Is America Going Cuckoo?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Is America Going Cuckoo?

Post by PeterD »

Aha, my suspicions have been confirmed. :)

A study, just published in the Journal of the American Medical Association by researchers from the World Health Organization and Harvard Medical School, indicates that there is more mental illness and insanity in the land of 'freedom fries' than other developed countries.

For example, about 26% of Americans were judged to be mentally disturbed, versus only 4% of people in Shanghai and 8% in Italy.

O sweet, beautiful Aphrodite, the free world is being led by a nation where at least 1/4 of its people are BATTY! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I guess it would explain characters like Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz and, my favorite, the Top Chimp: George W. Bush.

When GWB was quoted as saying,

"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product we can find in our neighborhoods,"

...I wondered in what kind of neighborhood he lived in.

Now, I know: the loony ward at Bellevue Mental Hospital!

Peter

P.S. See what happens when Greek and Latin are lost from American College life?! We Canadians are not far behind.

P.P.S. Three Hurrahs for textkit and the people behind it:HURRAH! HURRAH! HURRAH!
Last edited by PeterD on Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

LOL :D :D :D

thanks for a good laugh,
jeff
Textkit Founder

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 »

The US is going crazy in many many ways.

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

threewood14 wrote:The US is going crazy in many many ways.
I've seen it first hand, LOL! I am an American, and to tell you the truth I hate how we go about doing things, especially in other countries.

The last office job I had, I was constantly battling it out with my boss because she brought rabbits into the office. The smell could have killed a herd of elephants! It didn't seem to bother her -- she is lazy, too, meaning she didn't take care of keeping them clean. Insane or what?

She has a trailer trash mouth on her, also. Kept calling me an a??h?le and a motherf?ck?r when we got into discussions as to how messed-up American policy abroad and at home is. She couldn't take me any other way. LOL!

There were times she wanted to hang me form the nearest pole. It's sad when we Americans just can't see how our arrogance has caused so much trouble abroad. We pay for it with huge city property taxes (which keep going up), state and federal taxes. The democrats are going to win big (here come the federal taxes again, bigger than before thanks to GWB's insanity).

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I'm not american I must be missing something. Perhaps insanity judging by those figures.

Asif we don't know what "motherf?ck?r" is. Asif Sayid those little omissions make any difference. :evil:

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Define "mentally disturbed".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

Episcopus wrote:Asif we don't know what "motherf?ck?r" is. Asif Sayid those little omissions make any difference. :evil:
OK, next time I will use MOFO for that one. How old are you again? Every time I see you interject into a thread your stirring up something.

Ease up on the caffeine, if you drink any, if not breath in and out... in and out, collect yourself, if that still doesn't work, stay out of the thread.
Last edited by NelsonN on Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I drink fruit juice 12 Fruit Nectar by Solevita
Last edited by Episcopus on Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Re: Is America Going Cuckoo?

Post by Democritus »

PeterD wrote:O sweet, beautiful Aphrodite, the free world is being led by a nation where at least 1/4 of its people are BATTY!
I recall an old saying, "You can't believe everything you read." Remember, 85% of all statistics are made up. :)

My interpretation of this factoid: For whatever reason, Americans may be more willing to identify themselves as mentally ill, or at least fess up to certain specific personal woes, than people in certain other countries. The A.P. story specifically mentioned "anxiety disorders and depression." Once upon a time, sad and shy people were not considered crazy.

You can find plenty of evidence to back up practically any stereotype, as long as you look for only that, and ignore all the contrary evidence. Travel to any country in the world, and if you only look for evidence that the inhabitants are crazy/lazy/stupid/dirty, then that's all you will see.

I'm not sure what these survey results mean, but I would hesitate to trot them out as evidence for a generalization about the mental health of Americans.

If you want to demonstrate that Americans are crazy, then a better piece of evidence would be the U.S. Federal budget deficit. Ha ha. :)

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

Episcopus wrote:Is any one really collected? I doubt you be, or at least enough so to have the right to judge whether some one else might not be so.
Well, if this isn't a case of "the pot calling the kettle black".

Why do you think I am even banding words with you an no one else? Grow up.

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy »

Democritus said the words lost in my insides! Thank you!
The "rate" for Shanghai is not surprising to me since the traditional Asian mentality: focusing on yourself as a part of a group, whereas the American mentality: on yourself as an individual. So we're more prone to: "nobody likes me! oh oh! angst"

my original reply, just to make everyone love Democritus: "What! Of course we can be insane if we want! We're free!" :roll:

blue
Textkit Neophyte

Post by blue »

^ i've gotta agree with democritus too

i think it's also got to do with americans trying to write off their problems as being the result of some obscure mental illness. if someone has a bit of a problem controlling their temper, for example, they might get called bipolar, rather than an asshole. if you have a mental illness, your problems aren't your fault anymore, it's just how you are, so why bother being responsible for your actions. you know, that sort of thing.

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Democritus wrote:...Americans may be willing to identify themselves as mentally ill...
Amy wrote:Democritus said the word lost in my insides! Thank you.
blue wrote:^ i've gotta agree with democritus too.
Democritus, you have the attention of the ladies tonight. I am jealous. :wink:

Yes, you make a valid point: Americans may be more forthcoming of their mental shortcomings.

However, I also believe that American pharmaceutical companies also play a role: they bombard Americans with countless advertisements telling them they are ill. What do you think happens next? Americans demand thier Paxil , Prozac or whatever these serotonin drugs are called!

The new THING the pharmaceuticals are pushing nowadays are MALE ENHANCEMENT pills if you know what I mean. No kidding. I saw them ads on CNN last night. For a moment, I thought I was watching the Playboy channel (I watch it for the commentaries, of course).
benissimus wrote:Define "mentally disturbed."
Benissimus, would you like a straight definition or one that would make us all blush? :)

Peter
Fanatical ranting is not just fine because it's eloquent. What if I ranted for the extermination of a people in an eloquent manner, would that make it fine? Rather, ranting, be it fanatical or otherwise, is fine if what is said is true and just. ---PeterD, in reply to IreneY and Annis

threewood14
Textkit Fan

Post by threewood14 »

I've seen it first hand, LOL! I am an American, and to tell you the truth I hate how we go about doing things, especially in other countries.
Yeah so am I. Southie? Yeah!

Mongoose42
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mongoose42 »

PeterD wrote: I guess it would explain characters like Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz and, my favorite, the Top Chimp: George W. Bush.
I find it interesting that you choose to repeatedly use an intellectual forum to attack a public based on personal beliefs and not on tested facts.
Perhaps you are merely obsessive compulsive. :wink:

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

blue wrote:i think it's also got to do with americans trying to write off their problems as being the result of some obscure mental illness. if someone has a bit of a problem controlling their temper, for example, they might get called bipolar,
The DSM seems to have done a good job of pathologizing about any behavior you care to mention. Perhaps we're next.

One sociologist I know of feels this habit of distancing oneself from responsibility for one's own mental state accounts for the huge popularity of exorcism among some of America's more lively varieties of protestantism.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

:lol: this post made me laugh!
My interpretation of this factoid: For whatever reason, Americans may be more willing to identify themselves as mentally ill, or at least fess up to certain specific personal woes, than people in certain other countries. The A.P. story specifically mentioned "anxiety disorders and depression." Once upon a time, sad and shy people were not considered crazy.
Hehehe, that would make the rest of the American people menally ill then. For a people, who consider sad and shy people to be crazy, is uhh... crazy.

:? Why am I laughing now? I'm crazy myself... I must stick up for the other crazy people out there... :wink:

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

I find it interesting that you choose to repeatedly use an intellectual forum to attack a public based on personal beliefs and not on tested facts.
Perhaps you are merely obsessive compulsive.
Except that it's pretty much a fact that Bush is a madman, who hears voices... :roll:

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Hi,

You didn't think I was going to let you have the last word, did you, Mongoose42? :)
Mongoose42 wrote:I find it interesting that you choose to repeatedly use an intellectual forum to attack a public based on personal beliefs and not on tested facts.
First, the Open Board, in addition to member introductions, etc., may be also used to "chat about off-topic issues." (Please read Sticky: Rules 1.2) Moreover, while one of my passions is the study of Greek, I also have a passion for (American) politics. Greek and politics: like sugar and spice. If your fancy is to talk about popsicle flavors, feel free -- mine, occasionally is politics.

Second, which public am I attacking on personal beliefs? I simply recapitulated what the AMERICAN Journal of Medicine stated. If You Have Any Beef, take umbrage with them not me. And, if I used that news story to poke some fun at supreme-court appointed public officials who have no shame, where is the harm? Pray tell, is this war going well for you?

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies wilth it."
Edward R. Murrow

"I love America more than any other country in this world, and, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually."
James Baldwin
Mongoose42 wrote:Perhaps you are merely obsessive compulsive. :wink:
Yes, I am obsessively compulsed with the study of Greek, math and, of course, lovely women.

Have a nice weekend.

Sincerely,

Peter

P.S. Patriot, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to those of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerers.

--from The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

PeterD wrote: and, of course, lovely women.
lol. let's see... montreal... you must have some french blood in you. ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

klewlis wrote:lol. let's see... montreal... you must have some french blood in you. ;)
Salut, ma jolie Klewlis!

Français? Diable non! Je suis Grec.

Cordialement,

πῆτερ

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Emma_85 wrote:Except that it's pretty much a fact that Bush is a madman, who hears voices... :roll:
How right you are, Emma_85.

There is this sensational account by Doug Thompson, the publisher of Capitol Hill Blue, of a buzzed George W. Bush. If the schlep were not the president, it would be funny. But, alas, he is!!!

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/p ... 4636.shtml

(Please excuse me if the link does not work.)

Take care.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Well, I'm referring to his own speeches actually. You see there's no need to read anything else, all his 'madness' is in his speeches. Just read this one for example:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 209-1.html

No wonder people in the Arab world feel he’s fighting a religious war :x . You know, I just think it would be good if they aired this speech again on TV for example. If I were a democratic candidate in the US that is exactly what I would do. I wouldn't hold another speech saying how mad Bush is, what I'd do is show the people. Just let them hear what he had to say back then and people know what's true now so they might realise what’s been going on if they haven’t realised that already...

Anyway, Bush must be bottom of all the opinion polls in the US, there’s no way he can win the election, is there? :?

NelsonN
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NelsonN »

PeterD wrote:For example, about 26% of Americans were judged to be mentally disturbed, versus only 4% of people in Shanghai and 8% in Italy.
Check out what my fellow American citizens have been up-to lately.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/152590-5572-010.html

Bystander stops attack that killed a child (1-year-old girl) at a mall
We can't get enough of of these.

Seawolf-class submarine is named for Carter
Apparently, submarines are an instrument of peace, which is why we named this one after a Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

Pair accused of faking threat to delay flight
Are you going to miss your flight? Don't sweat, call in a bomb threat, and hold your flight until you get there. LOL!

copain
Textkit Neophyte

Post by copain »

• The greates threat America is facing today is his president and all the falcons in his goverment who believe in a "pax americana" an the use of military force is the right way to react of all the dangers their country is confronted with !
    Sadly but true that Mr. Bush is the wrong man at the wrong place to the wrong time.
    We all can hope that with the next election Mr. Bush as president has become part of history and America - which is still a potent power both economically and military - goes a more rational way in dealing with all the problems it is confronted with !

Kopio
Global Moderator

Post by Kopio »

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:

It just occured to me that I am in the very SMALL minority, politically speaking, on this board!

It is nice to hear that Liberals can be just as venomous as Conservatives!

Not that I agree with the Limbaughs, and Savages out there....actually I despise them.....it's nice to see some bipartisan bullheadedness though :wink:

Mongoose42
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mongoose42 »

PeterD wrote: First, the Open Board, in addition to member introductions, etc., may be also used to "chat about off-topic issues."

Second, which public am I attacking on personal beliefs?
Point taken. I have no problem with the expression of political views in the open forum. I am also an avid student of American Government and I also feel very strongly about my views about the government.

The original post should have read "public leader" :oops:

It is your right to voice your opinion against the current President and it is my right to disagree. 9/11 and other terrorist attacks against the US came before the onset of war of any kind. In a new era of military tactics that rely on small groups of people that suicide themselves to take out a larger group of opponents, the only way to protect the military supperiority of the US was to limit and reduce the effective power of the terrorist networks. Eventually the US would have been attacked no matter how many Democrats got elected, and the effects would have only gotten worse with time.

Kopio: don't worry, you are among a larger group than you might think. There is still a very good chance that Bush will win re-election. He has yet to lose his fundamental support.

P.S. the reason I phrased the last post the way I did was to imply a mental disorder (in an ironic twist) in the thought process of Peter as a joke and nothing more :twisted:

PeterD
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by PeterD »

Mongoose42 wrote:It is your right to voice your opinion against the current President and it is my right to disagree.
I agree. In a democracy dissenting voices are welcomed.
Mongoose42 wrote:There is still a very good chance that Bush will win re-election.
So far, the polls show a tight race. If anyone deserved the title 'the teflon president,' it's GWB.
Mongoose42 wrote:P.S. the reason I phrased the last post the way I did was to imply a mental disorder (in an ironic twist) in the thought process of Peter as a joke and nothing more :twisted:
No offense taken. I thought it was rather witty. Plus, I like a man who talks freely (and women too, but in a more cuddly manner :wink: ).

Look forward to our next political chat.

Take care.

PeterD

P.S. If you think I am tough on GWB, wait until you see what I have to say about RR's legacy. Remember the "ketchup is a vegetable" line? :)

xon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by xon »

I didn't know everyone here loves taxes so much!
GWB's polls dropped the steepest after the media's stories on how the war has gone "bad", not because of the economy. And I do not believe that the war will have as much bearing on the election as the economy. For Kerry to promise "rolling back" the Tax cut is a mistake. And his plans on Iraq? Virtually the same as GWB's.