the classical night sky

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
cantator
Textkit Fan

the classical night sky

Post by cantator »

I'm an early riser (5 AM is fine) and I like to take a walk after my morning exertions. At this time in NW Ohio USA the night (and early morning) sky is filled with constellations and stars that bear Latin and Greek names and references.

Here are a few of the most clearly visible beauties I recognized this morning:

planets:
Venus
Saturn
Mars

constellations:
Orion
Sagittarius
Ursa Major
Ursa Minor
the Coma Berenices
many others...

stars:
Procyon
Regulus
other notables within constellations

I usually check with the Stellarium program before going out and after coming back in. Stellarium is a very nice "virtual observatory", I use the Linux version, but I'm sure there are similar apps for Windows or the Mac.

What, you're into classics and you don't know any of the constellations ?!

Hmm, how does one say "Tsk, tsk, tsk" in Latin ? ;)

Added: I forgot to mention that the moon is waning but it's still bright enough to conceal many other luminaries. It'll be darkened soon, but light pollution is a problem in cities and towns. Best viewing is obviously from a place with little or no ambient light.
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

Tertius Robertus
Textkit Fan
Location: 666 Burning Hotties Road, Ol' Dis by Styx, 5th inner circle, Hell.

Post by Tertius Robertus »

What, you're into classics and you don't know any of the constellations ?!

Hmm, how does one say "Tsk, tsk, tsk" in Latin ?
:oops:

i cant say how much i envy you for being able to watch the stars (safely :shock:)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

When I lived in Saskatchewan I was in a tiny town in the middle of the prairies, and my house was on the last road, so when I walked out into my back yard at night, it was PITCH black. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face--but the stars were amazing!!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Bob Manske
Textkit Neophyte

the classical night sky

Post by Bob Manske »

Cantator and all others who are interested in star watching.

You should take a look at Comet Holmes. Early evening. Up in Perseus, very bright, naked eye object, about 2nd or 3rd magnitude. There are finder charts on the web, just google (isn't English a wonderful language? You can verb anything) for Comet Holmes. It's in the same binocular field as Mirfak.

cantator
Textkit Fan

Re: the classical night sky

Post by cantator »

Bob Manske wrote:You should take a look at Comet Holmes. Early evening. Up in Perseus, very bright, naked eye object, about 2nd or 3rd magnitude. There are finder charts on the web, just google (isn't English a wonderful language? You can verb anything) for Comet Holmes. It's in the same binocular field as Mirfak.
Thanks for the reminder, Bob, I'll be sure to look for it. I remember seeing Hale-Bopp in the late 90s, that was an impressive sight.

Btw, Stellarium tells me that Mercury is also sometimes visible in my part of the world now. I haven't seen it yet, but I'll be looking for it too.
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Hi Cantator,

I agree with you that it is the duty of all self-respecting born-again Ancients to know their constellations. More important than folding togas. Only by plotting the fixed pinpoints in the night sky – and recognizing the wanderers - can we gain a notion of what went on in the pre-electric, pre-Galilean (i.e. pre-Galileo) mind. Not to mention all those mythical heroes who were ‘translated’ to the skies. Incidentally, don’t underestimate what a little moonlight can do: like airbrushing out some of the distracting myriads of background stars, making it easier to spot the major players.

A long time ago someone quoted ‘Vergil’ at me:

Sunt aries, taurus, gemini, cancer, leo, virgo
Libraque, scorpius, arcitenens, caper, amphora, pisces.

Now Google tells me these lines come from some anonymous verses in Appendix Vergiliana: De Signis Caelestibus (also claimed for Ausanius). The same Appendix includes ‘Copa Surisca’, which I know is a favourite of yours.

Google also provides:

“Anianus (ca. 1450)
Astronomer and Poet, wrote an astronomical poem titled 'Computatus manualis', published in Strasbourg in 1488. This poem contains for the first time the terms Sunt Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libraque, Scorpio, Arcitenens, Caper, Amphora and Pisces.? Oh well.

Thanks for the Stellarium link. Stunning. What a perspective on infinity/eternity. What a demo of the knowledge explosion! :roll:

Cheers,
Int