Online: Fratris Felicis Fabri Evagatorium (Vol. 1)

Latin after CDLXXVI
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Online: Fratris Felicis Fabri Evagatorium (Vol. 1)

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

My latest transcription project has been uploaded to Project Gutenberg: Volume 1 of Fratris Felicis Fabri Evagatorium in Terrae Sanctae, Arabiae et Egypti Peregrinationem, a German monk's pilgrimage to the Holy Land etc. This volume covers his first journey to the Holy Land (a brief account) and the beginning of the second one, including a very interesting account of the journey itself (very detailled account). You can download it from its Project Gutenberg-page.

The second pilgrimage took place in 1483/1484, so do not expect classical Latin. I can recommend this text to anyone who is interested in a lively account of travelling and pilgrimage in the late 15th century. It is fairly easy to read, so give it a try. There are two more parts (not yet transcribed) which cover the rest of his pilgrimage including the journey back.

I hope people will enjoy it. Please share its being available for free at Gutenberg.org.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Online: Fratris Felicis Fabri Evagatorium (Vol. 1)

Post by bedwere »

Congratulations for your hard work! Those interested in this kind of literature may also want to check

Ætheriæ Itinerarium peregrinationis
Itinerarium Egeriæ (classicized)

Merry Christmas!

rmvtab
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rmvtab »

Do you know if there is an English translation somewhere? I searched but could not find anything. It seems like an interesting read but with my current Latin ability I like being able to read in English to make sure I am translating properly.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

There's these two volumes published by H. F. M. Prescott:
Jerusalem Journey
Once to Sinai

But, as far as I can see, they are not full translations. Prescott wrote her own account of Faber's pilgrimages and larded it with quotes from the books.