rēm long vowel?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

rēm long vowel?

Post by jeidsath »

From Morwood's Latin Grammar, pg. 8

bonī est rēm pūblicam cōnseruāre.
It is characteristic of a good man to look after the state.

Is rem the singular accusative of 5th declension feminine rēs? On pg. 17 the singular accusative of rēs is given with a short vowel, making me unsure.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: rēm long vowel?

Post by Hylander »

Short.
Bill Walderman

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Thank you. I’ll contact Morwood about the typo.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

Terrible news, but I've afraid that James Morwood passed away about a year ago, only a month after I corresponded with him last. I'll post a thread on the Open Board with some links to his biography.