What Latin words could I use or make up to mean "pan-causal temporal loop"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Zionswasd
Textkit Neophyte

What Latin words could I use or make up to mean "pan-causal temporal loop"

Post by Zionswasd »

Hi there, I've been looking to make up a singular Latin word to mean a pan-causal-temporal loop since I'm pretty sure that's not something they have a word for already in Latin, even though I found separate words for causal, temporal and loop. Any tips on the word parts that I should use to construct the word (assuming it isn't just combining the three words into one)? :?

cb
Textkit Zealot

Re: What Latin words could I use or make up to mean "pan-causal temporal loop"

Post by cb »

Hi, maybe use the Stoic word for the endless cycle of the universe, with (roughly, using your words) "all causes" repeating over and over in a "temporal loop" (it's Greek though): παλιγγενεσία.

Cheers, Chad

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

I think you first need to work out what if anything this means in English.
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Zionswasd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Zionswasd »

Here I can clear it up for you, it means a causal or temporal loop in all worldlines, as opposed to just one worldline.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Zionswasd wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:10 am Here I can clear it up for you, it means a causal or temporal loop in all worldlines, as opposed to just one worldline.
Somehow I don't think that will really answer Seneca's question :lol:
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Some people don't read enough comic books, I see.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

In Greek, I would say something like ὃ ἐν πᾶσι κόσμοις ἑαυτὸ κινεῖ to refer to a self-caused event in every world, which sounds Aristotelian and makes more sense than the original English. Someone else can change that to Latin, since mine isn't good enough.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

jeidsath wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 pm In Greek, I would say something like ὃ ἐν πᾶσι κόσμοις ἑαυτὸ κινεῖ to refer to a self-caused event in every world, which sounds Aristotelian and makes more sense than the original English. Someone else can change that to Latin, since mine isn't good enough.
A fun exercise is to take a translation of a classical author and retrovert it without looking at the original. If you are reasonably competent in the language, you are rarely technically incorrect, but often the original is quite different from your retroversion. I say that to illustrate the "danger" of this sort of thing. What an ancient native speaker might come up with if he understood the concepts and what we render might have been very different. A literal translation of Joel's Greek:

Quod in mundis omnibus se movet.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Zionswasd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Zionswasd »

I'm only a beginner in Latin or I could glean more from my google searching, but I should say I'm looking to make up a word or two out of the right word parts to mean that whole phrase, as opposed to translating the whole phrase, even if said word was never historically used. (And btw I'm sorry for being weird :lol:)

Zionswasd
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Zionswasd »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:21 pm
jeidsath wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 pm In Greek, I would say something like ὃ ἐν πᾶσι κόσμοις ἑαυτὸ κινεῖ to refer to a self-caused event in every world, which sounds Aristotelian and makes more sense than the original English. Someone else can change that to Latin, since mine isn't good enough.
A fun exercise is to take a translation of a classical author and retrovert it without looking at the original. If you are reasonably competent in the language, you are rarely technically incorrect, but often the original is quite different from your retroversion. I say that to illustrate the "danger" of this sort of thing. What an ancient native speaker might come up with if he understood the concepts and what we render might have been very different. A literal translation of Joel's Greek:

Quod in mundis omnibus se movet.
Thank you! I think that's what I'm going for, I just need to find a way to combine them into a Frankenstein's monster hapax legomena!