Latin - English dictionary

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
JohnCain
Textkit Neophyte

Latin - English dictionary

Post by JohnCain »

I am looking for a good Latin - English dictionary. I have a small paper back version at the moment - nowhere near adequate and pages already falling out after less than a years use!
I dont mind paying for quality - I bought a 2 volume Shorter Oxford English Dictionary back in the 1960s - use it regularly and its still in good nick.

There seems to be a few around but would be interested in your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

Oxford Latin Dictionary is the best. If you venture beyond Classical Latin have a look at Lewis and Short. It's old, but good. In fact, if money is no object it is a good idea to have both OLD an L&S. For everyday needs I'd recommend Cassell's hard cover Latin dictionary.

I am not entirely sure what two-volume dictionary you are talking about.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

If you want something affordable, since OLD and L&S, I recommend Chambers-Murray Latin-English dictionary. It's far superior to Cassell's, but doesn't have an English-Latin section.

Deses
Textkit Fan

Post by Deses »

I will agree about Chambers-Murray, but it seems to be not as well published as Cassell's.
<a href="http://www.inrebus.com"> In Rebus: Latin quotes and phrases; Latin mottos; Windows interface for Latin Words </a>

JohnCain
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JohnCain »

Thanks for that - have ordered the Chambers - Murray and will take it from there.
The point I was making about my SOD was that after 40+ years use the pages are not falling out!

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

I use my Chambers-Murray almost daily, and it's still fine, although I do know of a friend who took it to get a hardcover for it.

JohnCain
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JohnCain »

Have had my Chambers Murray Dictionary now for a week or so and am generally very satisfied - thanks for the recommendation.

I have found fully understanding the format of the entries a bit of a challenge ie the 1 A B a etc but am getting used to it. Quite a good learning tool if you have a few minutes while having a break. Choose a word and try to work out the meanings of all the citations
Leads to a sort of chain reaction!
John

Kimble
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kimble »

I use "The New College Latin & English Dictionary" by John C. Taupman, Ph.D. c.1966 Bantam.

I picked it up at an antiquarian book store for a couple of bucks.

Moerus
Textkit Fan

Post by Moerus »

Hi there, I will maybe not give you the exspected solution, but a not expensive one. You can find L&S on Perseus or download it from this site: http://www.areopage.net/a32.htm. Anyway if you download L&S you have at least a temporal solution till you find a dictionary of your choice.

Vale,

Moerus

Chris Weimer
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Chris Weimer »

JohnCain wrote:Have had my Chambers Murray Dictionary now for a week or so and am generally very satisfied - thanks for the recommendation.

I have found fully understanding the format of the entries a bit of a challenge ie the 1 A B a etc but am getting used to it. Quite a good learning tool if you have a few minutes while having a break. Choose a word and try to work out the meanings of all the citations
Leads to a sort of chain reaction!
John
I'm glad you enjoy Chambers-Murray! The citations and etymology help profusely. :)

enyafan713
Textkit Neophyte

Post by enyafan713 »

I have John Traupman's "The New College Latin and English Dictionary" in paperback, and it is in abhorrent shape. That was my first dictionary, and I got it before I began taking Latin at my High School (I'm in 11th Grade) three years ago.
I also have two coppies of "Collins Latin Dictionary" in paperback, and this is an EXCELLENT dictionary.
My favourite dictionary is the "Oxford Latin Desk Dictionary," which I use daily. Love it!

Optationes Optimae,

Brina