Introducing me ...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Introducing me ...

Post by installer_swan »

Salvete omnes,
I have been lurking on this list for quite some time although I haven't yet posted to it. I have been meaning to learn Latin for quite some time, but my laziness and busy work-schedule at college conspired to delay me thus far. Now, I hope to start in earnest and use the winter break to attain at least rudimetary proficiency in this noble language so that I can start reading something in order to keep my interest in the subject.

About me: I am a Physics major at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. I am passionate about my Physics and Maths, in fact reading some works in the original latin, including Newton's Principia were probably my primary motivations to learn the language.

I have one question as to the best method to go about learning. I have got Benjamin D'Ooge's book from textkit's e-books collection and am following it. I have subscribed to the vocabulary tool and learnt quite a few words so that now I can more or less make some sense out of simple mottos and sayings. One problem is that I can recall the meaning of a latin word once I see it, but the converse I find much more difficult. Any tips on how to improve upon this?

I see that many of you are actually latin scholars at school/college, I suppose I would be slower in learning on account of that, so I hope you will bear with me.

I think I've already tested your patience enough with such a long post so I should probably end now.

Thanks a lot for your amazing resources, and I hope I can make use of these to learn Latin.

Bye
Shanth

masuro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by masuro »

Welcome! I'm learning Latin primarily from Wheelock's and I use the D'ooge for review. I am also a beginner and I'm learning Latin in my free time mostly for fun.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

welcome!

it seems like they're all physicists. :)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Welcome, Swannie.

There’re several physicists here. We also have a few Latinists too. :wink:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Welcome to Textkit! :D

Hope you Latin studies go well :-)

installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by installer_swan »

Thanks to you all for the welcome. Now comes the tough part, following through and actually study consistently :roll: through some stuff before I can get to the interesting stuff.
Eureka wrote:There’re several physicists here. We also have a few Latinists too. :wink:
Cool! Nice to know that. Also, by the way how many from Asia/South-East-Asia? I suppose there would be a lot of Europeans on this forum. Is latin compulsory in school anywhere?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well, it's a compulsory main subject at my school from age 10/11 onwards, but not in the whole of the state :-P. I don't know if it's compulsory in Italy, I think Ancient Greek might be in Greece, but again it might just have been those particular schools my Greek friends went too that insisted.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Welcome!
There are quite a bunch of people from Asia, and a few Europeans/Americas living in Asia. I am another physics major who likes to post this on the door.

P.S.
Nice avatar! An eyeball with fangs?

installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by installer_swan »

mingshey wrote: ... in Asia. I am another physics major who likes to post this on the door.
It's pretty wierd to know so many physics guys are out here.
BTW, I missed one item of your you may be a physics major if ... list :
if you frequently whistle the theme song to "MacGyver."
Who/What is "MacGyver". So yay, I'm not such a geek after all, I did miss one item of your list, not to mention that I haven't yet put up the hard copy because my printer quota is over for this month. :D
mingshey wrote:Nice avatar! An eyeball with fangs?
Oh, that's a character called ``Junior'' from an online comic strip called One Over Zero. It's pretty interesting in a wierd sort of way.

Shanth

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

installer_swan wrote: It's pretty wierd to know so many physics guys are out here.
BTW, I missed one item of your you may be a physics major if ... list :
if you frequently whistle the theme song to "MacGyver."
Who/What is "MacGyver". So yay, I'm not such a geek after all, I did miss one item of your list, not to mention that I haven't yet put up the hard copy because my printer quota is over for this month. :D
There's this line there:
if you understood more than five of these indicators.
So you can call yourself a geek, if that can be an acronym for a phygeeks major. :wink:

Forget about MacGuyver. He's another physics geek, or a loser who got himself hooked up in an espionage agency. But if you are still interested, you could find out quite a few amount of info about him just by typing 'macguyver' in google.

Just for your info, the theme song's here: http://timstvshowcase.com/macgyver.html -> http://www.kfcplainfield.com/sound/macgyver.mp3
Last edited by mingshey on Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive »

if you have no life - and you can PROVE it mathematically
now THAT is funny