Purchasing books in Latin

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
quickly
Textkit Neophyte

Purchasing books in Latin

Post by quickly »

Aside from the Loeb editions (which are fantastic), what is the easiest way to access either classical or medieval/neo-Latin texts? While I am taking classical Latin, I would like to purchase a copy of Spinoza's Ethica in the original Latin (although I can find it online, a hard copy has more flavor). This venture is seemingly impossible.

All you Latin, Greek, or classics fanatics: what are the most salient resources available for purchasing or accessing rare, but supposedly existent, Latin/Greek texts?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Purchasing books in Latin

Post by bedwere »

Consider also that you can often find the pdf of those books on Google books and then you can print them on lulu.com

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

quickly
Textkit Neophyte

Post by quickly »

Thank you both. I think that, because my university doesn't have a copy of Ethica, and I can't get it on an interlibrary loan network, lulu.com looks like my best option. Unfortunately, there isn't an annotated edition available, which would be my preference. However, the sites listed by dlb look promising for other texts.

Thank you

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

You are welcome.
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

anglicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anglicus »

bedwere wrote:Consider also that you can often find the pdf of those books on Google books and then you can print them on lulu.com
Have you (or anyone else) done this yourself? I'm curious to how satisfied people have been with the results. I'm a little wary of trying it myself, just because some of the scans on Google aren't very good quality to begin with, and then if the printing isn't the best, you may end up with a book that is nearly illegible in spots (especially with Greek texts).

quickly
Textkit Neophyte

Post by quickly »

I tried making a lulu file from google's scan of Ethica, which wasn't accepted due to the PDF having no embedded text. I would assume the best option would be to find a text version (perseus, etc.) and format a PDF as you like it.

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

You can find some out of print copies of Ethica on abebooks . In Italy Ethica is still published with parallel text Latin/Italian. Otherwise you might search with antiquarian booksellers.
Good luck
Misopogon