Films about ancient times

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Radek
Textkit Neophyte

Films about ancient times

Post by Radek »

How do you think about films take place in ancient times.
I think almost all are stiupid.
Their are rather commercial and sometimes there are meny mistakes.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Well there are always going to be "mistakes" but that's ok for the sake of art. The ancient Greeks sure had no qualms with changing up history to serve the purpose of their plays, so why should we? :)

I'm looking forward to The Passion, coming out this month, as well as Troy.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

There's another fun one about Alexander. It's starring Colin Farrel. Ugh. I hope he does a good job playing Alexander... I saw preview photo and he has blond hair. I wonder how accurate is that? :)

Radek
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Radek »

Yes I think Pasia can be a good one.
8)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

I don't be looking forward to the passion. The trailer ruined it for all those who have a fair knowledge of latin. Yet that should not affect the takings for not many have a fair knowledge of latin.

What would be excellent, Porky's of Pompeii. In latin of course with the gang fundamentally of the same ideals yet antiquitized....

i.e Pee Wee would be something like parva mentula etc.

Why is it that the films I want never come out.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Why is it that the films I want never come out.
:roll:

Films take ages to reach Germany... so I haven't heard anything of these films yet (probably something to do with the fact that I don't watch much tv, but SWR3 radio should keep me updated on films too...).
I think I can guess what Troy is going to be about, but Passion? Is it set in Rome or Greece or where?
There are some films set in ancient times I've seen which I thought were stupid, but I haven't watched many.
I was disappointed with the film version of the Odyssey, but maybe that's because it's different from Homer's original (the bits of the LOTR film I didn't like were the ones where they weren't true to the book). But I think Peter Jackson's next project should be the filming of the Odyssey in three parts and spend some money on it so it looks good this time :) .

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

here are the trailers:

Passion

Troy

:)

I disagree that the passion trailer ruins anything for latin students. Just because they use the ecclesiastical pronunciation instead of the classical, it doesn't mean that the movie isn't still good (besides, if we really want to get picky it should be greek instead of latin, no?).
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Yes but it goes without saying that the aura of Latin had to be there since the Romans were dominating at that time...anyway if I want "eh-che omo" I'll go to Italy.

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Just because they use the ecclesiastical pronunciation instead of the classical, it doesn't mean that the movie isn't still good (besides, if we really want to get picky it should be greek instead of latin, no?).
Actually, for me it's not about being good, but it's just about not being annoying. I mean there's been millions of Jesus films, the reason why this paticular Jesus movie is appealing to me is because of the Latin. But then again, you can't ask all the actors to become classicists overnight. It would have been nice if they attempted classical pronunciation instead of Italian Latin... but who knows, it might be comical because you don't know if all the actors are trained with Italian pronunciation. It might sound like a Teach yourself Latin tape. I don't think greek is the only missing language, I think there should have been about 4 languages in the movie ..? I know there is amharaic (bad spelling); was there supposed to be hebrew?

{Edit: Ok changed it back to the way it was. ;)}
Last edited by 1%homeless on Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Do you mean Aramaic or some other language? Hmm that sounds like my name.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I don't think Hebrew would have been necessary... it was mostly used in the synagogues, as the religious language of the Jews (like Latin in the Catholic church...). They spoke Aramaic on the day to day, and Greek when communicating with non-jews.

Of course the reason that the movie is using Latin instead of Greek, and ecclesiastical pronunciation, is that Mel Gibson is a devout Catholic, so it's Latin that he has heard in church all his life.

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Ok, corrected my post, I should use the preview button more often. :) Actually, I would have left it alone, if I knew you guys were online. :)

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

Wow, I'll make a point of watching both Passion and Troy.

Hearing Ecce Puer at an early age ingrained e-chay as the correct pronunction... :roll: I'll have to thank one of my English teachers for that because I never heard any Latin in church.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

1%homeless wrote:There's another fun one about Alexander. It's starring Colin Farrel. Ugh. I hope he does a good job playing Alexander... I saw preview photo and he has blond hair. I wonder how accurate is that? :)
I don't have access to the Greek, but Plutarch describes Alexander as follows:

The outward appearance of Alexander is best represented by the statues of him which Lysippus made, and it was by this artist alone that Alexander himself thought it fit that he should be modelled. For those peculiarities which many of his successors and friends afterwards tried to imitate, namely, the poise of the neck, which was bent slightly to the left, and the melting glance of his eyes, this artist has accurately observed. Apelles, however, in painting him as wielder of the thunder-bolt, did not reproduce his complexion, but made it too dark and swarthy. Whereas he was of a fair colour, as they say, and his fairness passed into ruddiness on his breast particularly, and in his face. Moreover, that a very pleasant odour exhaled from his skin and that there was a fragrance about his mouth and all his flesh, so that his garments were filled with it, this we have read in the Memoirs of Aristoxenus.
(section 4)

http://www.ukans.edu/history/index/euro ... er*/3.html

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

bingley wrote:Moreover, that a very pleasant odour exhaled from his skin and that there was a fragrance about his mouth and all his flesh, so that his garments were filled with it, this we have read in the Memoirs of Aristoxenus.
I wonder if this is actually true (ie, Alexander wore some sort of perfume oil or such), or if it's part of the legend because we like to think of our heroes as sweet smelling--I'm thinking of certain religious legends about dead saints not decomposing, but giving off a sweet smell instead.