How did YOU learn Latin

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Cyborg
Textkit Member

How did YOU learn Latin

Post by Cyborg »

How did you learn latin? What would you change in your past learning process if you were to go through it again? What did you find the hardest and what did you find the easiest thing? Did you skip a few pages, write down declensions or conjugations a hundred times or memorize the passive voice in a weird way? Did you use only one book or as many as you could?

Tell us about the experience you had learning latin, whether it is a funny or interesting story or just for the sake of curiosity. :D

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

I studied Latin and Greek in the High School , 5 years, about 4 hours (each language) per week plus home work. Apparentlly it was a pretty intensive study, but... The learning process in Italy (and as far I know also elsewhere) was (is?) based on grammar and translation. Even though both are necessary and very useful for understanding your own language as well, they cannot be the only way the to learn a language. You need passive and active knowlegde of it. I believe that classic languages should be taught like moderm ones, stressing on vocabulary, speaking (yes, it isn't so odd!), comprehension and composition. The reason why you learn Latin or Greek is only to make you able to read easily the literature in original language and to understand directly those cultures, not for develope "logics". I am currently refreshing my Latin with a funny book (with audio tapes) and I find it very effective, since it focuses on comprehension and speaking. I wish I had found it when I was a teenager!
Regards
Misopogon

amans
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by amans »

salue Cyborg, interesting topic.

My first exposure to Latin was 15 years or so ago as a teen. My principal subjects in high school were physics and math, but I took up Latin as . . . ein Nebenstudium, so to say. I studied it for a year which was not much but that was what I could get at the time.

A few years ago my interest in Latin was brought to life again. The way I rediscovered this beautiful language was rather roundabout. I've loved the opera (music theater) for a long time, so at one point I started learning Italian in order to understand that part of the repertoire. I considered pursuing Italian at an advanced level, but I learnt that this would require that I learn Latin, so I took linguam Romanorum up again. And all of a sudden I "remembered" how much fun it had been, back then. I never got around to doing further studies in Italian . . . But I have an Italian friend and we chitchat in Italian :) The second time around with Latin I followed a two-year course - which I've just finished by the way.

I don't remember the first year way back as particularly difficult. I put a lot of work into memorizing. We had to learn a lot by heart: the declensions, the tenses et cetera (which is a method I heartily recommend). I remember that I worked with one of my mates on a computer program that would enable us to study: we used a Commodore 64, back then. Yes, it seems like ages ago. I wasn't very good at BASIC, but I learnt some Latin :) I remember "impressing" my classmates in math with this stuff: they liked in uino ueritas and nunc est bibendum, I think . . . :) but I gather they didn't really envy me after all. We didn't, however, read anything but 'constructed Latin': texts made up by some text book author whose name eludes me at present. I think the first lesson may very well have started with a sentence like Italia terra est or Marcus uir est . . . It ended up being quite complicated with supines and all, but it wasn't real Latin by classical authors.

I had that joy this time around. It was, I must say, quite easy picking it up again: perhaps some of the hard work of yore has had lasting effects? I haven't found it hard rememorizing the basics and learning the syntax or vocabulary (I have these agonies in the Greek department right now) - my problems are with meter, with phonetics and with long and complicated phrases where you must understand the parts before you can understand the whole and you must understand the whole before you can understand the parts . . . (I have tried reading some Quintilianus but found him really tough!)

I have been happy to know that something I learnt a long time ago is still with me and happy to know that it can be "relearnt" and its worth enhanced by continued studies. This time I hope I will not put Latin away, but who knows what will happen: perhaps a spouse, kids, gardening, travels, work or nescio quid will necessitate that I devote my energies to other worthwhile purposes. If so I count on being able to take it up later. There is so much in Latin literature I would like to read and enjoy.

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

I started in 7th grade, because I didn't like the sounds of German, didn't like the French teacher and all the numbskulls were taking Spanish.

I wish I'd actually paid more attention in class, though, and done the homework.

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

I took Latin because I had no idea what it was and the other languages didn't appeal to me. I memorized some charts by chanting them while taking a bath, haha. I should have volunteered in class more, sorry Magister. :cry:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Re: How did YOU learn Latin

Post by Emma_85 »

Cyborg wrote:How did you learn latin? What would you change in your past learning process if you were to go through it again? What did you find the hardest and what did you find the easiest thing? Did you skip a few pages, write down declensions or conjugations a hundred times or memorize the passive voice in a weird way? Did you use only one book or as many as you could?

Tell us about the experience you had learning latin, whether it is a funny or interesting story or just for the sake of curiosity. :D
I learned Latin at school... what I would change... hmm... I think I'd try harder to understand the Latin grammar and not give up after a few bad grades :roll: (I just didn't understand the grammar at all and so as soon as I couldn't guess the translations of the sentences ... :lol: - after learning Greek I understood the Latin grammar though and my Latin slowly improved, but i never made the effort to go over a latin grammar book which maybe I should have done).

Cyborg
Textkit Member

Post by Cyborg »

All very interesting stories.
Anyone else? 8)

bellum paxque
Textkit Zealot

Post by bellum paxque »

I can't provide a comprehensive answer to this question. . . mainly because, for me, the process of learning Latin is ongoing. I was only introduced to the language a year ago. Since that point, I have taken six hours of college level Latin, but I have supplemented the somewhat superficial instruction in the classroom with Wheelock's Latin and then, once I could find it, Moreland and Fleischer's Intensive Latin. The second book is by far the better. The exercises: yes, they are rather wooden and utterly synthetic, but they continue to improve as the book goes on, until they have gained a respectable amount of difficulty and, dare I say it, profundity. Mainly, I suppose, because they are drawing nearer to the Latin originals. In fact, I have thought it fitting to memorize one of these sentences: quod vult habet qui velle quod satis est potest. You already have what you want if you are able to want only what is enough, is my loose rendering of it. A good motto, I think.

As for Wheelock's... it's just not thorough enough. I stopped doing the exercises at chapter 30, though I have since looked back through the grammar to see how it compares with M&F.

Another method I have used to bolster my instruction and my interest is regular reading of Ritchie's Fabulae Faciles. I found these simple but engaging tales on Dave Grote's (pardon my misspelling) website, which, I suppose, has already received enough commendation around here. My only complaint is that he (or someone else) has removed the subjunctive from the Hercules passages, which I am currently completing. I found a different text online that retains the subjunctive, which I intend to use for Jason and the Argonauts and Ulysses. There are few things more fun than following a story and feeling narrative suspense -- in Latin!

Regards,

David

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I wanted to sing to the pope below his balcony, but now he is dead, and the episcopal latinity died with him.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Episcopus wrote:I wanted to sing to the pope below his balcony, but now he is dead, and the episcopal latinity died with him.
What can I say after this! :lol:

I learnt Latin in school (probably well before Episcopus was born) and one day realised I had forgotten most of it. So I hunted around on the internet and found various material (the most useful being Prof.Peter Jones' Latin lessons which I think he has now published as a book), then Text kit. I used to just work through the lessons one at a time and not stress too much if I couldn't grasp things immediately.
Now I am in my third year of Latin at university, it's hard to believe I have actually managed to get this far! Now I am studying Greek with the Textkit "White A" group and next year will start doing Greek at university.
The best advice is to study in whatever way works for you, and just take your time. I did find it was best to do more short study sessions than try to do hours at a time (this is a study method I used when doing music) as it gives your brain a chance to absorb the information.

Cyborg
Textkit Member

Post by Cyborg »

I'm glad to see this thread is a success.
I hope everyone enjoyed (or "is enjoying", as I hope more people will tell their stories) reading the stories as much as I did (or "am" :)).

antianira
Textkit Neophyte

Post by antianira »

I've been studying Latin on my own (off this site mostly) for only about 6 months. What is ironic is I did everything I could to get out of the 2 year language requirement in college (more than a few years back). 4 years of German in high school wore me out and convinced me I stink at other languages.

I would have had a minor in ancient civ had I not chickened out and taken the 2 years of Latin or ancient Greek. I just LOVE mythology (thus the ancient civ credits) which is why I'm learning it now. I would like to learn Greek as well, but that alphabet....

Sometimes I regret not taking Latin in school (would it have been easier? would I have learned more?) But ultimately, I think I enjoy learning it on my own more, it is more personal (just the desire to read Virgil and eventually Homer and Aristophanes, etc.) and no worries of quizzes, grades, finals and 'how come everyone gets it but me?" (my usual sentiment back in my German learning days - der, die, das - i feel dumb)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

The alphabet? It is easy! Do not be intimidated! Just break it down - learn 4 letters very well per day and then practise transliteration and you're done in a week.

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

4 letters a day? I think that seeing it once is enough to start. Of course, you won't get a fast reading 'till you practice a bit.