Thought I would say hello...

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
PastorJeff
Textkit Neophyte

Thought I would say hello...

Post by PastorJeff »

Hello everyone, my name is Jeffrey and I was given this addy from a friend of mine that I know through a Bonsai club in Wisconsin (I live justt across the southern border in Illinois). I have been lurking for a few days and really like the conversation that takes place here! What a refreshing change!

Yes, I really am a Pastor...but I work with youth rather than adults (one reason that this board is so refreshing! Adult conversations!).

I need to get a phrase translated into Latin for the youth here at the church and my friend gave me the info for this site. The interesting thing is that I am going to be starting my Masters in the fall of 2005 and the Sr. Pastor wants me to go for my M. Div. but I have been hesitant due to my fear of Greek.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello. I am definately a newbie to the world of Greek. My Greek is limited, so please bear with my ignorant questions.

Glad to have found you all!

Jeffrey

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Welcome, Pastor Jeff :)
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Barrius
Textkit Member

Post by Barrius »

Salve Jeffrey! Welcome, pull up a cyber-chair and set a spell.

If you know ANY Greek you're ahead of me. I'm here to make newbies look like geniuses!

Congratulations on starting your Master of Divinity, and for having the patience to work with youth :lol:

mariek
Global Moderator

Re: Thought I would say hello...

Post by mariek »

Welcome to Textkit Pastor Jeff! I'm glad to hear you have enjoyed the forums here. I just wanted to point out that you will find lots of Greek books to download here. Take a look at the Greek Grammars (http://www.textkit.com/greek_grammar.php) and Readers (http://www.textkit.com/greek-readers.php). Also, there are a few Greek forums on the site, and you can ask questions there.

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris »

Welcome to the forums, Pastor Jeff! Good luck to you in your studies!

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Hi Jeffrey and welcome to Textkit!
Bonsai club
... you're not the only one here who cripples trees :wink: . Could this be the same bonsai club Will's a member of and could he be the one who gave you the link? :lol:

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Bless me Pastor for I have (really) sinned
She had hazel green eyes and lovely skin
Bless me Pastor for I'm a seductive Greek
Oh Pastor, if you only knew where I've been

χαῖρε, Pastor Jeff! :)

PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

PastorJeff
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PastorJeff »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Again, that is what makes this such a great place...people feel welcome. I do really appreciate it!
mariek wrote:
Welcome to Textkit Pastor Jeff! I'm glad to hear you have enjoyed the forums here. I just wanted to point out that you will find lots of Greek books to download here. Take a look at the Greek Grammars (http://www.textkit.com/greek_grammar.php) and Readers (http://www.textkit.com/greek-readers.php). Also, there are a few Greek forums on the site, and you can ask questions there.
Thanks for the links...I have already signed up for the newsletter, and have downloaded and copied (and put in a binder...and started highlighting) "A Brief Introduction to New Testament Greek by Samuel G. Green" The good part about being a pastor is that it is o.k. for me to study this stuff at work for hours at a time! So it should be fun! There is alot of stuff to download and read.

I guess I am stumped at how they can do this with no charge to the users?!? I am definatley going to have to send in some $$$ to help support the site. There is so much here to use...
... you're not the only one here who cripples trees . Could this be the same bonsai club Will's a member of and could he be the one who gave you the link?
Emma - yep...that might be the one :D We were talking and he directed me to this site. Glad that he did, for I will have somewhere to go for some help when the Greek classes begin!
Bless me Pastor for I have (really) sinned
She had hazel green eyes and lovely skin
Bless me Pastor for I'm a seductive Greek
Oh Pastor, if you only knew where I've been
PeterD -

Know my friend, that the blessing is yours
For we all know the Golden Rule...
But that which takes place behind closed doors,
seperates wise men and those known as fools.

(I also love poetry...I am a weird sort! Good to meet you PeterD...your o.k. in my book :) )

Thanks everyone! I look forward to getting to know you all better as time goes on!

Jeffrey

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

Xairein Jeff,

I am a NT Greek Major/Hebrew Minor, and I would love to give you suggestions/help, feel free to PM me, or Post in the Koine Forum if you have any questions. If your focus is soley NT Greek, I can probably give you quite a few pointers. Also, the text I learned from is an excellent text that not too many people know about.....it is by Lyle Story (a wonderful fellow who teaches at Regent up in Canada) and it is called Greek to Me. IMHO it is the BEST NT Textbook to learn from.

Enough for now....don't be afraid of Greek, the insight you will have with the text far outweighs the sacrifice of haveing to learn it!

XARIS KAI EIRHNH SOI!

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

PastorJeff wrote:(I also love poetry...I am a weird sort! Good to meet you PeterD...your o.k. in my book :) )
The feeling is mutual. I look forward to your posts.

Take care.

PeterD
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Welcome Jeff to Textkit, enjoy your time here!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Emma_85 wrote:
Bonsai club
... you're not the only one here who cripples trees
A-hem!

We shape trees.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

*makes a note in her note book*
  • note no. 234) the swedish for hedgehog is Igelkotte, a red one is a commikotte
  • note no. 235) buy more [s]orange juice[/s] coke
  • note no. 236) Bonsais are shaped

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

annis wrote:
Emma_85 wrote:
Bonsai club
A-hem!

We shape trees.
lol. :lol: I wonder what opinion the trees would have on this...

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Welcome, PastorJeff!

Now we have two Jeffs here (the webmaster, small jeff and a big, Pastor Jeff). :lol: Um, sorry. Time to have some coffee and get my mind back-- or drink the element of mind up from it.
annis wrote:
Emma_85 wrote:
Bonsai club
A-hem!

We shape trees.

I must have been missing a good portion of discussions on the forum. :? :roll: I looked it up and I see it's that bonsai(sounds bunjae in Korean)

Koine(NT Greek) is a bonsai Greek. Small, crippled(or "shaped") Greek adapted to be used throughout the empire of Alexander the Great, among the common people who learned Greek as their second language. So, as a humble foreigner I should be learning Koine, but alas it is anyway a fossil language, too. So, I rather began (again) with the Ancient Greek. We have a small portion of the woods left for the study, anyway. But a small, crippled(or shaped) tree in a pot is too small as a resource. I conjecture that if you are to be good at bonsai, you'll have to understand what real tree is. And, IMHO, in the woods is a better place to learn about trees than in the pots. Even if your interest is in the NT language, the study of ancient Greek, I would say, will shed much light on the NT Greek.

Enjoy yourself here!

Mongoose42
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mongoose42 »

Greetings
It's nice to see more poeple from the midwest in the forum.
Also, much respect to you for working with youths.
I hope you will spends some time in the Latin section and not just the Greek.

PastorJeff
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PastorJeff »

Thanks for such a warm welcome. This is truly a top notch board. I have passed this link on to one of my youth leaders who has studied Greek and Hebrew for some time.

NOTHING more cool than watching her bust out the Old Testament in Hebrew and start reading it. She could be reading "Mary had a little lamb" for all I would know...but it is still cool!

Thanks again everyone!

Jeffrey

Geoff
Textkit Fan

Post by Geoff »

Mingshey said,
Now we have two Jeffs here (the webmaster, small jeff and a big, Pastor Jeff)
Don't forget Geoff spelled correctly. 8)