Introducing me ...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Introducing me ...

Post by installer_swan » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:14 pm

Salvete omnes,
I have been lurking on this list for quite some time although I haven't yet posted to it. I have been meaning to learn Latin for quite some time, but my laziness and busy work-schedule at college conspired to delay me thus far. Now, I hope to start in earnest and use the winter break to attain at least rudimetary proficiency in this noble language so that I can start reading something in order to keep my interest in the subject.

About me: I am a Physics major at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. I am passionate about my Physics and Maths, in fact reading some works in the original latin, including Newton's Principia were probably my primary motivations to learn the language.

I have one question as to the best method to go about learning. I have got Benjamin D'Ooge's book from textkit's e-books collection and am following it. I have subscribed to the vocabulary tool and learnt quite a few words so that now I can more or less make some sense out of simple mottos and sayings. One problem is that I can recall the meaning of a latin word once I see it, but the converse I find much more difficult. Any tips on how to improve upon this?

I see that many of you are actually latin scholars at school/college, I suppose I would be slower in learning on account of that, so I hope you will bear with me.

I think I've already tested your patience enough with such a long post so I should probably end now.

Thanks a lot for your amazing resources, and I hope I can make use of these to learn Latin.

Bye
Shanth
phpbb

masuro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by masuro » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:32 am

Welcome! I'm learning Latin primarily from Wheelock's and I use the D'ooge for review. I am also a beginner and I'm learning Latin in my free time mostly for fun.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:50 am

welcome!

it seems like they're all physicists. :)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:02 am

Welcome, Swannie.

There’re several physicists here. We also have a few Latinists too. :wink:
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:26 am

Welcome to Textkit! :D

Hope you Latin studies go well :-)
phpbb

installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by installer_swan » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:43 pm

Thanks to you all for the welcome. Now comes the tough part, following through and actually study consistently :roll: through some stuff before I can get to the interesting stuff.
Eureka wrote:There’re several physicists here. We also have a few Latinists too. :wink:
Cool! Nice to know that. Also, by the way how many from Asia/South-East-Asia? I suppose there would be a lot of Europeans on this forum. Is latin compulsory in school anywhere?
phpbb

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:47 pm

Well, it's a compulsory main subject at my school from age 10/11 onwards, but not in the whole of the state :-P. I don't know if it's compulsory in Italy, I think Ancient Greek might be in Greece, but again it might just have been those particular schools my Greek friends went too that insisted.
phpbb

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:10 am

Welcome!
There are quite a bunch of people from Asia, and a few Europeans/Americas living in Asia. I am another physics major who likes to post this on the door.

P.S.
Nice avatar! An eyeball with fangs?

installer_swan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by installer_swan » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:30 am

mingshey wrote: ... in Asia. I am another physics major who likes to post this on the door.
It's pretty wierd to know so many physics guys are out here.
BTW, I missed one item of your you may be a physics major if ... list :
if you frequently whistle the theme song to "MacGyver."
Who/What is "MacGyver". So yay, I'm not such a geek after all, I did miss one item of your list, not to mention that I haven't yet put up the hard copy because my printer quota is over for this month. :D
mingshey wrote:Nice avatar! An eyeball with fangs?
Oh, that's a character called ``Junior'' from an online comic strip called One Over Zero. It's pretty interesting in a wierd sort of way.

Shanth
phpbb

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:55 am

installer_swan wrote: It's pretty wierd to know so many physics guys are out here.
BTW, I missed one item of your you may be a physics major if ... list :
if you frequently whistle the theme song to "MacGyver."
Who/What is "MacGyver". So yay, I'm not such a geek after all, I did miss one item of your list, not to mention that I haven't yet put up the hard copy because my printer quota is over for this month. :D
There's this line there:
if you understood more than five of these indicators.
So you can call yourself a geek, if that can be an acronym for a phygeeks major. :wink:

Forget about MacGuyver. He's another physics geek, or a loser who got himself hooked up in an espionage agency. But if you are still interested, you could find out quite a few amount of info about him just by typing 'macguyver' in google.

Just for your info, the theme song's here: http://timstvshowcase.com/macgyver.html -> http://www.kfcplainfield.com/sound/macgyver.mp3
Last edited by mingshey on Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

primitive
Textkit Member

Post by primitive » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:21 am

if you have no life - and you can PROVE it mathematically
now THAT is funny
phpbb