magistri, magistrae

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Fausta
Textkit Neophyte

magistri, magistrae

Post by Fausta » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Salvete! I was translating the sentence 'Teachers, are your students able to be safe now?' I considered 'teachers' to be masculine (no mention was made that the teachers were women), plural, vocative, and so I used 'Magistri' however the answer key for the text used 'Magistrae' (feminine, plural, vocative). Am I missing something?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: magistri, magistrae

Post by bedwere » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:27 pm

Political correctness applied to Latin.

Aetos
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Aetos » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:47 pm

My first (and for the first four years) Latin teacher was a magistra and it's thanks to her inspiring and enthusiastic presentation of the language that for the rest of my life I found myself always returning to the story and the literature of Rome.

Ronolio
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ronolio » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:35 am

bedwere is absolutely correct. When referring to a group of people in Latin a feminine plural means there are only women in that group. For a group consisting of 10,000 women and 1 man the correct usage is masculine. The Romans were sexist, but not so much as the Greeks.