How many languages do you know?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

11%
22%
31%
14%
11%
6%
7 or more
6%

Total votes: 36

JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JLatin1 »

Not a must, but it would be great if you could also post which languages you know and your current level of fluency.

In order to count as knowing a language you should at least be semi-fluent. (Whatever that means to you)

From,
-Jonathan.
Last edited by JLatin1 on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

First one

Post by JLatin1 »

I'll start:

1. English - native language
2. Hebrew- can hold a conversation, read and write simple Hebrew
3. Latin-Almost through with two semesters, can read and translate basic Latin. Almost no verbal fluency.

Gunnarius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gunnarius »

Here goes:

1. Icelandic, native.
2. English, fluent.
3. German, can hold up a simple conversation, better at reading.
4. I'm familiar with the Scandinavian languages and can read them (with a dictionary).
5. Latin at beginners level.

Beati Pauperes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Beati Pauperes »

Well, only 2...

1. Spanish: native, can write it and speak it fluently.
2. English: can speak it and write it (although not perfectly)
3. Latin: just in a beginner level.... :wink:

Saturnalicius Princeps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Saturnalicius Princeps »

1. English, native tongue
2. French, conversational
3. Latin, reading more than writing (of course), still improving.

Additionally, I would count Japanese except its been so long that I'm forgetting much of it.

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

English, Native
Latin, reasonably well. I would feel almost comfortable in Ancient Rome, and would probably be fluent in a few months there.
Hebrew, modern; simple conversation, "where's the consulate?/do you speak english? but also come more complicated stuff left over from BH
Hebrew, Biblical; reasaonbly well. I know the grammar, picking up vocab and perfecting my verb declining is all that's left.
Greek, ancient; 4 semesters down.
Aramaic: Self taught, only a few months, but progressing nicely. A grammar almost identical to Hebrew is convient, and much vocab overaps.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

English---Native
German---Two years in High School, years ago. Still practice with German speaking friends
Greek---4 1/2 years at University, Mainly Biblical, 1 1/2 years non-biblical
Hebrew---Two Years at university ALL biblical
Aramaic--Studied VERY shortly in Hebrew Classes, enough that I can sort of understand when I watch "The Passion of the Christ"

Out of all of those languages, I would only try to talk to someone in German or English....although my Jewish friends are mighty impressed when I quote Hebrew Memory Verse, (They say my accent is perfect...this from an Israeli National!!)

I hope to pick up Latin next, but right now it's brushing up on German and Homeric Greek.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

English, Latin, Spanish, in order of proficiency. I am too ashamed of my Greek skill to list that as well (I will learn it someday!).
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

English,
Korean

I didn't list Latin (rusty) and German (in the process of learning). I hope to learn Italian as well, and someday Greek.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Bilingual in English and German. I can read French, but I can hardly talk it. I can also understand Dutch if I listen carefully and read it. Then Latin and Greek, read and understand only of course, I don't often meet Romans I can talk to in Latin :lol: . I once learned modern Greek, but I think I can say I've forgotten most of what I've learned - not been to Greece for ages :( . I'm trying to learn Italian now... (emphasis on trying :cry: , hehehe, obviously not trying that hard :? )

So, ignoring Dutch, modern Greek and Italian that's 4

edit: uh... I didn't count English... damn, I've already cast my vote though :P
should be 5

Adelheid
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Adelheid »

There was another poll about this same subject not so long ago:

viewtopic.php?t=2933&highlight=languages

Perhaps interesting to take a look at the results there too.

I go for 5: Dutch, English, German, Italian, French.

My Latin and Ancient Greek are not good enough anymore/yet.

Regards,
Adelheid

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

Italian, mother tongue
Venetian, mother tongue (does it count? In Italy it is considered a dialect, but it is listed as a language in the Ethnologue
:roll: )
English (I could improve a lot, I wouldn't say I am proficient)
I am learning French and I cannot speak it very well yet. Anyway I can read a French book/newspaper almost without a dictionary (and also Spanish in some extend) thanks to similarity with Italian.
German, basic, I can order a beer at Oktoberfest
:D
Russian basic ( I forgot most)
Latin/Greek: funny I studied them for 5 years at Gymnasium (high school) but in a "grammatical" way, so I know the grammar and I can read them with a dictionary. I am working at improving Latin, learning it like a living language.

Lupus minimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupus minimus »

French and English: Mother tongues.
Spanish: fluent (lived in South America for three years).
Japanese: fluent (lived in Japan for nine years).
German: learning. I can understand most Nena songs now, which makes me quite happy.
Latin: learning. Embarassed by how slowly it is progressing. Oh well...

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Korean, native
English, I can hold up a conversation but not fluent, I can scantly catch up movies and news

I won't count a number of languages I only started but never got to any small bit of fluency.

FiliusLunae
Textkit Member

Post by FiliusLunae »

Fluent:
  • -English
    --------------
    -Spanish
    -Portuguese
    -French
At an advanced level:
  • -Italian
    -Catalan
Intermediate level/Learning:
  • -Occitan
    -Latin
Yes... "Romance" rules! :wink:
The reaction I usually get when asked what languages I speak is:
-What languages do you speak?
-Oh, just Romance languages, and studying Latin.
-Which Romance languages?
-(Refer to the list above)
-**Just how many Romance languages can you learn before you end up all confused?**
Well, as I have said before, I don't see these languages like that; it is actually the fact that they're all very similar, which is what turns some people off, what turns me "on" to them. As most of you who speak more than one Romance language, I can understand all the minority languages, but the list above takes in consideration understanding, reading, and, the very important, speaking. I started with Occitan a few weeks ago, and indeed it's a breeze.
The only reason I put Italian and Catalan in "advanced level" is because I haven't had the opportunity to use them or speak them as much as the others, though I can understand both completely.
And Latin, I put it in intermediate because I just finished Wheelock's and have started to read some original Latin texts, so I guess that would place me in an intermediate level, right? (That is, as opposed to beginner or advanced).

And yeah, no Romanian. :roll:

Olga R.
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Olga R. »

Bilingual in Russian and Modern Greek.
Ancient Greek -- even if we separate it from the Modern one (which I would prefer not to do), I speak it from my childhood.
English -- second language.
Portuguese -- fluent.
French -- semi-fluent.
Greman -- semi-fluent.
Latin -- semi-fluent.

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Fluent in English & Korean. However with Korean, I do not know how to read or write the characters. One day, I may teach myself.

German--semi-fluent.

Latin--intermediate level

Spanish--beginning level, finishing my first semester of Spanish at the university. It is an intensive course, which means it is one full year's worth of university-level Spanish crammed into one semester.

Lupus minimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupus minimus »

It seems there are a lot of Korean speakers interested in Greek or Latin.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

in order of proficiency: english, cantonese, french, mandarin

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

I am well acquainted with English, and I spoke German alongside English until I was eight. (Although I lost a lot of it over the years. I am working hard to recover it and become truly fluent.) And Latin on a beginner/intermediate level. I'd like to think I am six months away from the beginning stages of basic reading competency.

I am dabbling in Anglo Saxon, although I'm doing that mostly to understand the roots of English better.

Wish list: French and Ancient Greek. Arabic would be nice, too.

I admire those of you who are naturally good with languages and who have acquired knowledge of many. I would gladly trade my ability in music for a natural knack at languages.

WB

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

German, English, Greek

(German better than English, but because of the Internet (I write almost only in English) I'm not sure about the rest. It looks I forget a language quite easy.)

ThomasGR
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ThomasGR »

Lupus minimus wrote:It seems there are a lot of Korean speakers interested in Greek or Latin.
I have also this impression.
I wonder how comes and lot of Koreans and Japanese people are interesting in ancient Latin and Greek? What's the practical usage of it? Just a hobby?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

ThomasGR wrote:I wonder how comes and lot of Koreans and Japanese people are interesting in ancient Latin and Greek? What's the practical usage of it? Just a hobby?
I would think these questions apply to everyone, no matter what their native language.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

William wrote:I admire those of you who are naturally good with languages and who have acquired knowledge of many. I would gladly trade my ability in music for a natural knack at languages.
Perhaps we can arrange a partial trade.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I wouldn't mind making a deal with someone that would give both musical ability and a natural knack for languages.

JLatin1
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JLatin1 »

Bert wrote:I wouldn't mind making a deal with someone that would give both musical ability and a natural knack for languages.
As long as that someone makes a *heck* of a bargain, right?. Might want to watch out for your soul. though

oistos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oistos »

Languages:

English (Native)
French (fluent)
Spanish (conversational/intermediate)

I've dabbled in a lot of other languages too.

I think that music and language are related. I pick up languages very easily. I can read music but I learn it better by ear. Once I learn a song I seem to know it forever. If someone could put Homer to music I would learn it in no time. :D

mind
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mind »

1. Russian (native)
2. English (upper intermediate, I daresay)

Around 15 years ago I spoke Lettish at a basic level. My Latin is still very weak to be even mentioned here. Also, I can read simple texts in French and Polish. So, I answered '2'.

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

annis wrote:Perhaps we can arrange a partial trade.
Nice!

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Bert wrote:I wouldn't mind making a deal with someone that would give both musical ability and a natural knack for languages.
I bet there have been people like that. I just haven't met one yet!

WB

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

William wrote:

WB
Before I was a classical languages major, I was a music comp major. I think, for me, they use the same part of the brain or something.

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

yadfothgildloc wrote:
William wrote:

WB
Before I was a classical languages major, I was a music comp major. I think, for me, they use the same part of the brain or something.
Ah ha! I have now met one. How interesting...what made you switch over if you don't mind sharing?

WB

makaush
Textkit Neophyte

Post by makaush »

canarese- native
tamil-can speak
english-proficient
german-intermediate
italian-intermediate
hindi-can speak, read and write

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I don't care how many languages you can all speak how big are your deltoids? :?:

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Well I can play the triangle and read swedish, does that mean I am that some one :?:

William
Textkit Fan

Post by William »

Episcopus wrote:I don't care how many languages you can all speak how big are your deltoids? :?:
How would I measure them? 'Cause lemme tell you, they're big.

WB

yadfothgildloc
Textkit Member

Post by yadfothgildloc »

William wrote:Ah ha! I have now met one. How interesting...what made you switch over if you don't mind sharing?

WB
At the time, and still to this day, I have no singing ability - I just don't, and I don't like to. Sight singing is required; not only would it have been painful for me, it might have been impossible. Also, I'm a guitarist, not a pianist, which causes trouble. I loved, and still do, music theory and guitar.

Cédric
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Cédric »

I voted 7 but i'm not fluent in all of those :

1. French (my mother tongue) ;
2. English - fluent ;
3. Spanish - understand written and spoken can speak so to get myself out of tricky situations ;
4. Italian - understand it when written or spoken but cant utter a word, or i mix it with Spanish ;
5. Latin (well that's my job so i'd better know it a little ;))
6. Ancient Greek (same as above and i'm doing a PHD in Greek so...)
7. Modern Greek - learning still, i got the basis (Ancient greek helps a lot) and can understand when spoken and written as well, as for speaking i'm getting better... ;)

Next steps, Japanes and Chinese when my Modern Greek is good enough :)