Introductions

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Garneyflanch
Textkit Neophyte

Introductions

Post by Garneyflanch »

Hello Forum-viewers!
I am new to this forum and this websight.

I am here because I want to learn Latin. This sight is a one of the best uses of the internet that I've seen.

My daughter is 6 years old and she started learning German this year. Her mother and I started speaking spanish with her when she was 2 and she picked up on it very well. We are having trouble with German because we ( the adults) are not fluent. My daughter was getting frustrated and we decided that the next language we tried would be something that neither of us could speak. My problem is that I don't know where to start.

Does anybody have any advice about what I can jump into?

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you asking for someone to recommend suitable Latin-learning materials?

If so:
There are the downloadable Latin primers on this site, of course, although they may not be the friendliest books for a 6-year-old. The only Latin textbook I know of that is specifically aimed at children is Minimus the Mouse (which can be ordered from Amazon).

I would imagine that if you guided your daughter through the book, you could all pick up Latin together. Admittedly I haven't seen it myself, however, and can't vouch for how good (or bad) it might be.

I hope this information has been at least somewhat helpful. Anyway, good luck - and remember, however you decide to set about things, you can always ask for help at the Learning Latin boards.

Other than that - glad to have you here at Textkit! Welcome!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Introductions

Post by annis »

Garneyflanch wrote:Does anybody have any advice about what I can jump into?
I personally don't know any good Latin books for that age range, but Latin is a very popular subject among in the homeschooling set. A little time on google searching on "latin" and "homeschool" seems pretty productive. You might have to dig more to get people's opinions on the options, though.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Garneyflanch
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Garneyflanch »

Thank you. I'll order that book and post what I think.
I was actually looking for some direction in finding material to help me learn enough that I can pass on information to my daughter. I don't intend for her to read the book. I am hoping that I can accumulate enough information quickly enough that I can practice with my daughter.

And yes,I was actually hoping that somebody could just direct me toward some materials that are easier to learn from. I downloaded Latin For Beginners. Unless there is something easier then I am going to start there.

Thank you.

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Introductions

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit!