Does Anyone Know,...?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Cathexis
Textkit Member

Does Anyone Know,...?

Post by Cathexis »

If there is a book or other source, on-line or not, that lists nouns both by frequency AND by declension?
So, most common 4th Declension Neuters, etc. for example. (Well, genu, cornu for that!). But you get the point.
Obviously, the set of ALL nouns is a lot of nouns. So I would see any "top-100" or such as a winner. It would
be ideal if it were a printable list I could drill on.

TIA,

Cathexis
Romani ite Domum

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Does Anyone Know,...?

Post by jeidsath »

http://dcc.dickinson.edu/latin-vocabulary-list

Filter it for the declension you’d like.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

Thank you for finding this but,

It doesn't list the Neuters as a searchable category and it lists frequency by the entirety of the language,
rather than within each declension. You can infer it but it is not quite what I'm looking for. But please,
take no offense! Wanted more of a student's list of frequent nouns but by all the declension categories
as well.

Thanks anyway,

Cathexis
Romani ite Domum

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

If that's all you need, I'd still recommend Dickinson. Click the "CSV" or "XLS" button at the bottom to download it as a spreadsheet. Import it into Google Spreadsheet or Excel, and then use FILTER to create a list by specific gender.

If you want frequency within the declension, you can look at the row number on the left, or add something more fancy based on the absolute language frequency, if you had more than a rank ordering in mind.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Forgive me the OT, Joel. Would the cvs/xls format be indicated to make an expanded and expandable version of ΛΕΞΙΚΟΝ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΟΝ, where people may suggest public domain figures, extra words, glosses, etc? I was thinking of creating a Google doc.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

That's a very good question. I don't know. I think that a spreadsheet on Google Sheets might keep things organized if you expect a lot of editing. But it won't handle pictures very well.

If it were me, I'd use Github. I would start a new repo there, and use the "wiki" functionality. That would let people collaborate and generate a nice webpage at the same time.

HumilisAuditor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by HumilisAuditor »

I've been cross referencing the vocabulary in D'Ooge Latin for Beginners with the Dickinson list and have been surprised by how much of D'Ooge's vocabulary is not on the list. (I'll share the list when I'm done.)

I haven't had a chance to look for this yet, but does anyone know of a larger vocabulary frequency list? Or, what does the second 1,000 most frequently used words list look like? So words 1,001 - 2,000?

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

No,

But I would be interested and appreciative if you would post a link or such, if and when you compile all that.

Cathexis
Romani ite Domum