Latin-Greek Lexicon

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
cweb255
Textkit Fan

Latin-Greek Lexicon

Post by cweb255 »

I found a Latin-Greek Lexicon at a bookstore here in Memphis from 1767. Anyone have any ideas on the best ways to preserve such a book?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I will preserve it for you!

:)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

you aren't the first person to say that...

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Scan, pdf, and post it on textkit. 8)

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

yoboseyo mingshey,
I seriously would, but the work is too old to do a full scan of it. I fear that it would fall apart if I did such a thing. I was thinking of translating the preface, all in Latin, but I decided not to do such a thing for the same reason. I did get the first page translated and a scan (poor). I'll put them up later. I wish this to be preserved as long as possible, and besides, aren't there already Latin-Greek Lexicons already? I'll contact a book expert and sees what s/he has to say.

Best regards,
cweb255

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

store in a cool, dry place... :lol:

If you're really worried I might be able to ask the librarian at my school, she cares for over a few hundred books that are old, quite a few still handwritten.

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

I seriously would, but the work is too old to do a full scan of it.
There are non destructive scanning, but they are probably super expensive to do. However, if you have a decent digital SLR camera, a little lighting know-how, and a monk's patience, you can make a decent scan that way too without breaking the bank.

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

I don't have a decent digital camera!

However, I'll look around to see if there's a process I can do to preserve it while still use it. A lexicon from the 18th century would be a very valuable thing to me, and I'm dying to find out what the preface says, as it is written in Latin as well. I'll get back to you all on this.