Help translating a quote

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Sicarius Respublicae
Textkit Neophyte

Help translating a quote

Post by Sicarius Respublicae »

Salvete, I have this favorite quote of mine from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. that I have been trying to translate. My knowledge of the Latin language is unfortunately novice so I was wondering if I could gain some assistance in getting the following translated:

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
(Vir)-----------------------(pro)------------(est non)----(vivere)

I realize that there are probably several ways to translate this, but I'm trying to get the most poetic translation I can. All help is appreciated and gratia in advance.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Not a quite litteral translation, but nice and short:

"pro nullo moriturus vivendi non meritus."
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”

Sicarius Respublicae
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sicarius Respublicae »

Kasper wrote:Not a quite litteral translation, but nice and short:

"pro nullo moriturus vivendi non meritus."
Ah, nice translation, and I do love the poetic ring to it. I am much obliged for the help. BONA FORTVNA SEMPER

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Despite the fact that a good translation has been given, would anyone care to critique my inferior attempt? I don't get to try my hand much at composition.

qui pro aliquid non moriatur vivere non debet.

How should "won't die" be best translated? Is the future participle best? I took it in the subjunctive sense of "would not die" Would "moriturus esset" work? I'm really weak when it comes to future subjunctives.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I'm interested in the answers to your questions, too, Thesaure, and hoping someone will respond. I thought that "pro nullo moriturus" suggests, Kasper, more a predictive "he who will die for nothing" (which isn't to me the same as "he who would not die for something") but I prefer Kasper's "vivendi non meritus" to "vivere non debet" because the latter seems to me like an exhortation to polish that person off rather than a judgement. If someone will critique, then can I also throw in "qui vitam suam pro aliquid non det, non dignus vitae est." just for fun and curiosity, and not because I think to recommend it, but only because it's interesting to compare things when you're, like me, a beginner. If it's grammatical, I'm curious also if the word order "qui non vitam suam pro aliquid det" emphasises something subtly different than "qui vitam suam pro aliquid non det".

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

Hmm, interesting comments. I fear my ability is insufficient to accurately respond to it.

I'm not sure about the future participle with an implied form of esse, versus a subjunctive of mori. It seems to me that because the verbs in my line are implied, they may well be subjunctive, but that may indeed require more explicit expression. I really just don't know...

Re Thesaurus' line, pro needs to be followed by ablative, so aliquo. Same goes for you Adriane.

I agree that vivere non debet is a bit strong, more like "he must not live", which is something else than not being fit to live.

Re Adrianus' line, it's a bit verbose for me, but i think otherwise good. (other than the ablative thing). I quite like "non dignus vitae est".

Cheers guys!
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."

Vitae sit qui aliqua causa moreretur indignus. (arrange as you see fit)

Will play around with some words to see if I can make it one line in metrical form.

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Post by Kasper »

I think you forgot the 'non' in there Chris?

Also, what motivates your use of moreretur as opposed to the previous suggestions?