Cambridge Latin learning tactic

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
lozzic
Textkit Neophyte

Cambridge Latin learning tactic

Post by lozzic »

Salvete! I am currently using the first Cambridge book and I would appreciate a little advice on how to use a textbook successfully and whether my learning strategy is adequate.
I have done the first lesson and am currently half way through the second. My strategy is to first of all read the Latin passage to try and get a feel for it and understand what it means. I then, and only then go to read the translated word list in order to get a feel for the exact meanings of the words. After this I pick the first 8 or so on the list and I keep them bouncing in my head trying my best to substitute English phrases and words for Latin ones that mean the same thing and trying to feel the words and word order as my own. I continue this for the rest of the words (this can take me a day to do on and off) until I know them off by heart. After this stage I go back to reading the passage and trying to fit what I have learnt in to that and to try and read it without translating in my mind but rather to 'feel' the words (this is the most difficult thing and I only succeed on very few words). The final activity I do is the set questions section after the lesson in the book which I usually find fairly simple after doing what I have already done.

Is this strategy OK? Are there any bad habits there? How long should I spend on a lesson? Should I outright learn the words off by heart like that? If there is any more advice you can offer then please do I would much appreciate it! :) Thank you

Lozzic

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I haven't used the Cambridge course, but I've used the third volume of the Oxford course, and they are similar from what I understand.

Your habits are good ones. As you've realized, learning to "think" in Latin and not English is essential to your success. As long as you're mentally substituting or paraphrasing English for the Latin you'll fail. It's a very common error, too, so it's best to develop good habits now that you're starting. I can't tell you how many people in my third year university course are trying to play the 'decode/translate into English' game while they read. And, unsurprisingly, these people are the worst Latinists. Don't just hunt for subject, verb, etc. Approach Latin as you would any modern language.

D. R. Shakleton Bailey, one of the preeminent modern Cicero scholars and Latinists, learned Latin and Greek with the following method: everyday he would choose 100 lines of prose, or 4 pages from an Oxford Classical Text (OCT). First he would read the text aloud. Second, he would translate the text as usual. Third, he would reread the whole passage out-loud yet again in Latin (or Greek). This is after he knew the basic grammar, though, so keep that in mind. Also, you probably don't need to be so ambitious with 4 pages a day. Any amount will do.

As for specifics, I'll reiterate the principles you've already discovered. Reading something multiple times is key. Of course, you need to learn all the vocabulary and grammar involved. But before this, just read the passage--out loud if possible. See how much you can pick up, and get a general sense of the meaning, syntax, and rhythm. After this, slog through all the grammar and vocabulary you need for the section. Then read through the passage again with this background information, and try to 'directly' assimilate the information of the passage. As you said, this is the most difficult but also the most important part. It's what moves you from 'decoding' the language in a most artificial manner, to comprehending it organically. Soon, you'll be reading the Latin and directly taking the meaning from it, not from a simultaneous English rendition.

lozzic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lozzic »

Yes I understand what you mean thanks for that advice. It is funny how the brain works. I often find that when I read a Latin word, or think about a word I sometimes have to beat back my mind from then saying the corresponding English :lol: . I suppose the key to it all is just time and practice and slowly building up to comprehend in Latin rather than working through translating as you said yourself. :D

LisaNYork
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LisaNYork »

thesaurus wrote: As you've realized, learning to "think" in Latin and not English is essential to your success. As long as you're mentally substituting or paraphrasing English for the Latin you'll fail.

D. R. Shakleton Bailey, one of the preeminent modern Cicero scholars and Latinists, learned Latin and Greek with the following method: everyday he would choose 100 lines of prose, or 4 pages from an Oxford Classical Text (OCT). First he would read the text aloud. Second, he would translate the text as usual. Third, he would reread the whole passage out-loud yet again in Latin (or Greek). This is after he knew the basic grammar, though, so keep that in mind. Also, you probably don't need to be so ambitious with 4 pages a day. Any amount will do.
Hi Thesaurus,

I agree with you on the error that many Latin students make by constantly trying to render the Latin into English in their heads while they read. I am finding that I do that less and less as I read through Oerberg's Lingua Latina. I'll know I've really learned a lot when I start to *think* in Latin instead of English. LOL I remember this happening to me when learned Spanish.

You stated that the above mentioned person (Bailey) would translate a passage after reading it aloud. I have not been doing that at all, in keeping with Oerberg's method of direct immersion. How is translating into English beneficial? Wouldn't it be better just to give a *summary* in English?

Thanks!
Lisa