greek mythology

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Thucydides
Textkit Fan

greek mythology

Post by Thucydides »

can anyone when recommend a good book that covers all the greek myths? they're starting to confuse me...!

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

'The Greek Myths - Complete Edition' by Robert Graves is quite good in my opinion.
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

I think the most confusing thing about Greek myth is the genealogy. I remember there was an entire book that was just about the genealogies, but I forgot the title...

Also, I wonder if there are any books that teaches ancient greek through the mythologies... that would be fun...

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Bulfinch's Mythology is pretty well reputed, but it does not focus only on Greek.
Last edited by benissimus on Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

I would have to second the recommendation for Bullfinch's. For many people this is THE standard myth text.

ingrid70
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by ingrid70 »

It's also on the web: http://www.bulfinch.org/

Ingrid, in the possession of an abridged but nicely illustrated version of Robert Graves' Greek myths.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I third the Bullfinch recommendation...it's one of my favorites. (I was going to post the link, but I see Ingrid already did.)

I love the site because it's easy to navigate. (Oh-and because I love mythology! :wink: )

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

bulfinch's (qualified) suggestion that some greek myths might be derived from the scriptures is a bit hilarious. i've read somewhere that the greeks might have got the idea for a myth about the battle between the gods and the giants from the exposed smashed jawbones of dinosaurs on some greek islands, which can still be found today. i think it was in national geo. the greeks might have got the idea of "slain giants" from these bones, the same way that other cultures have their "slain dragons" myths from the dinosaur bones.

also the tie between the gods and olympus specifically might have come from the fact that, even today still, on mount olympus there are campfire-sized fires burning continuously, and if you blow them out they re-ignite spontaneously. maybe the really early greeks thought that there were invisible olympians living on the hill, and the myths of the gods developed from there. cheers, chad. :)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

chad wrote:bulfinch's (qualified) suggestion that some greek myths might be derived from the scriptures is a bit hilarious.
Not entirely hilarious. I don't know how much the Akkadian, Sumerian, Assyrian, etc., religious texts were available to Bulfinch when he was writing. The Archaic Greek religious world, at least in it's literary representation, shows a lot of near-eastern influence. So perhaps Bulfinch saw parentage where they are instead siblings. Martin West has an entire book on this, The East Face of Helicon.

Certainly Homer is crammed full of near-eastern stories, and even turns of phrase. Terms like "shepherd of the people" are used by Homer, and then disappear from Greek until the Greek world adopts a near-eastern religion, Christianity.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

annis wrote:Not entirely hilarious.
Yes, look how I saw the story of adam and eve in the encouter of odysseus and nausicaa. ;) killing of god on the tree is also found in both north myth and egypto-persian myths.

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

is the phrase "shepherd of the people" near-eastern? it sounds like it might be related to the egyptian culture... the symbol of the pharaoh was the shepherd's crook and flail, and i think he (or she) was called shepherd of the people. egypt and greece of course had strong connections, particularly through crete. these connections are quite interesting, but i think conclusions about parentage in these cases are a bit suspect... :)

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

you know, Egypt is near eastern.
or is it not considered so?

i am not sure about the shepherd of the people nick for the pharaohs (by the way, the female pharaohs are outnumbered. no need for the "or she")

the idea of shepherd is likely to orginate in a nomadic culture.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Modern Egypt is considered part of the Near (or Middle) East, but not Ancient Egypt. Don't worry, Egypt hasn't moved over the past couple of thousand years, it's just that modern Egyptian culture is similar enough to that of other societies in the region to make it meaningful to group them together and Ancient Egyptian culture wasn't.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

chad wrote:egypt and greece of course had strong connections, particularly through crete. these connections are quite interesting, but i think conclusions about parentage in these cases are a bit suspect... :)
Linguists have the nice German term Sprachbund to describe a region where people speaking different languages interact, which leads to interesting similarities in possibly unrelated languages.

I wonder if there's the term Kulturbund, into which we can cram the ancient Near East and archaic Greece.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

hi kalailan, hatshepsut and twosret were 2 women who were pharaohs, and so adopted the shepherd's crook and flail: one to gently lead, one to discipline. hatshepsut in particular was a very impressive pharaoh, concentrating on the internal development of egypt, instead of war-mongering like thutmose iii, so i think "he or she" for pharaohs is justified, just like you might say he or she about e.g. english monarchs... cheers, chad. :)

Kalailan
Textkit Member

Post by Kalailan »

in hebrew, because of the masculine/feminine vocativs, you have to choose between the two when talking to a crowd. the rule is: if there is one male, no matter how many females are about, masculine should be used. i know it is very chauvinistic, but hey, the ancient hebrews were a near eastern culture.

1%homeless
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by 1%homeless »

i know it is very chauvinistic, but hey, the ancient hebrews were a near eastern culture.
:lol: lol

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

Kalailan wrote:in hebrew, because of the masculine/feminine vocativs, you have to choose between the two when talking to a crowd. the rule is: if there is one male, no matter how many females are about, masculine should be used. i know it is very chauvinistic, but hey, the ancient hebrews were a near eastern culture.
however, we are conversing in english, not hebrew. :)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

English would do that too if it weren't for all the modern political correctness stuff :P I really wouldn't mind the changes, but there should be some sort of convention to make up replacement words so we aren't left with awkward, verbose circumlocution. Anyways, that masculine thing must go way back if it is in both IE languages and Semitic.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

benissimus wrote:English would do that too if it weren't for all the modern political correctness stuff :P I really wouldn't mind the changes, but there should be some sort of convention to make up replacement words so we aren't left with awkward, verbose circumlocution. Anyways, that masculine thing must go way back if it is in both IE languages and Semitic.
Lesbians and other assorted feminists have tried to introduce the word "ze" as a gender-nonspecific replacement for "he or she". It hasn't caught on, and I'm neither surprised nor disappointed. I'd rather read or hear the sexist but concise generic "he" than I would either the PC but verbose "he or she" or the bizarre "ze".

Some things I've read say that the "Great Discovery" (that pregnancy is caused by sex), and the overthrow of goddess-worshipping matriarchal cultures by god-worshipping patriarchal ones, both happened about 3500BC. So, yeah, it probably goes way back.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

English has devised a way of dealing with this, the use of the singular they/them/their where the antecedent is not precisely known. It would be more common if it were not for the strictures of the grammatically hidebound, who no doubt long for the good old days when thou was the singular form and you the plural. Before you dismiss this as political correctness raising its head again, I would direct your attention to this little article: Everybody Loves Their Jane Austen http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/austheir.html

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

A wonderful article, Bingley! I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

bingley wrote:English has devised a way of dealing with this
Yes, the use of "he" as the generic singular pronoun when referring to a person of unspecified gender, e.g. "When a person wants to study Greek, he should be prepared to work hard." It's sexist, yes, but that is how the English language works. Get used to it.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

If someone wants to learn Greek, they should be prepared to work hard.

Perfectly good English, used from Chaucer down to the present day.

waraysa
Textkit Neophyte

Greek Myths

Post by waraysa »

i also love reading Robert Graves retelling of the Greek myths which i have in a two volume Folio edition.

For something a bit more academic, I would recommend "Classical Mythology" by Mark Morford and Robert Lenardon, Longmans, London and New York. I have the 3rd edition, 1985.

I have found this to be a very useful reference when I have read a myth in my Greek reader and wisch to check it out further. For example, I recently looked up the story of Iphigenia. The book has a whole chapter on the "Mycenean saga" and a very useful famliy tree for the house of Atreus. It has chapters on the GReek Gods, GReek Sagas and heroes, Roman Mythology and Classical n Music and Film.

Kopio
Global Moderator

Re: greek mythology

Post by Kopio »

Thucydides wrote:can anyone when recommend a good book that covers all the greek myths? they're starting to confuse me...!
I'm reading Apollodorus' Library right now (in Greek) from the Loeb Library, it covers most of the geneologies and a bunch of the Greek Myths.....it's not too difficult of Greek either.

Helen of Troy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helen of Troy »

It is so wonderful to witness the thread transformation from Greek mythology to the political corectness of m/f forms in one language.

However, back to Thucydides. Robert Graves is doubted by meny scientists (unfortunately, I say). Mabybe you should try with Mircea Eliade, The guide to world religions. It is good thing to start with, cuz it's giving a somewhat wider picture. For getting deeper into it, I'm using a lexicon of Greek mythology. If you can find something like that, it might work for you as well. These lexions are providing you with all variants of a myth related to a certain god, godess, hero etc.