Fabulae Syrae Ceres er Proserpina

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Sofronios
Textkit Neophyte

Fabulae Syrae Ceres er Proserpina

Post by Sofronios »

again.. still strugling with Miraglia. I think that I somehow cant proceed in my basic Latin study if I cant pass this level
on the book page 41 line 22
tum "Mi Iuppitter" inquit, "tua quoque filia proserpina est; ecce, tandem, postquam diu quaesivi, eam repperi: si 'reperire' vocas, 'scire ubi sit' Aequo animo feram eam a Plutone tam indigne raptam esse: si modo eam reddat! neque enim marito praedone filia tua digna est!"

the way Demeter talk to Zeus, in subjunctive of indirect statement I believe, but how to render it properly?
si 'reperire' vocas, 'scire ubi sit'
if you call 'to find', 'to know where she is'.
does this sentence implies that to find her is (the same as) to know where she is(located)?
thx you in advance
ὁ δὲ εἶπε· πῶς γὰρ ἂν δυναίμην, ἐὰν μή τις ὁδηγήσῃ με;
Qui ait : Et quomodo possum, si non aliquis ostenderit mihi ?

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Fabulae Syrae Ceres er Proserpina

Post by anphph »

Last edited by anphph on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

At least if "finding" is the same as "knowing where she is".
If you call "to find" "to know where she is"
You're right in the interpretation. Implied of course that he found her but that didn't bring him any closer to getting her back.

Jim Bryan
Textkit Member

Post by Jim Bryan »

Sophronius
I was really frustrated with Fabulae Syrae, so justin slocum bailey suggested that I read "Fabulae Faciles" by Ritchie. There is heaps of help available for this book, and sentences are not near as confusing, and maybe Epitome Historiae Sacrae after that. And just keep reading books at this level for a while. It's better if you are "reading" and not "translating" and heaps more fun. :-)
Jim

Sofronios
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sofronios »

Jim Bryan wrote:Sophronius
I was really frustrated with Fabulae Syrae, so justin slocum bailey suggested that I read "Fabulae Faciles" by Ritchie. There is heaps of help available for this book, and sentences are not near as confusing, and maybe Epitome Historiae Sacrae after that. And just keep reading books at this level for a while. It's better if you are "reading" and not "translating" and heaps more fun. :-)
Jim
yeah I know It should be easier. Historia Sacrae is taken from vulgate right?
ὁ δὲ εἶπε· πῶς γὰρ ἂν δυναίμην, ἐὰν μή τις ὁδηγήσῃ με;
Qui ait : Et quomodo possum, si non aliquis ostenderit mihi ?