adsuetus: how many syllables?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Enthusiast

adsuetus: how many syllables?

Post by hlawson38 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Context: I've been working on scanning, having scanned about 350 lines over the past month. I'm getting about three-fourths of them right, using this web site as a criterion of correctness:

http://hexameter.co/

I keep having trouble with the letter "u": vowel or consonant?

Here is a dictionary entry, with a single macron over the "e": adsuētus. [ In case the macron doesn't come through for you, I'll uppercase the long "e" here: adsuEtus. ] Can I tell from this dictionary entry whether the "u" is to be read as a vowel, which makes "adsuetus" quadrisyllabic, or as a consonant, which makes it trisyllabic? Is there a convention for reading these entries?

I'm working alone, with no teacher to give timely corrections of my errors.
Hugh Lawson

Victor
Textkit Fan

Re: adsuetus: how many syllables?

Post by Victor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:28 pm

I don't know what dictionary you're looking at. A macron over the e doesn't necessarily imply that the u is consonantal.

The (first) u in adsuetus is in fact nearly always consonantal.

Since you're still grappling with scansion, it's probably not much consolation to you to hear that the best guide you have to whether a letter is vocalic or consonantal is usually not a dictionary but how, in a line of verse you're looking at, it happens to scan.

cramberepetita
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cramberepetita » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:16 pm

When a word like consuesco or adsuesco is used in hexametric poetry, the -u- has no choice but to be consonantal, given that the syllable before and after it are invariably long, and a sequence ¯ ˘ ¯ is not permitted.

hlawson38
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by hlawson38 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:57 am

cramberepetita wrote:When a word like consuesco or adsuesco is used in hexametric poetry, the -u- has no choice but to be consonantal, given that the syllable before and after it are invariably long, and a sequence ¯ ˘ ¯ is not permitted.
Yes (slaps hand against head) of course! It's surprising sometimes how many things are obvious once they've been pointed out! Many thanks!
Hugh Lawson

hlawson38
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by hlawson38 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:58 am

Victor wrote:I don't know what dictionary you're looking at. A macron over the e doesn't necessarily imply that the u is consonantal.

The (first) u in adsuetus is in fact nearly always consonantal.

Since you're still grappling with scansion, it's probably not much consolation to you to hear that the best guide you have to whether a letter is vocalic or consonantal is usually not a dictionary but how, in a line of verse you're looking at, it happens to scan.
Right, right! Sometimes it's hard to see the obvious.
Hugh Lawson