Dickinson Summer Latin Workshop

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Dickinson Summer Latin Workshop

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

If you are in PA, DE, or MD this could be for you (or if you want to come from a yet greater distance, I'm sure they wouldn't mind). Of all the college visits we did, this was our daughters' favorite cafeteria, if that's any help... :)

http://blogs.dickinson.edu/dcc/2018/10/ ... HTLNX2XYLg
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Dickinson Summer Latin Workshop

Post by RandyGibbons »

Along with a friend, I attended this Dickinson workshop this past July, as I mentioned in another thread. Coincidentally, I was just speaking with Bret Mulligan last evening. He is a classics professor at Haverford College and will be co-teaching the Martial epigrams (see Barry's link) with Chris Francese (Dickinson faculty).

About that (quite large) cafeteria: The workshop coincides with two other huge summer events there, a cheerleaders' training conference and a conference of gifted students from all around the country (some of you will be familiar with the {national} organization, I wasn't). So if you like being surrounded by an excited mob of teenagers, which I very much did, this is part of the "atmosphere" of the workshop.

Regarding the logistics: You sleep in the college dorm and in most cases will be randomly assigned a roommate (this was not my favorite part of the workshop!). The fee covers all three meals, in the cafeteria. The budget-minded attendees had their pre-paid dinners at the cafeteria, but many of us ate out every night in the many nice restaurants in Carlisle (surrounding the campus and all in easy walking distance), which is a very nice little town.