewares in a storage service, which I doubt will keep my books dry and healthy, and live in my wife's sister's. And being hit by emma's sad news I get the shock of the old tragedy. I think I'd better consider safekeeping my books.

[edit]
It seems that Amazon.de has some in stock. Would this be a little appeasing to you?
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3 ... 49-4728066
(What a price! Well, it's a grammar book and its cheaper than a good mouthful of a beef stake and that's quite cheap indeed, well I'd have to believe so or I'll get mad.)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

mingshey wrote:My condolences too, Emma.
I know no sympathy would replace Emma's loss. But I'll share my sense of loss.
I had a similar experience many years ago. When I lived at a half-basement in a rainy season, When I wasn't home the sewage got stuck and the rainwater surged into my room and many of my precious(not expensive, but rare) books got wet and when they got dry they got hued and deformed and even cracked. What a loss and the sense of loss!

Now in a few days I have to move. And it's a rainy season here. What's worse is that I haven't got a new house yet and I have to keep my homewares in a storage service, which I doubt will keep my books dry and healthy, and live in my wife's sister's. And being hit by emma's sad news I get the shock of the old tragedy. I think I'd better consider safekeeping my books.

[edit]
It seems that Amazon.de has some in stock. Would this be a little appeasing to you?
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3 ... 49-4728066
(What a price! Well, it's a grammar book and its cheaper than a good mouthful of a beef stake and that's quite cheap indeed, well I'd have to believe so or I'll get mad.)
Yes, that's the grammar book! :D Yeah! it's still in print! Thanks Mingshey!

I hope everything goes well with your move and that your books don't get damaged :D good luck!

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: thunderstrom :(

Post by mariek »

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I understand how you must feel about this. I hope the grammar is not so unncommon that you can't easily get a replacement for it.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Emma_85 wrote: Yes, that's the grammar book! :D Yeah! it's still in print! Thanks Mingshey!

I hope everything goes well with your move and that your books don't get damaged :D good luck!
You're welcome and Thank You!
No sooner I had read your wish than I got a phone call from my wife that she got a new house. She didn't signed yet because the present tenant is not sure when he could get his new house. But he says July 29 to August 5.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

mingshey wrote:
Emma_85 wrote: Yes, that's the grammar book! :D Yeah! it's still in print! Thanks Mingshey!

You're welcome and Thank You!
No sooner I had read your wish than I got a phone call from my wife that she got a new house. She didn't signed yet because the present tenant is not sure when he could get his new house. But he says July 29 to August 5.
that's great news, good to hear you've found a house :D!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Emma_85 wrote: that's great news, good to hear you've found a house :D!
Thanks to your powerful wish. I hope you recover from the damage of the thusderstorm very soon. :wink: