Is there anyone here *not* in school, college, university

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
cicerosum
Textkit Neophyte

Is there anyone here *not* in school, college, university

Post by cicerosum »

what have you? I feel so ooooollllld. My knees, my hips, all my aching joints, my memory is fast becoming an illusion and I'm only 30 for chrissakes.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

34 here. Maybe I should colour my hair to hide the grey :). I'm working part time, taking care of the kids the rest of the time...and squeezing in Latin.

Ingrid

chrisb
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chrisb »

You should worry about being old and going grey! I'm 58, nearly bald never mind grey, and still enjoy reading both Latin and Greek. Not that my age makes me an expert in any way. I still feel very much a learner.

chrisb

elisa
Textkit Neophyte

Cicerosum, you're still so YOUNG

Post by elisa »

I'm almost ten years older than you. Time sure goes by! And as for the college question, all my language study has been on my own at home.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

47...and spry...ish. :D

Working full time, lots of animals, and this surprising "crush" on Latin again. ;)

- tim

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

I feel like a youngun here....I'm only 32. Work full time, currently taking a quarter off of school so I can regain some sanity and be a husband! I have been in school for the last 6 years. 4 years Greek, 2 Years Hebrew.....thank God my language requirements are DONE!

Yes, I have grey hair, but my wife thinks it's $exy :lol:

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Grey hair does not necessarily translate into oldidity for example Fabrizio Ravanelli champions' league winner with Juventus and former italy international had almost all grey hair at like 20. It depends ich suppose.

Rhuiden
Textkit Fan

Post by Rhuiden »

I will be 36 at the end of next month. My only previous language experience was 2 years of German in high school. I don't remember much now. I got interested in Latin this past spring as we were considering what language to start our homeschooled daughter with. She is in 2nd grade. I remember when I thought people my age were OLD!!! Somehow, I have a different perspective now...imagine that.

Rhuiden

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

If you have aching joints just take cod liver oil capsules. And eat an apple a day.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

And for you, would you like a red or yellow lollipop?

;)

cicerosum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cicerosum »

Ugh, apples. I'll take my aching joints thank you very much.

Actually I was indulging in that new thing called sarcasm. My joints are holding up quite nicely, although my hips truly are trying to replace themselves after giving birth 5 months ago.

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy »

cicerosum wrote:Ugh, apples. I'll take my aching joints thank you very much.
sigh. And after a while, apples become applesauce. deep sigh.
cicerosum wrote: My joints are holding up quite nicely, although my hips truly are trying to replace themselves after giving birth 5 months ago.
Ouch! It hurts to read that.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I'm 26 and finished college 4 years ago so I am not a student... there are actually quite a lot of us here.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

35, graduated, um, a while ago.

But I work at a University, which happens to mean I get access to the wonderful library system without a yearly fee (all WI citizens are allowed access, but there's a fee if you're not attending the school or an employee).
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

41. Not in school but would jump at an opportunity to go.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Qué? Apples are the best! I swear, every one around me is ill with terrible british colds and flua and stuff (flu declines like genu) whereas I somehow resist it. I attribute it to 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' unless you slightly dislocate your shoulder doing weights.

classicalclarinet
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by classicalclarinet »

I like apples too. :)

(shouldn't flu be be a first decl noun "influenza -ae" ?)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I just felt like declining another noun in the lacking 4th declension neuter whether it exist in latin or not 8)

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Is there anyone here *not* in school, college, universit

Post by mariek »

35 here... definitely feels a lot different from 25! lol. Haven't gone to school in a long long time, wouldn't mind going back to take some "fun" courses. About to join the unemployed (my choice), today is my last day at work ... looking forward to sleeping in on Monday. :)

Anna Coluthon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Anna Coluthon »

I am antediluvian :D

Which is, of course, all to the good in Classics :lol:

Don't worry, young-uns, you too shall antiquate! 8)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I think the young are actually outnumbered here, at least in the regulars. :? (mihi succurre episcope et aliquo iuuenes effugamus)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Decet O Steven v uti. quam stultum iuuenes!

atriades
Textkit Neophyte

Hello

Post by atriades »

I am new here. I am 32 and teaching in a school in England. I would tell you about my Classical blog but I'm not allowed till I hit ten posts, I don't think.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I am supposed to be in school. There has been school for like 5 weeks. I have been 5 days. Which is good enough.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Episcopus wrote:I am supposed to be in school. There has been school for like 5 weeks. I have been 5 days. Which is good enough.
So, are you a juvenile delinquent, or have you just contracted a terrible illness?

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I would say both, for I am actually ill this week. Better now almost, I was wrecked last week. Hurting my shoulders with weights does not help though, I am sure I slightly dislocated my right one a couple of weeks ago. I could hear the horrid click.
But the benefit of no school is time to learn other more important things and also think, I realise today that next week I shall start inventing the greatest language ever for I have deferred it too long now.
I kicked a potato pretty darn hard against a school door, so that should answer your question about the delinquente.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

How many potatoes litter the halls of your school Aradique?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Unfourtunately only 2 so far :( And only Zhi is allowed to call me that name for it is derogatory.

Do you know that next year my school is doing Latin and every one is being entered (206 pupils) for Latin advanced level?

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

I don't think a single act of potato-foolishness is enought to make you a rebel without a cause. If you were to kick it at a school window, however...

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I often think I had to apply for a teacher's position: Physics.
Did I mention I've majored in Physics Education? No I don't think I did. I like Physics but I was bad at exams. Got good grades at regular reports in which I could take my time, but timed exams! yuk. I just cannot think properly in haste.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Eureka wrote:I don't think a single act of potato-foolishness is enought to make you a rebel without a cause. If you were to kick it at a school window, however...
Indeed but I have done many foolish a thing in my time. And I did kick it at a school window, that was my intention :?: