Hmm... just a thought...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Brent2009
Textkit Neophyte

Hmm... just a thought...

Post by Brent2009 »

I was looking through one of my very many Latin books, and I came across a bunch of English words derived from Latin, its neat, subdivided by different Categories, etc.

anyway... Under the Mathmatical and Geometrical terms derived from Latin.... they all make alot of sense to me.. except for one..

Obtuse, from obtundere- strike.

Hmm, just curious how that relates to an obtuse angle... or something obtuse in general i suppose...

this may be far fetched, but the closest thing i can think of, is maybe... when you strike something [for instance, a person], your body would be in a position where you would form a obtuse angle would form from the side of the body to the striking hand

\ <-- Arm
\
\( ) <-- Head
| |
| <-- side of body

I know the 'diagram' isnt the greatest, but hopefully it can serve my point? I would love some insight on this

Brent2009
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brent2009 »

=\ It didnt create the "diagram" as i drew it. but the persons arm is up in the air and away from the body.. i think you know what i mean.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I believe obtundere comes with the sense of beating something flat. A possible definition is "to make blunt." This would explain obtuse angles, since they are blunt, i.e. wide and not sharp (obtusus/acutus are antonyms). It comes from the passive participle, "obtusus."

Arvid
Textkit Member

Post by Arvid »

I learned this from WKRP in Cincinnati! When someone called Les Nessman obtuse, he had to look it up: "More than 90 degrees, but less than 180 degrees; Dull-witted or lacking in understanding; Rounded at the free end."

"I just paid $10 to learn I'm rounded at the free end!" Seriously, maybe the core meaning is something flat and round that you would strike something with?