Hellenism and Christianity resources

gregf
Textkit Neophyte

Hellenism and Christianity resources

Post by gregf »

Can someone recommend resources for reading about the relationship between Hellenistic philosophy and the development of Christianity? I'd like to read Aristotle and Plato together with the Church Fathers, but I need some basic background reading beforehand, perhaps a general historical survey of the key players and theological/philosophical issues involved. Any book recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as well as any comments on how best to approach the topic (which I understand to be vast).

Who, what, when, where, why: I'm interested in all of it.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Hellenism and Christianity resources

Post by Markos »

When I was a young man, I loved Father Copleston's, A History of Philosophy, Volume 1: Greek and Rome.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0385468431/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

My copy of the book is long gone, but I see that you can get a used copy on Amazon for only two dollars. Would that one's own youth was so easily replaced!

John W.
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by John W. »

An old, but still readable, book is W.G. de Burgh's The Legacy of the Ancient World, which contains a great deal about Christianity's debt to Greek thought.

Best wishes,

John

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Hey, take a look at Christianity and Classical Culture by Charles Cochrane. It's a deeply interesting book, tying philosophical, political, and religious ideas (Pagan and Christian) to the historical development of the late Roman Republic & empire.