Looking for...dictionary

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Looking for...dictionary

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I'm looking for a dictionary and am thinking about buying the 1977-edition of Cassell's Latin Dictionary: Latin-English, English-Latin (NOT the "concise" edition but the real one) as published by Macmillan General Reference.

My requirements: 1 volume, Latin examples, ideally hardback, for the general population of Latin readers, reasonably complete

I had a look at the 19th-century original on Archive.org and liked it. Before buying it, however, I would like to know if anyone of you knows of other dictionaries worth having a look at.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: Looking for...dictionary

Post by pster »

I don't have any strong views about Latin dictionaries per se, but I looked and for double the price you can get an Elementary Lewis (there is a very good condition one for $25). What I really would not like about the Cassell's is that they don't give you full translations for the Latin examples they give. I don't like dictionary regresses. (One of my peeves about Liddell and Scott.) Also, they say in some of the reviews that the English-Latin direction is weak and I believe it as I have seen that elsewhere recently. So I would go with the Elementary Lewis plus a cheap Bantam New College for English-Latin which you can also take with you to the beach for Latin-English--or at least to the bath! 8)

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

I get on fine with Cassels with the occasional checking of the OLD. Also try Chambers.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

helios
Textkit Neophyte
Location: I was born by the river in a little tent / and just like the river, I've been running ever since

Post by helios »

The only one I ever use is Elementary Latin Dictionary by CT Lewis. I have one or two others around, but besides concise definitions, Lewis shows Greek cognates in many entries and also citations from Latin text showing the word's use.

As another user has pointed out it can be had for $25 and is well worth the cost.
Keep it rill.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

Thanks for your tipps. I'm, giving Cassell's a try first. I ordered (and should get next week) the 1977-edition.

A major reason for my choice is its better layout. The edition of Lewis's Elementary Latin Dictionary I looked at (the 1894-edition on Archive.org) has a layout which makes me get lost in the text while that of Cassell's (or at least of this modern edition of it) is clearer. And as I am going to use it a lot, anything distracting is a major inconvenience.

In the worst case scenario I can still buy the Lewis later on.

Gratias vobis ago,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.