romeo + juliet in latin

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mercutio
Textkit Neophyte

romeo + juliet in latin

Post by mercutio »

does anyone know or have a latin translation of romeo + juliet?
I'm directing the play at the moment & I would like a certain part of it to be in Latin.
Thanks for any help!

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

Hmm... I don't know of any existing translations - but which section are you hoping to have translated? You might be able to find someone here interested in doing the translation...

Anyway, good luck with the show! ;)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I don't know of one. You might be interested in the story of Pyramus and Thisbe, written by Ovid, which bares a striking resemblance to Romeo & Juliet and was actually the inspiration for it. The story is very different and it is quite brief, but the premise is the same and it is a very romantic and beautiful poem.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

mercutio
Textkit Neophyte

translating romeo + juliet

Post by mercutio »

It would be cool if someone here would be interested in translating a passage from the play into Latin for me. It's Act II, scene 1. Everything that Mercutio says. He's trying to conjure Romeo. This is usually done as a joke. But I want to make it more serious, make Mercutio darker.
I studied Latin years ago at university, but wouldn't trust myself to try it now.
So anyone interested?:)