The Gallic Wars

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
spqr
Textkit Fan

The Gallic Wars

Post by spqr »

Are the translations by W.A. McDevitte and W.S. Bohn more faithful to the original texts? The Latin texts which my books have use grammar and syntax that are dumbed down. My book also omits large sections of texts to, I would presume, make room for in the book. The major differences I have noted are that my book uses the subjunctive mood and the gerundive much less.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: The Gallic Wars

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Not sure what you are asking. Do you want to know about translations or editions of the Latin? If the latter there are plenty of editions there that are not dumbed down. Google and Amazon are your friends here. If the former, I've never heard of those texts, and I'm personally to lazy to google them :) but would you be looking for translations that reflect the syntax of the Latin as an aid to understanding the Latin?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

spqr
Textkit Fan

Post by spqr »

I am looking for more accurate Latin syntax. I can appreciate why Latin texts are dumbed down for beginning students bit I feel I would like to try more challenging material, in the belief that I may obtain more accurate translations( although I am not sure if a beginner text inherently leads to more inaccurate translations).

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

spqr wrote:I am looking for more accurate Latin syntax. I can appreciate why Latin texts are dumbed down for beginning students bit I feel I would like to try more challenging material, in the belief that I may obtain more accurate translations( although I am not sure if a beginner text inherently leads to more inaccurate translations).
Then you can do no better than getting actual texts of Roman authors. Annotated and/or reader editions might be just the thing.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

more accurate Latin syntax
I agree with Barry - then read the Latin Julius actually wrote!

Here is a student edition I particularly liked.

spqr
Textkit Fan

Post by spqr »

Thanks. T will take your advice and purchase a copy.