anyone

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
incipio
Textkit Neophyte

anyone

Post by incipio »

anyone out there have interests outside the world of academics and ancient languages.
sports
hobbies
reading (other than academic)

i am on a sabbatical from school, and i thought learning latin would be a great way to keep the mind from getting stale. but i tend to get distracted rather easily. so i though i would distract everyone else!

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

No.

None of us do anything but read Latin and Greek.

The only exceptions are Epebepiscopus, who is building some sort of big-giant laser, and Austin Powers (a.k.a Benissimus), who's trying to locate his secret lair.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

hmm...Eureka, speaking of epiboulein, I quite like the look of Australia. I observe that you live there. Does the word tokson come to mind? :o
I do however like my augmented name. I think that should be textkit rankings instead of zealots ye get an augment. e.g. jejejejejejejebebebeouleukesanjeff

Then any new person would think us all to be crazy! If he do not know augments. Not that I know augments well. If I knew any Greek to write a story I would probably go crazy with augments. But you probably figured that out anyway. bebebebelelelelosernissimus

One does not wish to know Steven's er extracurricular activities.

Since you asked, though you will probably regret that you have, I like:

BRANDY (but not her new music it's terrible) her song 'Tomorrow' is the best. whiteoctave thinks so too. So you had better take his advice and get the 'Never Say Never' album!
and R&B that most geeks here would not know so I will not bother. I like rap, used to be crazy for it, but then they are not original nowadays, talk the same ooh ooh pack my gat ooh splat. In UK artists it's funny though.

I like soooo love aaron carter. My favourite blazin track be "Crazy Little Party Girl", no wait probably "Candy" ft. Lizzie Mcguire

I like children's Australian programmes set in lovely Australian locations. It lets me dream, if I were there. But the 'bush' scares me so I don't like reality programmes of survival. Or cooking programmes about kangaroos.

I do not read anything in English. I have never read any novels in my life apart from: LOTR, Harry Potter 1, The Secret Island by Enid Blyton (that book RULED so much better than LOTR it was about **** Peggy Mike Jack Nora and they were being mistreated by elders so found a little secret Island in a secret lake in the sunny english countryside. INSPIRED book it made me cry) That's about it. And I won't even try to read because it's not fun and I don't like what other writers have to say it just annoys me. But the secret island was not annoying.

I am currently reading Harry Potter in Latin which is very entertaining. I intend to read Ciceronis Epistvlae ad Brvtum I soon. Yes......................

I used to love football but played it so much that it became boring, plus scenery wherein to play round here is not pleasing, otherwise I would enjoy it. You know, in a nice field by a lake or something. In another country. I love badminton and played it too much this summer, hurt my hands. But it was fun.

I love press ups even though they hurt so much. My record is 130 but I haven't tried for a month to beat that because it hurts so bad, as Lauryn Hill would say. I do hence possess quite a defined corporal aspect shall we say.

It's not exactly a normal classics practise nowadays, nor unfourtunately has it ever been, so this counts as extra, I write crazy Latin stories so that I might be proud of myself. I have this summer, or rather within the past month, written the equivalent of Tacitus' work "Germania".

I like Sweden: swedish girls swedish trees swedish å swedish meatballs. But the people are always miserable to me. They always were annoyed by me, not the girls of course they loved me, but the adults, I wonder if I can win them over with my to exist swedish. Ich hoffe.

How coincidental is that, last night I had a dream of running around my own 'elementary' school with plasma gun. I haven't made it yet however. The dream was so vivid though.

I also wrote a book in English a few years ago, about 250 pages so far, but it was terrible, or at least terribly written and some terrible parts. I'm thinking of making into a film with A LOT of changes.

God I've written too much. [EDIT] As you might have observed if you actually read all that trash, the vast majority of my activities are NOT academic. I am not an academic person. I am terribly educated and very silly. I am dangerous with waterbombs especially. With my new strength I can throw them high and when they land it is disaster.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I have so many other things going on that I hardly have time for academics. :(

Two jobs (full time and half time)
Volunteer stuff
exercise--in summer it is tennis, rollerblading, etc. but in the winter just the gym (which I love)
people--family and friends always want attention!
right now, football games (ie, north american football, not soccer). Go Esks!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

That's interesting klewlis, it seems as though we are all the opposite of academics, bar a but a few, pretending to be academics with words like participle.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

my hobbies:

tae kwon do
painting
reading fantasy
going to the cinema
pool
chess

eh, all I can think of right now

edit: how could I forget the cafés! Hehehe, I often go to cafés too. And yes that is a hobby :-P.
Last edited by Emma_85 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Too many hobbies to list.....I am a man constantly picking up and trying to master new things (my wife says I'm rather obsessive....she's probably right)

I love to....

Flyfish
Tie my own flies
Play the Saxophone (over 20 years now)
Play the Bass (My 2nd most favorite instrument)
Read, read, read (lately I've been on a hard sci-fi kick...early Heinlein, Niven etc.)
Sing (mainly in church now and then)
Volunteer (At a recovery program at my church....where I got clean and sober)
Geocache (when I have the time)
Listen to Jazz (I like rock and punk too, but jazz is what all the serious cats play)
AND....I LOVE Baseball (we have a AAA team right across the river from Vancouver, I go all the time)

Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of
:lol:

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Bonsai.

Owning a house has turned me into a fanatical gardener, though this late in the season the fanaticism manifests mostly when I dash out the door to chase rabbits and squirrels away from my plants.

Reading. More reading. A lot of SF/fantasy, but also history and science for non-technical audiences.

Now that my knees are happy again, I've started back in on Xingyi and Bagua practice (very nasty Chinese martial arts).

Like Kopio, I'm always in danger of picking up a new interest or hobby. Right now I'm making a strong effort to reign that in so I can focus more on my core interests (namely, Greek and One Other Language To Be Determined).
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Kopio wrote:Read, read, read (lately I've been on a hard sci-fi kick...early Heinlein, Niven etc.)
If you haven't already, check out asimov and silverberg, who were always my favourites. they also wrote several books together which were awesome ("the ugly little boy" and "nightfall" are the two that come to mind).
AND....I LOVE Baseball (we have a AAA team right across the river from Vancouver, I go all the time)
we just lost our city team (canada's last) to dumb texas. it's unfortunate, since it was fun to have a baseball team to balance out the hockey and football.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Talking about winning I think I win the hobbies battle by content of post anyway. In reality I probably do not.

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Episcopus wrote:hmm...Eureka, speaking of epiboulein, I quite like the look of Australia. I observe that you live there. Does the word tokson come to mind? :o
Nope, mainly because: *click*

Which leads me to wonder, what are you talking about?
Episcopus wrote:I like children's Australian programmes set in lovely Australian locations. It lets me dream, if I were there. But the 'bush' scares me so I don't like reality programmes of survival. Or cooking programmes about kangaroos.
The bush isn’t anything to worry about; except, watch out for drop-bears (Koala will tell you about those).

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

I knit, read, and make up futures for myself. I do kenpo but I'm not sure if that's a legit. hobby since i only practice like 1-2 hours outside of class/week. Besides that I spend WAY too much time on the computer/with friends

cweb255
Textkit Fan

Post by cweb255 »

Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Korean, Coptic, Japanese, Chinese, Old English, Gothic, IndoEuropean in general, Sanskrit, Pali, Avesta, (am I forgetting anything?)

Linguistics, Physics, Geology, Law, Politics, Logic, Theology, Philosophy, Biology, Cosmology, Archaeology, Revolution, Economics, Rhetoric, History, Poetry, Literature, Music, Dance, Athletics.

Renaissance...

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

cweb225 calm it!

Why do you want to learn Pali? It's crazy and not cool! Because they lost the alphabet! :o

Eureka you know toksoths? Or am I off it here :?

Lupus minimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupus minimus »

Hobbies?

Outside of books, mainly partying, drinking and flirting. Cheesy movies at the cinema is always nice, too. And I alwyas wanted to learn how to climb glaciers, but considering I can't even sky and am affraid of heights, this does not seem like a good idea.

Any suggestions?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Lupus minimus wrote:Hobbies?

Outside of books, mainly partying, drinking and flirting. Cheesy movies at the cinema is always nice, too. And I alwyas wanted to learn how to climb glaciers, but considering I can't even sky and am affraid of heights, this does not seem like a good idea.

Any suggestions?
The glacier nearest to me is quite flat. They drive vehicles on it. You could try that one. ;)

http://www.canadianparks.com/alberta/jaspnp/index.htm

Lupus minimus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lupus minimus »

Ah, yes, Canada. Have not been back for six years now. Found out I don't even have the right to vote anymore. How are thinks going there?

jc[/quote]

Jefferson Cicero
Textkit Member

other activities

Post by Jefferson Cicero »

internet stuff in general-too much internet
political philosophy
firearms
cars
archaeology
egyptology
history
reading
music
gardening
writing
cussing whatever politician or talking head happens to be on TV
cussing stupid TV commercials
cussing stupid TV shows
avoiding TV most of the time

yeah, some of these are academic, but they are interesting anyway so they're hobbies.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Well, if anyone of you gardeners could come over here and do our garden, it's certainly not my hobby...I'd love to see a rabbit or squirrel around here, but all we've got is slugs and spiders.

Before I had kids, I read a lot, mainly English lit; played board games and fantasy role playing games; and read some more.
Nowadays, I still read a lot, mainly about fairies and rabbits; play with lego and wooden trains; and occasionally have some time for myself...and that time I mostly spend on Latin.

Ingrid

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Lupus minimus wrote:Ah, yes, Canada. Have not been back for six years now. Found out I don't even have the right to vote anymore. How are thinks going there?
well... Paul Martin is the PM and I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. The man has no ethics in business, so why would we trust him to run our country? The interesting part is that the liberals are a minority right now and ALL the other parties are working together on certain things... it's amusing because who ever thought we'd see the Bloc, NDP, and Conservatives working together? strange times...

other than that it's business as usual. Here in alberta we are struggling with a short, rainy farming season and the fact that the US borders are STILL closed to our beef (it is all political. they have no real reason for it). unemployment is down. our cities are growing. the eskimos are in second for the western conference, and the stamps are last (haha). toronto still sucks, as always (i mean the city, not their team, which is actually doing ok). everyone's freaking out because there may be no nhl hockey this year (yay!). tim hortons now has a maple dip donut, which is AWESOME. sean majumder is now on 22 minutes instead of rick mercer. the gov of saskatchewan is advertising in other provinces to get people to move there (comical). ralph klein refuses to fully participate in the federal-provincial discussions on health care...he'd rather spend his time at oil conferences (surprise, surprise).

that's all i can think of... it's the important stuff. ;) where in canada were you from?

Eureka
Textkit Zealot

Post by Eureka »

Episcopus wrote:Eureka you know toksoths? Or am I off it here :?
No, ich weiss nicht. :?

incipio
Textkit Neophyte

Post by incipio »

it strikes me that many people who enjoy learning new and challenging languages are actually humans of many talents.

the activity taking up most of my time now is cycling. i could easily spend up to two hours a day on my bike. now that we are entering fall in minnesotta it is a very enjoyable activity when i am not to busy causing myself pain by trying to ride too fast for my skinny legs.

i also like organized sports, baseball (although it is hard following my Giants out here in Minn.) football (in the pads) just because it is really big right now, and just about any other sport televised on espn.

i love music. i dont know of any GOOD music i dont enjoy. the one sadness in my life is i am not a gifted musician, or even just an average musician.

i am alos into british sitcoms. my wife and i enjoy watching The Thin Blue line. also Keeping Up Apearances and Are You Being Served.

i think about the fact that my interests are so spread out, as many other people here, and i wonder what i would be able to accomplish if i dedicated the majority of my time focusing on one subject. if i would spend six hours a day studying the bible in no time i could be an "Authority". think about it.

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

incipio wrote: i am alos into british sitcoms. my wife and i enjoy watching The Thin Blue line. also Keeping Up Apearances and Are You Being Served.
Roger that, incipio. Bristish sitcoms are the best. My favourite is Coronation Street. I love the old comedy sitcom Yes, Prime Minister, too.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

cicerosum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cicerosum »

Ah television, how I miss thy BritSits. We have not had it in many a year. But we do watch movies. More movies than most humans see in a lifetime I'm sure.

Running. Reading. Languages. Raising 3 miniature people to be decent, kind, critical thinkers. Plotting my way out of the U.S.

Fairly innocuous set of hobbies.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Outside of reading,

Starcraft, I used to play it overnight before I got married. It nearly ruined me. Now it is forbidden by my wife. She saved me.

web-surfing, looking for odd knowledges on physics, astronomy, biology, astrology, magic, (-- those old and wrong knowledges that dies hard), sometimes on marijuana, paintings, and anything that draws my interest.

paper modeling(don't invest many time but always one of my favorites)

practicing a tiny bit of pen calligraphy(not the oriental brush calligraphy)

Talking to and taking care of my baby when I'm home.

And Books:

Science, philosophy, a little bit of history, math puzzle, cartoons,

Languages that are on the queue:

Latin, French, Old English, Old Norse, German to be revisitied, Arabic, Japanese(advanced), Sanskrit, Akkadian, Coptic, Ugarithic, (Gaelic and Sumerian is on the wish list but I couldn't get a material yet), etc. I don't believe I could start anything for I cannot invest much time even in Ancient Greek.

Now the picture shows that I don't have a hobby that helps keeping me fit. :(

clavicula_magica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by clavicula_magica »

You really know all these?? That's an impressive list....
cweb255 wrote:Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, Korean, Coptic, Japanese, Chinese, Old English, Gothic, IndoEuropean in general, Sanskrit, Pali, Avesta, (am I forgetting anything?)
I'll throw in some Spanish and French along with the bold languages and now I can try to write something:

Vous, min pengyou, shi un polyglot no c'est pas? Ego qu nian estudie Chino keshi shenme todo forgot le. Reminds mec de le livre by Umberto Eco, "El Mingzi De La Rosa," cuando se character Salvatore mezcla all tade languages y nadie neng understand eum. Tu hui bu can dong? Even pour ic est difficil kan!

N.B. Mi Chinese est escrito in Hanyu pinyin. Non hay "thorn" letras in mi scriptura.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Isn't my friends wo de pengou why do you use qu to express future when it can be rendered by and adverb plus the present. Then again I suck at chinese. :cry:

rimon-jad
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rimon-jad »

Me studying English, Deutsch, Czech, Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Coptic and Akkadian. I intend to study also Old English.
Other hobbies:
Ko-Budo
Karate
Sk8board
Drugs
Sex
Alcohol
Music
Philosophy
Literature
:P

Michaelyus
Textkit Fan

Post by Michaelyus »

Episcopus wrote:Isn't my friends wo de pengou why do you use qu to express future when it can be rendered by and adverb plus the present. Then again I suck at chinese. :cry:
clavicula_magica wrote:Vous, min pengyou, shi un polyglot no c'est pas? Ego qu nian estudie Chino keshi shenme todo forgot le. Reminds mec de le livre by Umberto Eco, "El Mingzi De La Rosa," cuando se character Salvatore mezcla all tade languages y nadie neng understand eum. Tu hui bu can dong? Even pour ic est difficil kan!
Wo huangyin nin, keshi wo zheneng de dong yidian (haiyou zhe pinyin meiyou yuqi haoma).

I think that min is an obsolete term, while wo de is more common nowadays.
Qu nian means "last year" or "year before last".

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Not that I at all know any chinese, but Michael, credit to you you've actually learned it :o Well done mate! Can you write also?

clavicula_magica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by clavicula_magica »

Michaelyus wrote:
Episcopus wrote:Isn't my friends wo de pengou why do you use qu to express future when it can be rendered by and adverb plus the present. Then again I suck at chinese. :cry:
clavicula_magica wrote:Vous, min pengyou, shi un polyglot no c'est pas? Ego qu nian estudie Chino keshi shenme todo forgot le. Reminds mec de le livre by Umberto Eco, "El Mingzi De La Rosa," cuando se character Salvatore mezcla all tade languages y nadie neng understand eum. Tu hui bu can dong? Even pour ic est difficil kan!
Wo huangyin nin, keshi wo zheneng de dong yidian (haiyou zhe pinyin meiyou yuqi haoma).

I think that min is an obsolete term, while wo de is more common nowadays.
Qu nian means "last year" or "year before last".
Min is Old English for my, but yes I could have used wode. Qu nian is last year so that is correct. Of course if you figured it out and it's written correctly, you'll see that shenme todo forgot le means I forgot all of it. I think my ic should be changed to me since that is the dative case. :( Oh well, it's difficult knowing English yet alone five languages two of which are not even spoken.

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

Kopio wrote:Geocache (when I have the time)
Geocache?? You geocache?? Man, I did not expect to discover another geocacher here!

So, uh.....

When I'm not moving around and playing with (mostly) Latin, my hobbies are....

Playing (mediocre) piano (mostly for church)
Doing lots of various embroidery types
Geocaching (surprise!)
Reading mysteries, fantasy and geology books
Astronomy (19 Messier objects and counting....)
Hiking
Sea kayaking
Playing with the electrical system in my house. (Does anyone have a tall electrician with a ladder that works on stairways kicking around? Or just the ladder would be good - I can handle the electrical part myself, if I could just REACH the outlet.......)

Kilmeny

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

mingshey wrote:Outside of reading,

Starcraft, I used to play it overnight before I got married. It nearly ruined me. Now it is forbidden by my wife. She saved me.
Korea is so awesome :D
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae