Roma Aeterna Cap. 39

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
dsimo04
Textkit Neophyte

Roma Aeterna Cap. 39

Post by dsimo04 »

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the help thus far.
I'm having trouble with a sentence on page 56 (lines 20-22), section Iuno, chapter 39. The sentence reads: Talia animo incenso secum cogitans dea in Aeoliam, nimborum patriam, venit. My translation: With a burning/angry spirit, thinking of such things the goddess came with them to Aeoliam, the country of clouds.

First, the order of the words, particularly the placement of secum is throwing me off, but based on the context thats the only meaning I can gather from it. Second, with regard to "nimborum patriam", would it be better to say the rainy/cloudy country?

Salvete Omnes. Gratias vobis pro auxilio adhuc ago.
In pagina 56, partis Iononis capituli 39 ab versu 20 ad 22 sententia difficultem mihi dat. Inquit "Talia animo incenso secum cogitans dea in Aeoliam, nimborum patriam, venit." Versio mea: With a burning/angry spirit, thinking of such things the goddess came with them to Aeoliam, the country of clouds.

Prius, verborum ordo, maxime de "secum", me afficit, sed in contextu, est illa significatio una quam legere potest. Secundum, de "nimborum patriam", sitne melior dicere "rainy/cloudy country" sicut "nimborum" adjectivum est?

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Re: Roma Aeterna Cap. 39

Post by paulusnb »

se is reflexive so secum means "with herself." Here, "to herself" might be better. Kingdom of the clouds is good because it is a place, not a description. For example, the kingdom of the sea.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

dsimo04
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dsimo04 »

Gratias tibi, Paulo, et Salve!

To make sure I understand correctly, secum cogitare can be rendered "to think to one's self"?

Ut recte scirem "secum cogitare" sententia angle convertat "to think to one's self"?

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Certe.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

You'll also see instances of "mecum" "tecum" and "secum" with people talking to themselves.

Interdum videbis "mecum," "tecum," et "secum" significare aliquem ad se ipsum loquentem.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute