WOW.....it's been a while

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Kopio
Global Moderator

WOW.....it's been a while

Post by Kopio »

Hello All,

I've been offline for about 2 weeks now. Marj (my wife) and I have been moving into our new house, and I finally got my internet up today (after I sorted my way back to the computer and set up the computer desk etc, etc, etc). I've missed you all, hope I haven't missed anything too earthshaking (although I see that Mingshey has the cutest new avatar) I am very excited about our new home (it's the first house I've ever owned...or at least made payments on) and when I get a minute I'll post a few pictures for whomever might be interested.

TTFN

Yhevhe
Textkit Fan

Post by Yhevhe »

Wow :P The house thing, it's great. So, how does it feel to have your own house? :wink:

I've got so many stuff in my bedroom that I'll soon need an entire new house just for me :)

Welcome home :wink:

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

owning a home... that's a good feeling.

So are you feeling settled in yet? It took me weeks to feel right with my first home. It felt like a strange place for the longest time.

It's almost like you have to bond with it or something.

jeff
Textkit Founder

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

jeff wrote:So are you feeling settled in yet? It took me weeks to feel right with my first home. It felt like a strange place for the longest time.
Weeks?! I was still waking up occasionally in the middle of the night with new-owner panic nearly a year after I got my house.

Congratulations, Matt. May Plumbing Entropy stay far away from your new home.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

jeff wrote:owning a home... that's a good feeling.

So are you feeling settled in yet? It took me weeks to feel right with my first home. It felt like a strange place for the longest time.

It's almost like you have to bond with it or something.
I think that my house and I are starting to bond :)

The greatest thing about this house is that it is a half mile from my favorite fishing spot in the area.....which happens to be the place that I posted pictures of a while back from my springtime walk. Yesterday I took my grandson fishing....we were at our spot in less than a minute in the car (I know I could have walked, but you have no idea how heavy my tackle box is!!)

Now that I have my computer up and running, I feel much more at home.

The thing that has been killing me is the money!! We got all new appliances in the kitchen (ouch) and a new bed (double ouch...we went for the Tempurpedic) so on top of all the other costs, we managed to rack up much, much more.....oh well.....I guess it's a good thing I have a couple of pretty good jobs :)

I'll blather on more about the place when I get a little time to post some pictures etc. Right now I gotta run to work.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Félicitations Kopio! I am so pleased for you! Not that my invitation to a good old mothertrucking american steak barbecue has anything to do with it :o

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

That first house is so special! Now on about my 5th I must say "the thrill has gone". Although after spending many thousands getting the place fixed up and painted it was exciting to see it looking all sparkling new again. I hope you are very happy and really enjoy the experience. Yes, they are a money trap!!

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

annis wrote: May Plumbing Entropy stay far away from your new home.
That should be part of a proverb to hang on the wall, something like: "May the road rise to meet you, may Plumbing Entropy stay far away from your new home....etc.
About 2 weeks after moving into our first home (We are in #2 now) our water heater went on the frits.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Bert wrote:About 2 weeks after moving into our first home (We are in #2 now) our water heater went on the frits.
The Local public utilities out here has a "guaranteed hot water" program that they run....for about 50 cents a month, if you have any problems with a hot water heater, they come out and fix it (and even replace it if need be) for no charge. We signed up right away!

My son-in-law is a contractor, so he can help out with most of the "other" problems that I might have, and one of my best friends is a pipe-fitter, who has been known to tackle the occasisonal plumbing nightmare (he insists he is not a plumber, but he's helped me out a couple of times before)....so "in theory" I should be able to handle most problems that might arise, which is good, because the house was built in 1960, and I'm not the most handy of guys!

We just got our new dining set tonight, and it is beautiful. It has a cherry top with distressed black legs. The chairs are distressed black with cherry seats and rails....I love it. The house we were renting before was so small that we didn't have a dining room....therefore no dining room table or chairs (we used TV trays and the sofa).....I am going to sit down to my first meal at the new table in just a minute (Marj made a pork roast).....gotta run.... :P

More to come as I can sneak a few minutes in.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Bert wrote:That should be part of a proverb to hang on the wall, something like: "May the road rise to meet you, may Plumbing Entropy stay far away from your new home....etc.
:)
About 2 weeks after moving into our first home (We are in #2 now) our water heater went on the frits.
I had a similar incident myself, except I had a moderately serious seal leak develop on the same day, and I called that the Week of Plumbing Entropy. So I wish it away from other new home owners, who have enough to worry about already.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: WOW.....it's been a while

Post by mariek »

Wow, that must be so exciting! How long did it take you to find your dream house? We've been looking for a couple years now, but our seach has been put on hold for now.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Kopio wrote:and a new bed (double ouch...we went for the Tempurpedic).
How do you like the Tempurpedic? My husband has suggested that we get one. Unfortunately, we don't know anyone who has it so haven't heard of anyone's first hand experience with it.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

Kopio wrote:The house we were renting before was so small that we didn't have a dining room....therefore no dining room table or chairs (we used TV trays and the sofa).....I am going to sit down to my first meal at the new table in just a minute (Marj made a pork roast)
This will be one of your most memorable meals. :D

Geez... we have a dining room, and a large dining room table (it's probably 8ft long) ... but we've been eating in the living room on the sofa & cofee table. The dining room seems to have accumulated storage boxes ever since my husband moved in, and stuff accumulated on top of the dining room table ever since we got married (all that stuff people give you). It needs a thorough defragging. One of these days we'll eat on it again... I just keep thinking that it'll be easier to defrag as we move into a new house, but that hasn't happened since we can't find a house under 1mil that we like.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

mariek wrote:How do you like the Tempurpedic? My husband has suggested that we get one. Unfortunately, we don't know anyone who has it so haven't heard of anyone's first hand experience with it.
We absolutely love it. I have some medical problems that usually cause me to wake up 3-5 times per night on average....major REM sleep isn't something I get very much of usually. With our new matress I have only been waking up 1-2 times per night now. I feel more rested than I have in years. We got the matress for a couple of reasons. First, my parents own one and they absolutely love it. Second, my wife likes a really firm matress, and I like a really soft one. The Tempurpedic matress manages to be both at once. I get the cushy sinking in feeling, that I like, she gets the firm back support that she likes.
mariek wrote:Wow, that must be so exciting! How long did it take you to find your dream house? We've been looking for a couple years now, but our seach has been put on hold for now.
We were looking for about 6 months. We had originally started buying a different house, but after 3 months of agony things fell through (we had our hearts set on it too), then we looked at our house, but didn't fall in love with it (except for the location), we put in two different offers on other homes, and then finally came back and looked at our house and thought about how we could remodel to make it how we wanted it, then we offered them 10k less than they were asking. After a series of events we eventually got almost the full 10k off the asking price. It's crazy too, because this house was on the market for a week and a half, which is an eternity for a house in this price range out here.

Marj and I really feel this is the spot where God wanted us. We have started going to a wonderful little country church (our last church the membership was around 5000), where we can really minister to this small community. I am planning on starting an AA type meeting based from our new church....there are currently only 2 AA meetings in the area, and this is an area that has become affected with meth use and other related problems. We felt about 6 months ago that we should have moved out here, then we put the offers on all the other homes and got rejected. The first offer in this area we put in was accepted. Some people prefer "chance" or "lucky".....I choose "fortunate" or "blessed"....it truly has been a series of fortunate coincedences! :P Ok.....I'll get off my soapbox now!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Kopio wrote: The thing that has been killing me is the money!! We got all new appliances in the kitchen (ouch) and a new bed (double ouch...we went for the Tempurpedic) so on top of all the other costs, we managed to rack up much, much more.....oh well.....I guess it's a good thing I have a couple of pretty good jobs :)
Tell me about it. I think we all go through that. For our first house it was like I owned stock in Home Depot. It's amazing how it all adds up, appliances, furniture and right down to the little things like a box of screws.

With my current house, it's #2 for my wife and I, spending money started immediately. On the day I picked up the keys, I entered from the door in garage, put the keys on the kitchen counter and went back into the garage to get a box. When I tried to open the garage door again, I realized the lock was one of those stupid locks that opens from one side, but it's locked on another.

So in literally less than 1 minute I had already spent $55 bucks in order to call a locksmith to get my door open again :-) Silly me.

jeff
Textkit Founder

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

jeff wrote:On the day I picked up the keys, I entered from the door in garage, put the keys on the kitchen counter and went back into the garage to get a box. When I tried to open the garage door again, I realized the lock was one of those stupid locks that opens from one side, but it's locked on another.
This story is so funny because almost the exact same thing happened to me when we moved into our current house. After dark my wife & I went outside into the back yard and managed to lock ourselves out because of the same kind of lock. Because we had 3 kids inside (the oldest of which was 4 and apparently was too scared to come downstairs to open the door) we had to call the fire department to help us. Nice way to introduce ourselves to the neighbors.

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Many years ago, when living by myself, I managed to lock myself out of the house on Christmas Day! I went to my next door neighbour and said "good morning, Merry Christmas, do you have a hammer?" He gave me one, then, a few minutes later, when he heard the sound of breaking glass decided he wouldn't go and ask for the hammer back! When I returned it a day later he looked quite nervous opening the door!
I had really just decided it would be cheaper to call out a glazier later than a locksmith on Christmas day. We used to laugh about it later, the crazy neighbour who decided to smash the windows for Christmas!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

That's interesting how the Tempurpedic is both firm and soft. My husband thinks it's worth trying when we get our next bed, probably after we get our new house (if ever!). Isn't it funny how we spend so much more money on a car which we spend very little time in compared to what we'll spend on our bed where we spend almost 1/3 of our day in?

You're lucky you were able to offer 10k less than the asking price on your house. Over here, the offers go above the asking price. There was one house we were interested in that sold for over 100k over asking. Eeks! Very disappointing for the weary house hunter...

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

mariek wrote:Isn't it funny how we spend so much more money on a car which we spend very little time in compared to what we'll spend on our bed where we spend almost 1/3 of our day in?
I guess if you are comfortable you don't think about changing the mattress. Mine is quite a few years old, it's the pillows I keep changing. They all seem to be too flat or too bulky or lumpy or something. And whenever I find a good one they immediately stop manufacturing that type of pillow!

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Well, today was a putting around the house kind of day......

I.......organized the garage (you can at least walk through it now), replaced all of the old light switches (nice new switches...it's cheap and looks great), moved some dressers around, hung a cabinet in the bathroom (my wife already wants me to move it somewhere else), hung up a towel rack in the bathroom, put up an new light fixture in the hall, and I am getting ready to go mow the lawn!

All in all, I've been pretty busy. I've started on a bit of a fitness kick...we'll see how long it lasts. So far this week I've gone jogging (which is quite humorous if you know me at all) and I went mountain biking (about 4 miles of pretty rough trail). Today, after the lawn mowing, I am going to take my dog for a nice long walk. I think I've finally gotten fed up with being chubby (such a pain to tie you shoes!) and out of shape....more than anything else, I don't want to end up looking like my father! I already sound like him half the time, if I look like him too, I'd have to do myself in! I figured since I have a great park just 5 blocks away I might as well take advantage of it.

The house is really starting to feel like a home, right now I am trying to talk my wife into buying a couple of more bookcases (I only have 7 right now) for our bedroom. That should be enough to house most all of my books AT THE MOMENT :lol: Once things are really straightened up and put away I will definitely post some pics for everybody to see (I'll make sure and include lots of pictures of the bookcases!)

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

I'm just contemplating buying bookshelf No.7 at the moment, but where to put it!!! Maybe the next step is to get bookshelves that go right to the ceiling (very high as it is an old house) and one of those ladders they used to have in the old fashioned libraries; they were made of wood and ran on little wheels. I wish I could fit 7 bookshelves into our bedroom, but then there wouldn't be room for us!
Can't wait to see the pics Kopio.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

hehe.....I don't have 7 bookcases in my bedroom (that'd be crazy big) I have 7 bookcases altogether. I am fitting two of them into my bedroom. 2 Dresser,s a queensize bed, two endtables, and two bookcases is the maximum capacity for my bedroom (I think it is 11X13)....7 bookcases in my bedroom....oooooh that would be so cool :P