Test Textkit's Latest Site Feature - Vocabulary Tool

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:28 am

Geoff wrote:Ooooooo, I like the Quiz Idea, very nice.

Perhaps you could post our results online so others could laugh and point.
I was thinking of this very idea - a wall of shame :-) Rewards could be a star or something beneath the avatar - just like in grade school.

I need to have a nice mode and a mean mode. In the mean mode, you get ridiculed for wrong answers and poor performance.

more to come..

jeff
Textkit Founder

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:59 am

I need to have a nice mode and a mean mode. In the mean mode, you get ridiculed for wrong answers and poor performance.
LOL I like this idea very much...as long as I could fluctuate between the nice mode and the mean mode...gotta keep some ego left in me. ;)

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Textkit Vocabulary WITH Quizzes

Post by Jeff Tirey » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:06 pm

Hi everyone,

thanks for testing the script thus far I hope you find it interesting.

I now have a basic quizzing feature in place. If you're interested in taking the quiz, you'll need to either cancel your mailing by using the update link in the email message and then re-enrolling

OR

PM or reply here and i'll update your subscription in the datatbase.

The quiz feature is still basic, but it's working. It logs all quiz responses, so down the road I can create some report card pages.

If you are interested in the quiz note this: quizzes will be mailed out at the same frequency as your mailings.

So if you choose 20 words every seven days, you'll get just the 20 words the first week, and starting with week 2 you'll get 20 new words plus a link to take a quiz.

try it out..

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Error

Post by Jeff Tirey » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:00 pm

For anyone testing the quiz feature, I discovered an error. When you follow the link from your quiz email to Textkit to take the quiz, you'll have to refresh the page. This is because the select statements are not in the right order. I'll get that fixed shortly,

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:58 am

I think i got the quizzing bug fixed, so that now when you follow the link from the email to your quiz, the quiz will load right away without the need to refresh. I'll be honest, the quiz isn't all that smart. All it does is randomly take words from your list as possible choice. In time, I need to make the quiz a bit more complex such as pulling words from past lessons.

All responses are logged but I have not yet found the time to create reports.

I'm about ready to add this tool the the menu and get it rolling on a larger scale. Additional features will have to wait a bit longer.

Also, about Greek Vocab. If anyone is intererested in being an editor, please PM me and I'll create an account for you. I'll have the Greek vocab support in place shortly.

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:03 pm

one last thing: I'm doing Useful Latin Words & Phrases (haha, yes, laugh all you want) and when you "view the entire list" only 30 out of 113 words are shown - why is this? thanks!
phpbb

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:41 pm

Hi Amy, can you cut and past that email message in Textkit's Contact form so that I can have a look at that. Probably have a query wrong somewhere.

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:12 am

Hi Amy,

All fixed now - thanks for catching that!

jeff
Textkit Founder

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:15 pm

Jeff, just a thought, are you planning to advertize this feature on the main site page? It sounds like it might be ready for prime time.

- Tim

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:37 pm

Hi Tim,

Yeap, just did! It's now an official content area of Textkit now. The tool will still grow and develop, but it's at least to a point where it's working well and hopefully learners will find it useful.

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

Timothy
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothy » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:12 pm

I see. Very nice. Soon you will need more real estate. :wink:

- tim

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:18 pm

Timothy wrote:I see. Very nice. Soon you will need more real estate. :wink:

- tim
I know, i'm out of room in the main menu.

Also, I added in the feature where you can view all incorrectly answered words from vocabulary quizzes.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:28 pm

Jeff,

I received my last vocab list for "useful Latin words & phrases" but it states that my list is 108 words whereas the website states 140. Is this a typo or will I be receiving more email?

Thanks!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:30 pm

I goofed on the last quiz mailing so you'll get today one quiz that doesn't work and one that's correct.

thanks,
jeff
Textkit Founder

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:53 pm

Both quiz links for the first quiz did not work for me :( I tried refreshing, but that didn't work either. However for the second quiz, it worked just fine. Strange.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:34 pm

eris wrote:Both quiz links for the first quiz did not work for me :( I tried refreshing, but that didn't work either. However for the second quiz, it worked just fine. Strange.

Hi Eris,
I saw that too, and I 'think' i fixed it. We'll see tomorrow :-)
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:01 pm

After I canceled a course, it still sent me the quiz the next day. Bug?

Also, it would be nice to have a place for editors to sign in without having to remember the URL.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:56 pm

benissimus wrote:After I canceled a course, it still sent me the quiz the next day. Bug?

Also, it would be nice to have a place for editors to sign in without having to remember the URL.
yes that's true. During the vocab mailing, the script looks to see if you have chosen quizzes and if you have, it'll create a record for the quiz mailing script for the next mailing. I can get that fixed.

I'll add a link to the editor sign-in to the site map.

jeff
Textkit Founder

Amaranta
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Amaranta » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:26 am

This is such a great idea. And it seems to be working fine except for one small thing...

Today I got my quiz on the previous mailing of five words, and I had one word (poculum) that I'd already been quizzed on, but the quiz omitted the last word that should have been on the quiz. (I hope that made sense). It was the Collar/Daniels list.

Other than that, though...thanks so much for this awesome feature! :)

Amy
Textkit Fan

Post by Amy » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:53 pm

hahaha, the banners are gold!!! :lol:
One other last thing though, on my quiz for diu, there were two "for a long time" options and I chose one and it said I was wrong...
phpbb

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:43 pm

Amaranta wrote:This is such a great idea. And it seems to be working fine except for one small thing...

Today I got my quiz on the previous mailing of five words, and I had one word (poculum) that I'd already been quizzed on, but the quiz omitted the last word that should have been on the quiz. (I hope that made sense). It was the Collar/Daniels list.

Other than that, though...thanks so much for this awesome feature! :)
That did make sense. I spotted that problem too which was caused when I updated the structure of the database. I think I fixed it.

jeff
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:50 pm

Amy wrote:hahaha, the banners are gold!!! :lol:
One other last thing though, on my quiz for diu, there were two "for a long time" options and I chose one and it said I was wrong...
I know. that stinks. The quiz options (due to lack of time) are really basic.

All it does is a simple random listing of any word. So there's the very likely chance that the same word can come up twice in the same question.

The solution is to write a smarter quiz which I want to do. But it'll take me some time becuase the database queries will be a real headache for me. I want NICE options where some are easy, some are challening. Base it on things like past words presented, similar spelled words, words from last time's quiz. things like that. Since each quiz option will be supplied by different criteria, I'll need a different query for each option. That's not the hard part, what will be hard for me is that each query will have to know the output of the others and be sure to prevent dups. Plus randomly displaying output.

jeff
Textkit Founder

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:58 pm

It is good to see that despite all the work Jeff has to put into making the vocabulary tool work, he has not lost his sense of humour.
The "Textkit Vocabulary Tool" header (or banner) is funny.
I wonder if Greek tastes as yucky as Latin?

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:57 am

Bert wrote:It is good to see that despite all the work Jeff has to put into making the vocabulary tool work, he has not lost his sense of humour.
The "Textkit Vocabulary Tool" header (or banner) is funny.
I wonder if Greek tastes as yucky as Latin?
Yeah, I'll have to keep in mind using the vocab tool when my daughter yells out (banging the floor) crying that she doesn't want to learn Greek and Latin.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:40 pm

I love the banner too. Can't say it looks boring! :-)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:15 pm

I just signed up for the Collar and Daniell mailing. The quiz sounds mean-maybe it will keep my on my toes as far as my studies go! :D Let us hope so, anyway.
phpbb

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:08 am

I just got my first word! (I've opted for one a day; why bite off more than I can chew?) I'm so excited, you would think it was the first I've ever said.

So far, so good....
phpbb

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:22 pm

Keesa wrote:I just got my first word! (I've opted for one a day;
You only have to get one word correct to get a 100% on your quize.
However, if you get only one word wrong....

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:49 pm

I took my first quiz today, and got it right-purely by luck! The word that the program quizzed me on wasn't one (the one, actually) that I had recieved before. As I said, I got it right...but what if it's a harder one tomorrow? :cry:
phpbb

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:41 pm

Jeff, I am having difficulty changing the vacation settings for the quiz. I've tried deleting the date that's listed, but nothing happens. When I click the "change" button, nothing happens either. I can get my cursor to be in the date box, but I can not type the new date. Hope this makes sense!

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:20 pm

Hi Eris,

yes, that makes sense.

you first have to click the 'click to change' button to get a pop-up calendar. use the calendar to select the date, then press the 'update course preferences' button.

jeff
Textkit Founder

eris
Textkit Member

Post by eris » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:34 pm

Thanks Jeff! Got it to work this time!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:37 pm

Would this be the proper forum for me to mention casually, just in passing, that I have a perfect score on my Latin vocabulary quiz? :wink:

A quick note, though-when I go to my "Incorrect Answers" page, it says "You are perfect. You have no incorrectly answered vocabulary words."

Now, I might agree that I'm perfect, but I'm sure my sister would disagree. :P
phpbb