de renovando: LLPSI Cap XLV

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

de renovando: LLPSI Cap XLV

Post by pmda »

Revocatis deinde ad concilium Latinis, Tarquinius primum eos collaudavit 'quod Turnum pro manifesto scelere merita poena affecissent', deinde cum iis egit de renovando foedere inter Romanos Latinosque.

1) Does pro here mean 'in proportion to' or 'according to'. I notice that L&S offers this as one of its meanings and it would seem right here?

2) Deinde cum iis egit de renovando foedere inter Romanos Latinosque

He dissuaded / forced them from renewing the pact…?

Then we have

Haud difficulter persuasit Latinis, quamquam in eo foedere superior Romana res erat;

He easily persuaded / forced the Latini, although the pact was to the greater advantage of the Romans…

So I must have de renovando wrong because this doesn't follow from the previous sentence..

But I can find no meaning of de other than meaning 'from' in some sense?

truks
Textkit Member

Re: de renovando: LLPSI Cap XLV

Post by truks »

pmda wrote: 2) Deinde cum iis egit de renovando foedere inter Romanos Latinosque

He dissuaded / forced them from renewing the pact…?

So I must have de renovando wrong because this doesn't follow from the previous sentence..

But I can find no meaning of de other than meaning 'from' in some sense?
I think this just means he then discussed, or settled by discussion, the (renewal of the) treaty with them. The OLD gives these usages for agere de aliquo under subsections 40 and 41 of ago. HTH

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Many thanks. That interpretation was my first instinct...but it was an unconscious instinct. In Latin the use of 'de' to mean about or concerning is so common I should have gone with it... but I got sidetracked ...1

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

a. Agere cum aliquo, de aliquo or re or ut, to treat, deal, negotiate, confer, talk with one about a person or thing; to endeavor to persuade or move one, that, etc

Lewis, C. T., & Short, C. (1891). Harpers’ Latin Dictionary (p. 76). New York; Oxford: Harper & Brothers; Clarendon Press.

Dē frequently means "concerning, about..."
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thank you.