Oscar nominiations

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Emma_85
Global Moderator

Oscar nominiations

Post by Emma_85 »

Johnny Depp has been nominated for best actor - his first Oscar nomination :D .
Apart from that the films nominated are ones I've never heard of, except for Lord of the Rings, which I hope will win.
Any one here seen Mystic River? It's been nominated, but I know it's not even been translated into German (and probably never will be unless it wins all the Oscars it's nominated for and people damand to see it in cinemas here).
Cold Mountain isn't out here either yet (as far as I know, or maybe it's been in cinemas here already and no one noticed it), but to me it doesn't sound like a very good film from what the critics here wrote about it. All very clever they said and moving, but at no time in the film do you actually buy and of it. :? Any opinions on that movie?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

i haven't seen it but i've heard good things about it.

i hope Pirates gets more nominations in some of the other categories. Johnny definitely deserves best actor.

seabiscuit looks lame from all the previews but apparently it's everyone's favourite movie... hm... there's a lot of hype about it around here because the true story on which it's based happened just a few hours from me. but i'll wait for the rental...
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Porky's deserves an oscar!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

It's a bit late, Episcopus.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Episcopus wrote:Porky's deserves an oscar!
Hahaha. :lol:

I didn't think a cult classic like that would reach Wales.

I haven't seen mystic river or cold mountain...

Sheesh am I slow. I didn't even know about the Oscar nominations. Heh heh, and I am from southern Cali. Anyways, I am a jaded LA person and don't pay attention to entertainment awards. Actually, I don't watch too much TV either. :) Most of the channels I watch are the History channel and other learning channels. MTV isn't really a music video channel anymore. It's a reality TV channel now. Not that it matters, because most music videos suck these days.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I won't embarrass myself by asking right out what an Oscar is. Everybody knows what they are, right? I mean, they're...awards...of some kind...and they're given to people...or things...on a regular basis. Everybody knows what Oscars are.

But if someone out there would like to casually insert an offhand definition into their next post...it would not go unappreciated!! :wink: :lol:

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

google's your friend ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

Another search option name: Academy Awards. To make it more confusing there are other words like emmys, grammys, and golden globe. The there film festival awards: Sundance award, Cannes award, etc.

An Oscar is golden statue of portable size given to "professionals" in the movie industry. I'm jealous that you don't know what an osacr is... I say, don't bother even learning about it.

The "official way" you win an oscar is by votes from the professionals in the industry. So if people hate you in the industry, you don't win, no matter how talented you are. But some people have other theories about how one wins an oscar... Entertainment politics...

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Funnily enough, my second thought on reading the nominations in the paper this morning was "Emma will be pleased." (My first thought was to check what LotR had been nominated for)

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Funnily enough, my second thought on reading the nominations in the paper this morning was "Emma will be pleased." (My first thought was to check what LotR had been nominated for)
:D :D :D :D :D

The second thing I wanted to know was what LoTR was nominated for.

I hardly watch TV anymore either, because I hate all the adverts. I do watch DVDs though or any good history programmes. I use to watch Mtv a lot, it was my favourite channel, but now it really is just brainless reality tv and the really good presenters are gone replaced by ones with no brain who've never read a book in their lives (or if they have they've been told not to talk about them by the producers). Markus Kavka was great, and he's so funny, he could even make fun of a brick if he wanted to.

Don't worry about not knowing about the Oscar awards... at first I thought you might be joking though. Lol, it's funny - to some people they are so important (for all the movie fans and people in the movie business) and others have never heard of them. I'm still no sure whether or not to watch them... I think I will though, only because of Johnny. I've never stayed up to watch them before, because here in Europe... well the time difference would have me up all night long until 4 o'clock or something. But I can't miss Johnny... what if he does win? :P

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

And I thought the Oscars were just an American thing... :roll:
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Lol, they make a lot of fuss about them all over the world. The only problem is you don't get to see the whole show (with out an annoying German commentary) if you don't stay up to watch it. Normally I just watch a shortened version of the awards.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I almost never watch award shows... but I usually pay attention to who wins what, just by checking out the press afterwards. it's a lot faster that way. I think the last time I watched an awards show was the Dove awards a couple of years ago, since I had some friends performing in it and being nominated... :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

klewlis wrote: I think the last time I watched an awards show was the Dove awards a couple of years ago, since I had some friends performing in it and being nominated... :)
Did they win?

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

no... I felt ripped off about it too. They were nominated for "best new artist" but also nominated was an artist that had been around and popular for several years, so they weren't really new... Apparently how it works is that as long as you've never been nominated before, it doesn't matter how old you are, and you can be nominated for best new artist. So anyway, this older band won. I thought it was unfair... but what can you do? :)

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

1%homeless wrote:
Episcopus wrote:Porky's deserves an oscar!
Hahaha. :lol:

I didn't think a cult classic like that would reach Wales.
It did, just took 23 years.

makaush
Textkit Neophyte

my own movie??

Post by makaush »

hey all :D

i wanna produce or make a movie of my own about the great aryan wars of the mahabharata in the lines of ben hur and the clash of the titans 8)

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

Has been done before:

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showre ... p3?ID=4250

Ingrid
(who has seen it on tv almost 15 years ago, sorry, can't tell you much about it anymore, apart from the fact that it was impressive (it was on commercial-free tv, with only one or two coffee and sanitary breaks :).)

makaush
Textkit Neophyte

Post by makaush »

hey ingrid :D

thanks for the link!! :D

Emma_85
Global Moderator

And the Oscar goes to ... Lord of the Rings!

Post by Emma_85 »

:D :D :D
11 Oscar nominations and LOTR won them all!

I stayed up all night to watch the Oscars and didn't get a minutes sleep... oh well... :roll:

Johnny didn't get Best Actor :cry: , but I'm sure he'll be nominated again another time ...