Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
jagorev
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jagorev »

Hello. My name is Ron, I live in India, and I have recently finished high school. I will be going to college in the US in the fall. I know English, Hindi, Bengali, Indonesian, French, and some Thai. <br /><br />I've been reading classics in translation for some time now (specifically Homer, Vergil, Cicero, Caesar, and Aristotle's Ethics). Curious about the originals, I'll be doing at least a year or two of Latin in college, and I am using my summer to teach myself some of the basics of the language, perhaps getting a head start on my classes. Maybe I'll go on to Ancient Greek in a few years. <br /><br />Textkit is a great source for the grammars, and I look forward to discussions with other members.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Re:New member

Post by Raya »

Hi there!<br /><br />India, eh? Cool - my mum's family are originally from there, although now based in Mauritius (which is where I live).<br /><br />I'm more for Greek than Latin at the moment, but the more I see here the more I think I ought to start on Latin... I'm also on the verge of university - I hope to study Classics in the UK. <br /><br />So - what do you plan to major in?

jagorev
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jagorev »

I thought of learning Greek first, as the literature in Greek is so much richer. But the thought of a different alphabet intimidated me...I was also told that if you learn Latin first in the familiar alphabet, getting used to the grammar, learning Greek becomes easier afterwards.<br /><br />Let's see.<br /><br />So far Latin seems manageable.<br /><br />I'll be double majoring in Economics and Math at Williams College, Massachussetts, but I've registered for Latin and will be doing it for at least two years.

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

If you can manage Hindi you should have no problem whatsoever with Greek!!! (I personally gave up on the Hindi alphabet... *sheepish grin*)<br /><br />It took me a while to adapt to Greek, but not as long as I'd have thought. What throws me off are the accents - not only do the stresses always seem to fall on strange syllables, but the whole business of raising and lowering pitch is so alien to me... However, I like it. I mean I look forward to the day when even that will come naturally.<br /><br />I'm guessing, from your major, that you are one of these mathematically-minded types? ;)