Greetings From Jeff

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Greetings From Jeff

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I read somewhere that creating a board for introductions and off-topic postings would help induce lurkers into posting. <br /><br />So I'm giving it a try.. ;)<br /><br />Welcome to my site. As you can tell, I like posting free downloadable Greek and Latin Grammars.
Textkit Founder

Alex
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Greetings From Jeff

Post by Alex »

Hello everyone. I must admit, I feel like something of an interloper on this site. I am 22 years old and I am very keen to learn Latin, but don't know where to begin! I live in Preston, Lancs, have just graduated with a first in English Literature, and want to have a grounding in Latin before I go off to do my MA. Can anyone help? Please do!

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Alex, I know just how you feel! I live in Adelaide, Australia, and had a very frustrating time trying to find somewhere to learn Latin after work or by correspondence. I finally found the University of New England here in Australia and am doing a BA by correspondence. I am sure you would have similar systems in the UK. And you wouldn't have to travel 1200 kilometres to attend the 4 day residential school every semester! <br />Fortunately I have family near the university and can do a family/uni visit in one hit! Good luck<br />Carola

klwps
Textkit Neophyte

Post by klwps »

Hi Alex,<br /><br /> Well, I'm certainly pleased to see that other university students still see the value of the classical languages. Of course, some like W.B. Yeats thought that one should first learn Greek. But the only advice I might offer is that you can always purchase a beginning Latin textbook such as Wheellock 's (spelling?) and trudge through it on your own. This is somewhat difficult, but I have personally met others who have done this and they seem to do fine at reading. One caveat is that you will need to memorize much more than you might have done before. And there is always support at this web site and at other classical user -group pages. Good Luck!

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

Congratulations Alex; both on your completion of the first level English degree and decision to study Latin. I also highly recommend Wheelock's Latin - there is also an excellent companion workbook with an answer key, as well as a collection of 38 Latin Stories for translation practice, divided by chapter. All three of these books should be readily available if you inquire with your bookseller, and of course you can purchase them online; Good Luck!

Erica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Erica »

WOW! The site looks great! Love the new design. :D

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

hi erica,<br /><br />thanks, graphics have always been a low priorty in the past since we have been focusing our efforts on adding content. But i finally got around to adding some window dressings.<br /><br />Speaking of content, I'm buried in photocopied books about to be scanned..new content is coming online VERY soon with the fist being White's First Greek Book that we have been promising of oh about 6 months now. Finally found a copy that did not have such narrow gutters.<br /><br />jeff
Textkit Founder

moss
Textkit Neophyte

Post by moss »

Hi to Jeff and All<br /><br />Just introducing myself. I'm a middle aged old fogey who just likes to potter about in philosophy and the theory of knowledge for its own sake. Trying to understand Plato's Theaetetus and Aristotle's De Anima I thought it would benefit to learn a little Greek and try to sink into the soul of their times.<br /><br />Found the site by accident so it was a happy surprise.<br /><br />Best Wishes<br />Moss