Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
- Textkit Fan
- Posts: 206
- Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:39 am
why does liberi mean children as well as free in the plural sense?
- Posts: 988
- Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:47 am
- Location: Music City, USA
I don't know the true reason, but I can tell you as a father that it seems quite intuitive to me.
- Textkit Enthusiast
- Posts: 394
- Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:29 pm
- Location: The Netherlands
As far as I know, liberi were free-born children (as opposed to slaves). So yes, there's an etymological link.
Ceterum censeo edonnelly verum dixisse;-)
Ingrid, mother of two.
- Textkit Neophyte
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:41 pm