Image processing question

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Who can recommend an app capable of splitting scanned dual pages (like in a book, that is)? How about any additional processing?

Another question. Who is the forum admin?

Aurelia
Textkit Fan

Post by Aurelia »

Who is the forum admin?
That would be jeff. :D

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I use PageGeniePro. It's an old program but works pretty well. It has a feature to batch crop pages. So you can make 2 copies of your files and batch crop the left side and then batch crop the right side. Once done, use another utility to auto rename (CKRename) the files and put them all in one directory. Then go back to PageGenie to combine all the files into 1 single mutlipage file.

jeff
Textkit Founder

tdominus
Textkit Member

Post by tdominus »

Jeff, have you tried OCR on the texts?

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Yes, quite a bit. It's hopeless for now. The foreign fonts, character size and complex layouts all add up to tremendous OCR cleaning. It's just not worth it. I'm always hoping that in a few years OCR software will get good enough to handle this kind of text with better accuracy.

jeff
Textkit Founder

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

jeff wrote:I use PageGeniePro. It's an old program but works pretty well. It has a feature to batch crop pages. So you can make 2 copies of your files and batch crop the left side and then batch crop the right side. Once done, use another utility to auto rename (CKRename) the files and put them all in one directory. Then go back to PageGenie to combine all the files into 1 single mutlipage file.

jeff
Thanks, that's pretty much the solution I have to resort to.
BWT, I sent you a PM a few days ago. Did you get it?

Lisa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lisa »

Hi,

For batch processes, we use products by Informatik:

http://www.informatik.com/

Best,
Lisa

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

hi Lisa,

I have demoed many of those products. Is there any one in particular that you use and like? What do you use it for?

I'm right now looking for a utility that can take a multipage .tiff and separate it into single files, 1 file for each page. If I could do that, I could clean page images faster.

jeff
Textkit Founder

Lisa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lisa »

Hi,

Well, we scan with Infothek Scan, and use Infothek Reformat for things like splitting and combining the multi-page tiffs. It's bare-bones gray software, and can be trial-by-error, but relatively cheap and anything I can buy or upgrade without leaving my desk and install within the hour is fine by me.

Best,
Lisa