I have an idea: Why don't the Blue states join Canada?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

I have an idea: Why don't the Blue states join Canada?

Post by PeterD »

Hi,

I think this would be a win-win situation for all parties concerned, including the Red states. Here me out...

The Blue states in becoming Canadian provinces would receive free healthcare from cradle-to-grave, affordable college education, and NO MORE WARS, among the many benefits.

Canada, in turn, will have acces to a warm year-round climate (i.e.,California -- Hi, Jeff!), an educated, liberal populace, and many other goodies which fail to come to mind as I am rushing this post because supper is almost ready.

The Red States, until they come to their senses and they, too, join Canada, can do whatever they fancy: pass a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriages, guns (and more guns) for all its citizens (young and old), mandatory school prayers, whatever their hearts fancy -- no ACLU to worry about.

It's just a thought. :)

~PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Would they have to adopt Canadian accents?

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Oddly, you're not the first person to come up with this idea...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

haha great stuff! That one's definitely approved by the only heterosexual bisceop around! (me)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Get that new constitution ready.

Episcopus wrote:haha great stuff! That one's definitely approved by the only heterosexual bisceop around! (me)
I'm sure the altar-boys are glad to hear it.

EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EmptyMan »

Lol. I wish the blue states would join Canada. You guys can kill all the kids you want, then you can go and harvest their organs for all the stem cells you need.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

That picture is great.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

An important question is, where does the tax revenue mainly come from, the red states or the blue ones?

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

Alaska is left out. :cry: :lol:

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

classicalclarinet wrote:Alaska is left out. :cry: :lol:
No medicine for you.

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

Many of the blue states had many counties that were actually red (see the county map put out by the USA Today). Does Canada want the entire state with the red counties or just the blue counties? Califormia, for example, was almost entirely red. Only the counties with the large cities were blue.

Just curious

Rhuiden

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Yeah, only CITIES were blue. It's pretty striking, like Dems are sitting in New York all forted-up. :P

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

Eureka wrote:An important question is, where does the tax revenue mainly come from, the red states or the blue ones?
A very good question. Most of the taxpayers live in the red states. The blue states are where most of the tax money is spent. I am liking this plan more and more.

Rhuiden

EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EmptyMan »

Darn baby-killing city slickers taking all of New York and California.(That was a joke, kind of.)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Rhuiden wrote:
Eureka wrote:An important question is, where does the tax revenue mainly come from, the red states or the blue ones?
A very good question. Most of the taxpayers live in the red states. The blue states are where most of the tax money is spent. I am liking this plan more and more.
Most of the taxpayers live in the red states, but they are the poorer states. Perhaps more federal taxes are collected in the blue states.

Also, are you sure more federal tax money is spent in blue states?

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Many of the blue states had many counties that were actually red (see the county map put out by the USA Today). Does Canada want the entire state with the red counties or just the blue counties? Califormia, for example, was almost entirely red. Only the counties with the large cities were blue.
This one....

EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EmptyMan »

Nice. It's a red country all-right. Too bad these big cities can almost control the whole country.
Last edited by EmptyMan on Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

Eureka wrote:Also, are you sure more federal tax money is spent in blue states?
We are talking about welfare, right? Most welfare is spent in urban areas.

Rhuiden

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Also, are you sure more federal tax money is spent in blue states?
Ted Stevens. Ak (R). Chairman of Appropriations Committee (and Military Appropriations (sp?) Subcommittee)

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

EmptyMan wrote:Nice. It's a red country all-right. Too bad these big cities can almost control the whole country.
That's because the big cities have lots of people living in them. Trees and cows don't get to vote, only people.

EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EmptyMan »

Rhuiden wrote:
Rhuiden
You sure about that? We got alot of poor here in the south.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Too bad these big cities can almost control the whole country.
Indeed, these blue counties may seem smaller in size, but they're equivalent in population.

Turpissimus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Turpissimus »

Nice. It's a red country all-right. Too bad these big cities can almost control the whole country.
Well, bear in mind that more people live there. Also, we would do well to remember that cities do not consume more tax money than they create. Yes, poverty and costly infrastructure do eat up cash, but the industries in a city produce tonnes of money. Even if you said that people who worked in a city and lived in suburbs should be stripped out of the equation, cities do produce more money than you might be inclined to think.

Sorry, I don't have a link to any evidence.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Rhuiden wrote:
I'm really talking about any kind of non-millitary spending. Those massive farmers' subsidies would be spent mainly in red states.

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

Eureka wrote:
Rhuiden wrote:
I'm really talking about any kind of non-millitary spending. Those massive farmers' subsidies would be spent mainly in red states.
I really hate farmer subsidies. Here in Tennessee (as well as everywhere else I assume), farmers are actually paid to not grow certain crops. It is a travesty.

Rhuiden

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Apparently, the solution to make the country more liberal is to put more rivers in. If you want to make it more conservative then you take away the rivers. Just look at the Mississippi area, it's an island of liberalism in the middle of the Bible Belt.

That map is really interesting...
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Rhuiden wrote:I really hate farmer subsidies. Here in Tennessee (as well as everywhere else I assume), farmers are actually paid to not grow certain crops. It is a travesty.
Didn't the Romans do something similar? Leaving vast swathes of Italian farmland unused, and creating many jealous barbarians.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

I think that was rather class warfare than economic subtleties.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

benissimus wrote:Apparently, the solution to make the country more liberal is to put more rivers in. If you want to make it more conservative then you take away the rivers. Just look at the Mississippi area, it's an island of liberalism in the middle of the Bible Belt.

That's because big cities a built on rivers, and cities tend to be liberal.

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

Wow, things are moving fast and furious tonight.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

It is only afternoon here. :)
I slept till 2:30 :P

EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EmptyMan »

benissimus wrote:Apparently, the solution to make the country more liberal is to put more rivers in. If you want to make it more conservative then you take away the rivers. Just look at the Mississippi area, it's an island of liberalism in the middle of the Bible Belt.

Hmm... Out of the two counties I live by the one that is directly next to Savannah River got more votes in for Kerry. Strange.

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

Turpissimus wrote:
Califormia, for example, was almost entirely red. Only the counties with the large cities were blue.
This one....
Remember that even in Red counties there are Blue voters, and vice versa. Red country is not as red as it appears.

They only way to get a true picture would be to photograph the country from above, after painting the top of every voter's head blue or red. Ha ha.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

But don't forget. It's fall and the NE would be all red. ;)

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

Eureka wrote:I'm really talking about any kind of non-millitary spending. Those massive farmers' subsidies would be spent mainly in red states.
Remember that Republicans have been in control the House of Representatives for many years, and all federal spending bills must originate in the House. So anyone with complaints about Federal spending knows where to address their petitions. Democrats don't even get invited to meetings anymore.

The disproporationate amount of federal money going to Red states is no accident.

EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EmptyMan »

classicalclarinet wrote:But don't forget. It's fall and the NE would be all red. ;)
You just gave me an idea. We will get all the snowbirds, people who migrate north during winter, to register to vote in the blue counties up north.

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

EmptyMan wrote:Nice. It's a red country all-right. Too bad these big cities can almost control the whole country.
The Republicans (that's the Red guys) control the House of Representatives, the Senate, the White House and the Supreme Court, too.

In fact the Senate is specifically designed to give less-populous states more votes.

EmptyMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EmptyMan »

Democritus wrote:
The Republicans (that's the Red guys) control the House of Representatives, the Senate, the White House and the Supreme Court, too.

In fact the Senate is specifically designed to give less-populous states more votes.
The Republicans don't contoll anything yet, the Dems can filabuster anytime they want. And, btw, I said almost contol the country. Thank goodness.

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Re: I have an idea: Why don't the Blue states join Canada?

Post by Democritus »

PeterD wrote:Canada, in turn, will have acces to a warm year-round climate (i.e.,California -- Hi, Jeff!), an educated, liberal populace, and many other goodies which fail to come to mind ....
Could you please just take Arnold Schwarzenegger?

We can leave everything else as-is.

Thank you.

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Post by Democritus »

EmptyMan wrote:The Republicans don't contoll anything yet, the Dems can filabuster anytime they want. And, btw, I said almost contol the country. Thank goodness.
There is no filibustering in the House of Representatives. And filibustering can only rarely used in the Senate. Most bills are passed by simple majority.

Remember all that talk about "personal responsibility" ? The GOP has the power, so they have the responsibilty. No more whining like victims. They have been in control for some time now, and this week that control has become stronger. Whatever happens now is the Republicans' fault. Get used to it.